Which fairway woods have you found best off the deck?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29109

Plenty on Ebay
GolfClubs4Cash, Edinburgh based 'equivalent' to GolfBidder has quite a few listed.
I've bought with them more than once :rolleyes: with no problems.
If you want something from GC4C. Watch it on eBay and they will often offer a 10% discount.

evemccc

Visit site
This thread has come up at a time when I’ve questioned the top of my bag, and am researching woods and hybrids for the first time

My question(s) / invitations for comments from fairway wood and hybrid users..

1) Is 3W a useful club? I can definitely see it’s advantage off the tee or on par 5s, but it’s supposed to be as hard to hit as they come

2) Do the people who fit aftermarket / non-stock shafts in their Driver, also do the same for their fairway woods and or hybrids?
(My line of thinking - or hunch - is that it’s possibly less important, as the Driver is the most important at the top of the bag. Certainly I don’t yet see the same shaftoid discussions on here or on WRX for different shafts other than stock, generally)

3) If an easy-to-hit 5W is used off the fairway, presumably this replaces the need for a hybrid?

4) Are lofted fairway woods (5W/7W etc) out of the light rough, similar to hybrids — as in fairly easy to hit, and more so than irons?

So far in my thinking I’ve got as far as assuming i could use a hybrid out of the light rough and for par 5s and long par 4s to stop the ball onto the green — and for use in no/light wind

I can also see the benefit in a fairway-finder 3W off the tee, and esp when the driver is too short for par 4s or holes with dog-legs

The bad news is that’s 2 new clubs ?

However, everything I’ve read (admittedly some of it may well be marketing exaggeration) about the Cobra Radspeed with its rails suggests it’s fairly easy to hit, so wouldn’t a Radspeed 5W possibly negate the need for hybrid?

cheers??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depends on how far you hit them more than the number on the bottom..just like irons.
If the fairways give you the flight and distance you need then you're on to a winner
Likewise a 3w/2hybrids combo...
I have a 4w a 3h(20°), 4h (24°) then into the irons
Going to have a play with a 7w as there's not much real world gap between the hybrids..
I believe that there are very few club golfers that need a 14.5/15° 3w....most don't have the speed or delivery to get the best out of them.

evemccc

Visit site
Depends on how far you hit them more than the number on the bottom..just like irons.
If the fairways give you the flight and distance you need then you're on to a winner
Likewise a 3w/2hybrids combo...
I have a 4w a 3h(20°), 4h (24°) then into the irons
Going to have a play with a 7w as there's not much real world gap between the hybrids..
I believe that there are very few club golfers that need a 14.5/15° 3w....most don't have the speed or delivery to get the best out of them.

I could see how that could be / is true off the deck, but is it foolish to consider a 15 degree fairway-finding 3W purely for off the tee on short par 4s? EDIT: I’ll be honest, this IS what I am considering!!

Also, where do people test or try out different clubs (short of the occasional “gizza-whack” to their PP)? I’ve surely exhausted my closest AG’s patience ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I could see how that could be / is true off the deck, but is it foolish to consider a 15 degree fairway-finding 3W purely for off the tee on short par 4s? EDIT: I’ll be honest, this IS what I am considering!!

Also, where do people test or try out different clubs (short of the occasional “gizza-whack” to their PP)? I’ve surely exhausted my closest AG’s patience ?
Apart from Driver and putter I don't like to have a club that is just for 1 thing.
A 3w fairway finder has one use..a 4 w has 2...with minimal, if any, loss of distance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Apart from Driver and putter I don't like to have a club that is just for 1 thing.
A 3w fairway finder has one use..a 4 w has 2...with minimal, if any, loss of distance.
That is only 'logical' if the 14 club limit really IS a limit to num of clubs in your bag. If it's not, then there's no issue with carrying 1-use only clubs. It makes more sense, at least if playing different, but known, courses, to set the bag up for the particular course. Playing West Course, I'd certainly have a lob wedge in the bag (that I'd hope to not use!) for use in the steep-faced bunkers. Highly unlikely to need one on other courses.

D

Deleted member 29109

Yes. You are unlikely to be much more accurate with a 3 wood than a driver that is suited to you. All you are doing is giving up distance.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Similar to this train of thought, I went with the cobra f8 3/4 fairway and cranked the loft to maximum 16.5*. It’s a great bat and I find it very workable in the way of being able to fizz it low of flight or of the tee when needed. But…. I’m finding myself using it less and less due to my current course set up. Off the forward tees I find myself pulling it just because I haven’t hit it all round and off the beck tee’s I use it to lay up short of a hazard on a p5 off the tee and fit our longest p3 if it’s into wind. With a little more swing work the clubs will change for these shots and I’ll probably end up dropping the 3w and adding a 2h as I find that a very consistent club.

