Moving country & WHS transfer

Visit site
Having moved back to France from Italy 2 years ago I've decided to play golf properly again (i.e., scores and Hcp etc)
For the past year i've mainly being playing 'bounce' games here and in the UK
So i have joined the FFG but its not clear what they do about a new Hcp for me

Their normal approach is to treat any new FFG member as a novice (in Hcp terms) - but where youre' handicap starts as early as after your first 18 hole card - basically your differential minus 2.
To this aim I'm playing in a "Coupe de Classement" this coming weekend at a nearby club where I occasionally play (but am not a member)

However... i did previously have an Italian golf fefderation Hcp - where my last Hcp (Feb 2022) was 18.6
The FFG website and app don't seem to have a clear way to accommodate this
I can access my scores - including my last 20 and best 8 etc - they are still in the Italian sysytem - and will print and bring to the club I'm doing this at as well - But they may simply "shrug" esp as I'm not a member (although in general everyone is pretty friendly)

Do any of the WHS gurus have any experience of this, for example dealing with an American who has relocated to the UK. Is it as simple as logging on the previous last 20 WHS scores from anywhere?

D-S

Visit site
Having moved back to France from Italy 2 years ago I've decided to play golf properly again (i.e., scores and Hcp etc)

Their normal approach is to treat any new FFG member as a novice (in Hcp terms) - but where youre' handicap starts as early as after your first 18 hole card - basically your differential minus 2.
To this aim I'm playing in a "Coupe de Classement" this coming weekend at a nearby club where I occasionally play (but am not a member)

However... i did previously have an Italian golf fefderation Hcp - where my last Hcp (Feb 2022) was 18.6
I can access my scores - including my last 20 and best 8 etc - they are still in the Italian sysytem - and will print and bring to the club I'm doing this at as well - But they may simply "shrug" esp as I'm not a member (although in general everyone is pretty friendly)

Do any of the WHS gurus have any experience of this, for example dealing with an American who has relocated to the UK. Is it as simple as logging on the previous last 20 WHS scores from anywhere?
Yes - they should just manually enter your past 20 scores and you should have an index of 18.6, this has not lapsed as it can’t. This isn’t yet an automatic process so they have to be done individually and if they can’t look up the courses they can enter them manually.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a mate from England to Scotland .
The sec not knowing the rules asked him to submit 3 cards.

On checking the correct procedure was for him to have supplied a record of his last 20 scores and the sec should have entered these manually.

Alan Clifford

Visit site

South Africa recommend scores for the past year to ensure your lowest is included. But I guess you wouldn't need to do the whole year if your lowest for the year was last week :D "Where possible enter all their Adjusted Gross Scores for rounds played over the last year into the HNA System. This must be done using the Foreign Round score entry procedure"

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

You did say you were not a member. That could be a problem. If you were moving to GB&I you would have to join a club or iGolf. I would have thought France would be the same.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I had a mate from England to Scotland .
The sec not knowing the rules asked him to submit 3 cards.

On checking the correct procedure was for him to have supplied a record of his last 20 scores and the sec should have entered these manually.
That is astonishingly poor from the new sec, basic stuff

D

Deleted member 35504

That is astonishingly poor from the new sec, basic stuff
Agree 👍

Even if he didn't "know" the rules, surely basic common sense would say that the scores are transferred. How on earth can an established golfer put in 3 new cards and potentially get ridiculously different handicap?

There's a massive problem in golf admin with people moving into jobs from other careers when they think it's easy but they have neither the admin nor common sense for it. And we all end up suffering because of it.

D

Deleted member 35504

This was sometime back near the beginning of the WHS.
Doesn't really matter.

There would have been rules and guidelines in place which he should have known, plus how can anyone with a basic ounce of golf knowledge not think that a genuine handicap should be transferred in some way?

Now of course the spanner in the works is that the handicap came out much lower... 😅 So maybe the Sec was right after all

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
South Africa recommend scores for the past year to ensure your lowest is included. But I guess you wouldn't need to do the whole year if your lowest for the year was last week :D "Where possible enter all their Adjusted Gross Scores for rounds played over the last year into the HNA System. This must be done using the Foreign Round score entry procedure"
Don't know what functionality the French authorities have in their system but I did the above to on-board a player who moved to the UK from SA. It wasn't difficult (just tedious) to enter the last 20 scores in date order. I couldn't get the exact handicap but got within 0.2 so that was close enough.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Agree 👍

Even if he didn't "know" the rules, surely basic common sense would say that the scores are transferred. How on earth can an established golfer put in 3 new cards and potentially get ridiculously different handicap?

There's a massive problem in golf admin with people moving into jobs from other careers when they think it's easy but they have neither the admin nor common sense for it. And we all end up suffering because of it.
Not just that but most clubs (in Scotland at least) will have volunteers doing the H'cap Sec role, nevertheless they should be someone with a modicum of understanding otherwise why did they get into that position? And if they don't, then they need to read up on the documents the home authority provide. Not always easy, our Ladies H'cap has been doing it for years, she still has barely a grasp on any of it

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This was sometime back near the beginning of the WHS.

The funny bit about it was he was effectively cut 4/5 shots (from memory) and went to very low single figure which was his aim when he was here.
As Janner says, it doesn't matter, even before WHS you're meant to take into account someone's previous playing history if known, but rather looks like he's just not bothered reading up on any of the position he's agreed to undertake. And tbh, if it was at the start of WHS when we were all learning, surely even more important and likely that he should have been reading up on the changes? Sack him is my suggestion :p

Visit site
Just an update on this
Last weeks event (my first counting round in France) was cancelled due to rain
Its now this weekend..but in the meantime after a quick call then email to the proshop at the club -(along with my past Italian WHS details) they entered all my past 20 counting scores from Italy (last one Feb 2022) into the french system on my behalf - which was pretty good of them
I got my French (FFG) Hcp update today - 18.4 ( it was 18.6) so apparently i got better :)