Which fairway woods have you found best off the deck?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Best of all time I had and still regret getting rid of them were the Callaway Steelhead Plus. Lovely low profile, long (for me) and very forgiving. Can't believe it was around 2003 these came out, possibly earlier
100% agree with this. Best 3 wood I've ever owned or hit. Amazing club, the steelhead plus.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This year I switched the TM M1 (which replaced a TM R580) 16.5 deg for a Ping G425 14 deg I found the latter easier all round but the M1 was not to set to a forgiving weight setting.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Cobra F9's are the easiest woods I've ever hit. The rails on the bottom are excellent.
I purchased the 3 and 5 in these recently, and I'm getting on with them much better than my previous Nike's.
I've also made a slight change to my swing and am actually smacking into the ball now rather than trying to sweep it away. I feel much more confident with a fairway wood in my hand now.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This summer I changed from randomly purchased Cleveland Launcher 3i hybrid and Ping G25 4w…to fitted Ping G425 4h and G425 5w. The oldies were good, but as I was getting new Ping irons and G425 driver I thought I might as well change my ‘fairways’.

It‘s been a real struggle getting a handle on them, really awful at first - I could barely get the ball above shoulder height as my old way of doing it just didn’t work for these two new clubs - but after a good bit of work down range and with my pro, I can see how they are going to be the business for me. I still have to ‘do the doing’, they won’t do it for me.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Re Fairway woods, I've just had a whack with the SIM2 Max, G425 Max & Cobra King S7 retailed at roughly £200, £250 and £150 respectively. I hit the SIM2 Max the best and I'm in two minds whether to pull the trigger, does anyone know if there's likely to be further price drops in Jan/Feb as/when TM update it? Or are the Christmas discounts usually as good as it gets?

D

Deleted member 21258

I like shallow heads, so original Adams Tight lies or the M1's are pretty good for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have an old 7 wood head from Seal - they were a component company, a bit like a down-market Snake Eyes...
Currently sourcing a shaft to go in it..it was a cracking club back in the day..hoping to resurrect it..

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In my bag I have Ping G10 driver 10.5d, 3-wood 15.5d and hybrid 21d
OR
Cobra f-speed driver 10.5d and baffler hybrid 16d (which is a 4-wood in my mind) when I want to have a 1 or 2-iron in the bag.

Both the G10 3-wood and Cobra 16d hybrid are excellent clubs.

RichA

Visit site
I struggle with fairway woods and hybrids. Nothing has so far successfully filled the gap between driver and 4 iron.
Remembering back to when I was an occasional, awful hacker 10+ years ago, I had a La Jolla Knife wood that I bought on eBay. At the time it was the only club longer than a 7 iron that I could hit reliably. Just bought the 3 wood on eBay. At worst it might be funny.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Adams fan here, so XTDs in the bag. I bought 2 3Ws, delofting one for use as 2W off the tee and lofting the other up to 4W for off the deck.

4W works extremely well. Matrix 7Q3 is a very good shaft too Several on Ebay from at 50-55 quid.
Had plenty of 'star' 3Ws in the past (V-Steel, Tight Lies, Sonartecs, Tour Edge Exotics, RBZ) but the XTD 4 beats them all!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a G425 max 3 wood I was going to put on eBay.
It’s in very good condition.
14.5 loft with an Orange Tensi stiff shaft.
Midsize grip. Brand new headcover as I use my own.
They are not cheap and looking for £200 inc postage .
I could get more on eBay but it’s full of muppets,

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adams fan here, so XTDs in the bag. I bought 2 3Ws, delofting one for use as 2W off the tee and lofting the other up to 4W for off the deck.

4W works extremely well. Matrix 7Q3 is a very good shaft too Several on Ebay from at 50-55 quid.
Had plenty of 'star' 3Ws in the past (V-Steel, Tight Lies, Sonartecs, Tour Edge Exotics, RBZ) but the XTD 4 beats them all!
Do you have different headcovers on so you know which is which? I have enough trouble telling my 5 and 7 wood apart even though they're clearly labelled. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you have different headcovers on so you know which is which? I have enough trouble telling my 5 and 7 wood apart even though they're clearly labelled. ?
In effect, Yes! There's a toggle on the headcover to indicate loft (13 v 17).
But 2W spends most of the round hiding in the same slot of the bag as Driver, while 4W is out amongst the Hybrids.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty on Ebay
GolfClubs4Cash, Edinburgh based 'equivalent' to GolfBidder has quite a few listed.
I've bought with them more than once :rolleyes: with no problems.

Yep I've used them as well. However from a personal perspective Golfbidder works better as it isn't too far to their head office and so if I see anything, I tend to go down in person and see if the quality and description matches what is online.