The seven most common Rules breaches at our club

Steven Rules

Visit site
And will probably continue to not mark.

Two questions.

Rhetorical one first: How do you feel about Rule 1.3b(1)? - If a player knows that he or she has breached a Rule that involves a penalty and deliberately fails to apply the penalty, the player is disqualified.

The second one I am genuinely interested to know the answer. (Following post #67) Hypothetically, if somebody saw you lift/touch/rotate your ball to identify it without first marking it and said something like "Hey, you need to mark your ball first if you are going to do that. You've just incurred a one stroke penalty. " How would you respond? ....hypothetically

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
5. Marking and lifting another player's ball without the authorisation of the other player (Rule 14.1b)
(Disclosure - this one is a personal pet peeve of mine.)
The player’s ball may be lifted under the Rules only by the player, or anyone the player authorises, but such authorisation must be given each time before the ball is lifted rather than given generally for the round.

So what’s the penalty here? The player whose ball was lifted, or the player who did the unauthorised lifting ? Or isn’t there a penalty ? Rule 14.1b penalty only refers to a caddy lifting a ball.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was caddying yesterday afternoon and the opponent of my player carved one way left over trees possibly into a penalty area, she proceed to drop a ball on the fairway infront of the penalty area (nowhere near where it might have crossed saying I will play one from here just in case, my player happily let here. I was gobsmacked and itching to say something but had been told on the first tee not to get involved with rules discussions. My player won the hole anyway so all good but I could believe neither of them did not know it was wrong in so many ways

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
5. Marking and lifting another player's ball without the authorisation of the other player (Rule 14.1b)
The player’s ball may be lifted under the Rules only by the player, or anyone the player authorises, but such authorisation must be given each time before the ball is lifted rather than given generally for the round.

So what’s the penalty here? The player whose ball was lifted, or the player who did the unauthorised lifting ? Or isn’t there a penalty ? Rule 14.1b penalty only refers to a caddy lifting a ball.
9.6 Ball Lifted or Moved by Outside Influence
If it is known or virtually certain that an outside influence (including another player in stroke play or another ball) lifted or moved a player’s ball:
  • There is no penalty, and
  • The ball must be replaced on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2).

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
And further to rulefan's response - replacing
b. Who Must Replace Ball and How It Must Be Replaced
(1) Who May Replace Ball: The player’s ball must be replaced under the Rules only by:
  • The player, or
  • Any person who lifted the ball or caused it to move (even if that person was not allowed to do so under the Rules).
If the player plays a ball that was replaced by someone not allowed to do so, the player gets one penalty stroke.

yandabrown

Visit site
I'm not sure I have this right, it doesn't seem to make sense:
I can pick up someone else's ball without marking it and replace it and no one gets any penalties but if I do it to my own ball, I do?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can pick up someone else's ball without marking it and replace it and no one gets any penalties but if I do it to my own ball, I do?
You are responsible for any action you may take in respect of your ball. No one else is.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Brings to mind an incident of a couple of months ago. I was walking towards my ball and so was a player from an adjacent fairway. He thought my ball was his but I could see his a little further on.

He arrived at my ball when I was still twenty or thirty yards away. He was looking down at the ball a little confused. I told him "I think you'll find that ball is mine." He obviously didn't hear me as he bent down and picked it up without marking it. He saw that it wasn't his, put it back on the ground and started to walk off.

By this time I was very close and added "....which is just as well for you because if it was yours that would have been a one stroke penalty."

I don't think he realised what I was getting at and he just kept walking off towards his ball.

salfordlad

Visit site

That's covered fully earlier. There is no penalty in stroke play (9.6 applies), one stroke penalty match play (9.5 applies). And it can be a significant discourtesy, especially away from the putting green.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Brings to mind an incident of a couple of months ago. I was walking towards my ball and so was a player from an adjacent fairway. He thought my ball was his but I could see his a little further on.

He arrived at my ball when I was still twenty or thirty yards away. He was looking down at the ball a little confused. I told him "I think you'll find that ball is mine." He obviously didn't hear me as he bent down and picked it up without marking it. He saw that it wasn't his, put it back on the ground and started to walk off.

By this time I was very close and added "....which is just as well for you because if it was yours that would have been a one stroke penalty."

I don't think he realised what I was getting at and he just kept walking off towards his ball.
This person's action is disappointing, I guess we all have a job to do in educating others.