What's the most 'snobbyness' you've experienced at a club?

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
the sock debate at Ashridge always up there with the best of them. why would i wear shorts if im going to have to wear socks upto my knees! always amusing seeing people tee off in waterproof trousers in burning hot conditions lol

I don't believe that is the case any more, just need white socks which aren't the ankle type

D

Deleted member 15344

the sock debate at Ashridge always up there with the best of them. why would i wear shorts if im going to have to wear socks upto my knees! always amusing seeing people tee off in waterproof trousers in burning hot conditions lol

The same at Northampton County Course

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Played at a mates course early on a Saturday I was first to arrive to a completly empty car park. So parked in a bay avoiding those marked reserve. Reprimanded by a member 10 minutes later for parking the wrong way round (180 degrees).

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Didn't have a jacket on and was asked to remove myself from the lounge at kilermont golf club. Quite happy to do so, as it was in the middle of a heatwave and the room was rather stuffy anyway.

Thoroughly enjoyed my beer sitting on the wall outside in the shade, I even undid the top button of my shirt and loosened my tie - that's how I roll!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Didn't have a jacket on and was asked to remove myself from the lounge at kilermont golf club. Quite happy to do so, as it was in the middle of a heatwave and the room was rather stuffy anyway.

Thoroughly enjoyed my beer sitting on the wall outside in the shade, I even undid the top button of my shirt and loosened my tie - that's how I roll!

You're dangerous! ;)

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
I wasn't there, but a mate purchased white ankle socks from pro shop, put them on only to be told by the starter he couldn't wear them on the course. Short discussion, they tee'd off anyway with the starter following them up the first telling them he'd be calling the police and they were now trespassing as they were on the course without permission.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was told by a barman whilst in the spike bar that he would serve me in the other bar.

When I entered the there bar he said I wasn't allowed in without a jacket. I told him you asked me in. He said I will bring the drinks outside to where we were sitting. really odd chap. it was only us and him at the club. We were last off the course.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like to collect ball markers, my daughter was in The USA and called in at a very famous ("star studded")course in LA and TRIED to picked up a ball marker, she was asked for her 'card', she said it's only a few dollars so can I pay cash, the reply 'no miss card only', so she got her card out, 'no miss, members card', she explained it was a gift for me, the reply was no, you need a members card, so she offered to put $10 into a charity, the reply 'no miss, you need a members card'. She told them in no uncertain terms to get over themselves and get lost. It's not a ball marker I regret not having. American monied snobbery really can be unbearable.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well after reading these i'm glad i play at some less prestigious courses where i have never encountered such tomfoolery!

I agree.

I've got a few friends that can't understand why I play golf because of the perceived elitism, pointless rules and general "old-fashionedness" of the game.

At the moment, I'm struggling to give them a good answer.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would write a letter of complaint to the club secretary. It's unlikely that your experience is unique with the marshal and he may put off many visitors to that club.If nothing else, it may save someone else from a similar encounter.

I received poor customer service from the pro when visiting a local, expensive course and emailed the club sec. Within 24 hours I received a very courteous reply along with an open dated invite for a round of golf plus coffee and sandwiches for 2 people.

Where was that Jabba? if your local to me I might try that lol or I might have experienced it myself tbh.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was told by a barman whilst in the spike bar that he would serve me in the other bar.

When I entered the there bar he said I wasn't allowed in without a jacket. I told him you asked me in. He said I will bring the drinks outside to where we were sitting. really odd chap. it was only us and him at the club. We were last off the course.

Ha this guy sounds a hoot.... Surely on the wind up more than anything

G

guest100718

A lot of these just sound like any private members club you could could care to visit.