WHS working well for me

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This 100%. In the UK we've simply never been returners of casual play cards, as a result a style of play during bounce games involves gimmes, dragging back putts for a rego, maybe dropping a ball now and again when you've duffed one, playing in "casual" 4BBB side bets etc.

You can't just change that mentality that is so ingrained.

You can change mentality and culture. But it is hard t do and it isn't done by issuing 200 page manuals!!!

And nuts to that anyway. Some golf is competition, some is "just for fun!" Thank the Lord for the difference!

Swango1980

Visit site
I posted this on the Ryder Cup thread, but maybe WHS fans would be interested what Indexes would be given to Ryder Cup players based on this weekend. Maybe some surprising results, but one thing is for sure, they are all pretty decent players

So, having a look at the hole scores for each player, I was bored and decided to give each player a WHS Index based on the Course Rating and Slope at Whistling Straits, assuming they were posting these scores to get their 1st handicap. I only took the fourballs and singles scores (obviously), so a few players will have fewer than 3 scores. So, I just assumed whatever score(s) they posted, would be their best once there other scores were submitted to make up 3. It is always interesting when us club golfers are usually critical of how players played, how they let us down, etc. However, the results below indicate that all 24 players are still pretty damn good golfers, bearing in mind these scores are also based with having the pressure of the Ryder Cup on their shoulders, rather than going out with a social knock with their mates. Note, Europeans highlighted in bold.

1. D Johnson -11.1
1. D Berger -11.1

3. P Cantlay -10.3
3. B Dechambeau -10.3
3. B Koepka -10.3

6. C Morikawa -9.6
6. V Hofland -9.6
6. P Casey -9.6
6. T Finau -9.6
6. I Poulter -9.6

11. R McIlroy -8.8
11. S Scheffler -8.8
11. J Thomas -8.8
11. J Spieth -8.8
11. T Fleetwood -8.8
11. M Fitzpatrick -8.8

17. S Lowry -8.1
17. S Garcia -8.1
17. B Wiesberger -8.1
17. L Westwood -8.1

21. J Rahm -7.4
21. H English -7.4

23. X Schauffele -6.6

24. T Hatton -5.9

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

So your saying you have an unfair advantage of 1 shot over a player who you are 0.004 shots better than. Because the handicap system is so accurate it can classify peoples ability to thousands of a shot.

Fair point well made.

I would wonder how accurately the PCC and course rating are calculated? If the difficulty cant be resolved to the same accuracy then as Rules Doc mentioned, you are using false precision.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Improves your Maths, less chance of making a mistake on your card in a comp, not turning up in comp and psychologically thinking you’ve lost one or two shots compared to normal?
I just think it's stupid, if I'm to play off 95% all the time then why didn't they just include that in the calculation and make that my handicap in the first place. And I don't see the point about mistakes on the card either as I thought you only need to write gross score anyway.

wjemather

Visit site
Improves your Maths, less chance of making a mistake on your card in a comp, not turning up in comp and psychologically thinking you’ve lost one or two shots compared to normal?
No. More chance of making a mistake by relying on mental arithmetic instead of a computer. In any case, player scorecard requirements are gross hole scores, Course Handicap and certification - other than counting strokes, mental arithmetic is not needed for any of these. Simpler to just play with your Course Handicap and leave any allowances and adjustments to the committee.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just think it's stupid, if I'm to play off 95% all the time then why didn't they just include that in the calculation and make that my handicap in the first place. And I don't see the point about mistakes on the card either as I thought you only need to write gross score anyway.
It’s your prerogative, I can’t imagine why anyone would score themselves differently to normal. Our comp requirements are to have entered your CH and PH if you didn’t factor in the 95% for PH it’s a DQ.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s your prerogative, I can’t imagine why anyone would score themselves differently to normal. Our comp requirements are to have entered your CH and PH if you didn’t factor in the 95% for PH it’s a DQ.
Yet another reason the new system is stupid. The amount of comp rounds I play have been less than one a month to be honest to your perception of 'normal' is not the same as mine. My normal is simply to enjoy the round and play off whatever you believe your handicap is. :LOL:

Is that against par or Course Rating?
I have no idea. But yes, that is probably where the explanation lies.

Swango1980

Visit site
No. More chance of making a mistake by relying on mental arithmetic instead of a computer. In any case, player scorecard requirements are gross hole scores, Course Handicap and certification - other than counting strokes, mental arithmetic is not needed for any of these. Simpler to just play with your Course Handicap and leave any allowances and adjustments to the committee.
Well, when we play roll ups we need players to use their mental arithmetic skills to work out the 95%, no Committee to do it for us. Most of the field just say we'll use Course Handicap. However, given there is money involved, as a single figure handicapper I'm not happy that. Otherwise we might as well just say that anyone with a handicap over 10 gets a bonus point, and anyone over 30 gets 2 bonus points.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
So your saying you have an unfair advantage of 1 shot over a player who you are 0.004 shots better than. Because the handicap system is so accurate it can classify peoples ability to thousands of a shot.

Fair point well made.

I would wonder how accurately the PCC and course rating are calculated? If the difficulty cant be resolved to the same accuracy then as Rules Doc mentioned, you are using false precision.
No. I make no false precision.
I make no other assumptions, claims of accuracy etc of the whole system or any other aspect of the system.
I merely state, as a fact, that the average of 8 calculation is lazy and poor arithmetic.

Swango1980

Visit site
No. I make no false precision.
I make no other assumptions, claims of accuracy etc of the whole system or any other aspect of the system.
I merely state, as a fact, that the average of 8 calculation is lazy and poor arithmetic.
The arithmetic is correct, you are simply occasionally getting a slightly different end result based on the point at which you round numbers in the process. And even on the rare occasion you may get a decimal point difference in result, more often than not it will make zero difference to the handicap you actually use to work out your score in a competition.

You've made your point. No one has disagreed that on these very very very rare occasions you might get this very very marginally different answer. So, you do not need to keep making this point, no one is saying you are wrong. What they do seem to be saying is that, no one cares. And, I do not really think you care. All the way back in post 542 you stated "Personally, I am not stressing or inclined to. I think I will take the easy option of living with it." If that is the case, then stop going on about it. Otherwise you are showing there is much less accuracy with the meaning of your words than the mathematical inaccuracies you keep going on about with WHS.

wjemather

Visit site
Well, when we play roll ups we need players to use their mental arithmetic skills to work out the 95%, no Committee to do it for us. Most of the field just say we'll use Course Handicap. However, given there is money involved, as a single figure handicapper I'm not happy that. Otherwise we might as well just say that anyone with a handicap over 10 gets a bonus point, and anyone over 30 gets 2 bonus points.
Full Course Handicap is equitable for fields of fewer than 30 players - only CONGU (that I'm aware of) has decided to apply the allowance to all competitions.

Why on earth would you want to use 95% allowances in rollups?? Absolutely unnecessary. (As you describe) it's just lower handicappers tipping the odds in their favour.