As other have said I would set your bag up around your home course and couple this with a gapping session to ensure you have equal distances, but there isn’t a set rule of thumb. When I’m struggling with the 2h the 4w becomes more in play and visa versa, but they are both the same distance ish but with different flights.

evemccc

Visit site
When I’m struggling with the 2h the 4w becomes more in play and visa versa, but they are both the same distance ish but with different flights.

@Oddsocks

The 4W being higher? So shorter stopping distance but more susceptible to windy conditions?

I’m now thinking about getting an adjustable 18 degree 5W. With the intention and aim being for long 5s, to stop quickly on green, good out of light rough, and fairway finding on short par 4s off the tee. The downside (I’m guessing) is this wouldn’t be much good into the wind or in windy links conditions because of the height..

Is the advantage of a 2/3 Hybrid over a 5W that of lower trajectory (so benefiting in the wind but longer stopping distance on greens?) Again, it would be good on long par 5s I’m guessing

Both I’m assuming would be generally longer than my 21 degree 4 iron, with shorter stopping distance, but higher ball flight — and hopefully both easier to hit consistently well?

Before I test any, I want to understand the relative pros and cons…thinking 3H or 5W at the moment ??

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m pretty fortunately in that the 4w off the deck can sit pretty low flighting at about 30/40ft so is great in the wind, but it does roll out making it hard to stop on firmer greens. The 2d can be struck with the same flight height but generally not as “hot” so will stop quicker. The 2h can be hit high or low off the tee. The more I look on it the more I feel they are both the same club, the 4w being ever so slightly longer.

In the past in winter months I haven’t used driver from the front tees. This allowed me to play similar second shots and approach shots into p4 & p5 holes in worse conditions. I found that from forward tees on either qualifiers people would take on shots that were just not possibly in the summer months off the whites and would get cut to handicaps that they simply couldn’t play to.

An example was my old first. Of the whites the dogleg was at about 250/260 and at 90* to a 180 yd approach to a tricky green that was very fast and rolled back to front. In the summer you had to come in with alot of club and would end up with a very fast downhill putt. A 5 was seen as a good score. In the winter from forward tees people would cut the corner, go in to a softer green with a mid to low ish iron which would hold and more than likely walk off with a par. If this isn’t how the hole is played in majors and through the main season why play the hole this way. I would continue to play the hole all through the winter as intended so I was comfortable with the hole come spring when the whites come out, and I did this on most holes. My HC never dropped in the spring but was always solid through the summer where as others would be shooting outside of buffer for a long period and get down beat. Was I protecting my HC or was I playing smart preparing for the following season?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When I’m struggling with the 2h the 4w becomes more in play and visa versa, but they are both the same distance ish but with different flights.
The 4W being higher? So shorter stopping distance but more susceptible to windy conditions?

I’m now thinking about getting an adjustable 18 degree 5W. With the intention and aim being for long 5s, to stop quickly on green, good out of light rough, and fairway finding on short par 4s off the tee. The downside (I’m guessing) is this wouldn’t be much good into the wind or in windy links conditions because of the height..

Is the advantage of a 2/3 Hybrid over a 5W that of lower trajectory (so benefiting in the wind but longer stopping distance on greens?) Again, it would be good on long par 5s I’m guessing

Both I’m assuming would be generally longer than my 21 degree 4 iron, with shorter stopping distance, but higher ball flight — and hopefully both easier to hit consistently well?

Before I test any, I want to understand the relative pros and cons…thinking 3H or 5W at the moment ??
I had a (Sonartec) 2H many years ago (very early 2000s and before Todd Hamilton won The Open using one) having never thought about a 5W as an alternative (ego?). 5W would definitely have been easier to hit off fairway and a higher flight. The 2H was easy to hit from light rough (in fact probably better than from the fairway) and quite good from medium rough or from trees (better than a 5W would have been imo) but neither would have been used from deeper rough.
21* is about the start of 4H lofts (so your 4i must be 'old school-ish'?). 19* is typical 3H loft. I'd expect stopping distance to be (shortest to longest) 4i, 4H (pretty close though and might be reverse), 5W.
Depending on how well/consistent you hit your 4i, your 3H, 5W setup seems sensible. Somewhere you have to make a compromise and that seems an appropriate point. Are you really expecting to get near 1-putt range consistently from 3H/5W range?

Hoganman1

Visit site
I play the Callaway Mavrik Max fairways. I carry a three, a five and a seven. I was struggling with my fairways off the deck before I switched to the Mavriks. I won't be changing anytime soon. You can probably find them on the used club sites or EBay. My guess is the new Big Berthas are good too since they replaced the Maxriks.

AliMc

Visit site
If you play at a links Imurg a 3w has more than one use, yes it is good off the tee but also needed to get anywhere close to long par 4's into the wind, probably the strongest club in the bag for me

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting thread.

I'm inconsistent with my Titleist 3 wood... so giving serious consideration to replacing it with something with a bit more loft.

I carry 19 and 22 degree SIM rescues, pretty consistent with them, looking for something I can hit longer than the 19.

If you like your Sim rescues, what about the fairways? I have a SIM Max 3 wood and it’s the easiest (only) 3 wood I’ve felt confident with off the deck. Maybe because I got it with a shorter shaft.

Edit : I see you have already pulled the trigger on Ping.

sunshine

Visit site
2010 burner / burner super fast or v steels. That much so I’m trying to find a V steel as we speak. I just find the soles work well.

The SIM Max fairways incorporate the V steel sole design.

Amazing how a simple design, just like the Cobra rails, has endured despite all the (alleged) incredible tech advances.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been inspired by this thread to change my 3 wood which hasnt really been working for me off the fairway for a number of years.

It's a titleist 915 FD 15 degree. Worked really well off the tee but I could never get the height to go into greens with it.

Replaced it with a older version 910 f 15 with a diamana ilima shaft. Supposedly a high launching shaft.

Wont get a chance to hit it for a while but its here and waiting now. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been inspired by this thread to change my 3 wood which hasnt really been working for me off the fairway for a number of years.

It's a titleist 915 FD 15 degree. Worked really well off the tee but I could never get the height to go into greens with it.

Replaced it with a older version 910 f 15 with a diamana ilima shaft. Supposedly a high launching shaft.

Wont get a chance to hit it for a while but its here and waiting now. :)

Hit this at the range a few times tonight. In the bag for Saturday. The right move I think.

Boomy

Visit site

@Oddsocks

I play predominantly links golf so my parkland playing friends think I’ve got my bag set up a bit funny.. but it works for me - and that is the key ??

Driver: 10.5 degrees - Tee shots into wind, longer holes.
5 Wood: 18 degrees - Tee shots with wind, shorter holes, lands soft into par 5’s.
2 Iron: 18 degrees - Keeps flight down and runs the ball for fun, used off the tee and long second shots, especially useful when windy.
4 hybrid: 21 degrees - Great out of light rough, long par 3’s to land softer.

Then it’s irons 5-PW, 50, 54, 58 wedges and a putter.

For what I lose in distance not having a 15 degree 3 wood in there I more than make up in consistency with the 5 wood and feel much more confident off the deck with it. The 3 wood was rarely used so it ended up a bit of a bag ornament…

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The SIM Max fairways incorporate the V steel sole design.

Amazing how a simple design, just like the Cobra rails, has endured despite all the (alleged) incredible tech advances.

I agree. I’ve just put my f8 3 wood up for sale which has the rails, it’s been replaced with a speedzone which also has them. I think cobra will stick with them for a bit

evemccc

Visit site
I play predominantly links golf so my parkland playing friends think I’ve got my bag set up a bit funny.. but it works for me - and that is the key ??

Driver: 10.5 degrees - Tee shots into wind, longer holes.
5 Wood: 18 degrees - Tee shots with wind, shorter holes, lands soft into par 5’s.
2 Iron: 18 degrees - Keeps flight down and runs the ball for fun, used off the tee and long second shots, especially useful when windy.
4 hybrid: 21 degrees - Great out of light rough, long par 3’s to land softer.

Then it’s irons 5-PW, 50, 54, 58 wedges and a putter.

For what I lose in distance not having a 15 degree 3 wood in there I more than make up in consistency with the 5 wood and feel much more confident off the deck with it. The 3 wood was rarely used so it ended up a bit of a bag ornament…

I’m playing a few good links this year

I’ve just got a new high bounce SW….aim was to use it as my highest lofted wedge to free space at the top of my bag…and I was going to take out the bag my 60:06 Lob

On firm heathland and links turf, is low bounce ‘better’, and more picking the ball and less steep?