The seven most common Rules breaches at our club

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If a player puts another ball down and says nothing at all, or, anything that doesn't include the word "provisional" wouldn't it be pretty easy to just ask if it's a provisional or not - it would take away any doubt and I can't see how anyone could take offence.
Absolutely...

If a player sets up to play a 2nd ball and I have not heard him mention the word 'provisional' I will, in a very matter-of-fact way, ask him if he is putting a new ball into play. Most of the time he is not and I know he is not, but I do not let him get away with not saying that he is playing a provisional. My question is usually enough to elicit the appropriate word - and if it is not I repeat my question or ask what he is doing.

Yes I know...but it's not difficult to get it right and thems the rules and they are the rules for very good reasons.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A common one I see is a player teeing up wrong side of tee markers - always a mistake rather than ignorance of the rule but a rule breach nonetheless. And I always pull them up if playing competitively.

Swango1980

Visit site
A common one I see is a player teeing up wrong side of tee markers - always a mistake rather than ignorance of the rule but a rule breach nonetheless. And I always pull them up if playing competitively.
Years ago, on the 17th hole on Day 2 of the club champs, one of the guys in contention in the final group did that. One of the guys he played with, also in contention, pointed it out to the 3rd guy in the group and said something like "this is going to cost him". The chap hit his drive, and then the guy who spotted it said he was afraid he was going to have to hit 3 off the tee, as he wasn't in the teeing area.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Years ago, on the 17th hole on Day 2 of the club champs, one of the guys in contention in the final group did that. One of the guys he played with, also in contention, pointed it out to the 3rd guy in the group and said something like "this is going to cost him". The chap hit his drive, and then the guy who spotted it said he was afraid he was going to have to hit 3 off the tee, as he wasn't in the teeing area.

That’s despicable.

Swango1980

Visit site
That’s despicable.
Indeed it was. The guy who was penalised took it well, all things considered. Justice was served really though. The chap that brought up the rules breach had the winning score in that last group, but when he got in he was beaten by a chap who had a better score in the penultimate group.

Swango1980

Visit site
W

Could someone point out to our North East friend that this is wrong since he won't see my post.

Edit: No sooner said than already done. (y)
Several people might need to do so. I think he has me on ignore, and maybe salfordlad? The only person I think he can still see, who speaks on the rules, is rulefan?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
My apologies, fine lines indeed
It certainly is..
From the Rules of Golf:
Announcing Play of Provisional Ball
Before the stroke is made, the player must announce that he or she is going to play a provisional ball:
  • It is not enough for the player only to say that he or she is playing another ball or is playing again.
  • The player must use the word “provisional” or otherwise clearly indicate that he or she is playing the ball provisionally under Rule 18.3. (my bold)
If the player does not announce this (even if he or she intended to play a provisional ball) and plays a ball from where the previous stroke was made, that ball is the player’s ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (see Rule 18.1).

From the Interpretations:
18.3b/2 – Statements That “Clearly Indicate” That a Provisional Ball Is Being Played
When playing a provisional ball, it is best if the player uses the word “provisional” in his or her announcement. However, other statements that make it clear that the player’s intent is to play a provisional ball are acceptable.

Examples of announcements that clearly indicate the player is playing a provisional ball include:

• “I’m playing a ball under Rule 18.3.”
  • “I’m going to play another just in case.”
Examples of announcements that do not clearly indicate the player is playing a provisional ball and mean that the player would be putting a ball into play under stroke and distance include:

• “I’m going to re-load.”
  • “I’m going to play another.”

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
A friend who referees amateur competitions tells me that the most common breach is rule 7.3:

Lifting Ball to Identify It

If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
  • The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
  • The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).
If the lifted ball is the player’s ball or another player’s ball, it must be replaced on its original spot (see Rule 14.2).
If the player lifts his or her ball under this Rule when not reasonably necessary to identify it (except on the putting greenwhere the player may lift under Rule 13.1b), fails to mark the spot of the ball before lifting it or cleans it when not allowed, the player gets one penalty stroke.

I suspect many of us either do, or witness, the ‘rotating’ bit without marking, in the belief that the ball isn’t being lifted or changing its lie to any appreciable extent and its therefore OK. I admit I wasn’t aware of the need to mark before rotating the ball in situ until recently.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wasnt aw
A friend who referees amateur competitions tells me that the most common breach is rule 7.3:

Lifting Ball to Identify It

If a ball might be a player’s ball but cannot be identified as it lies:
  • The player may lift the ball to identify it (including by rotating it), but:
  • The spot of the ball must first be marked, and the ball must not be cleaned more than needed to identify it (except on the putting green) (see Rule 14.1).
If the lifted ball is the player’s ball or another player’s ball, it must be replaced on its original spot (see Rule 14.2).
If the player lifts his or her ball under this Rule when not reasonably necessary to identify it (except on the putting greenwhere the player may lift under Rule 13.1b), fails to mark the spot of the ball before lifting it or cleans it when not allowed, the player gets one penalty stroke.

I suspect many of us either do, or witness, the ‘rotating’ bit without marking, in the belief that the ball isn’t being lifted or changing its lie to any appreciable extent and its therefore OK. I admit I wasn’t aware of the need to mark before rotating the ball in situ until recently.

Wasnt aware of that one since this thread. And will probably continue to not mark. The same as not checking with the player before marking their ball.
I will not brush sand away off the green, which I always would have done, as that could give advantage.
I would never call someone out for not nominating a provisional. They may gain an advantage. But its in the lifes-too-short category for me.

salfordlad

Visit site
Wasnt aw

Wasnt aware of that one since this thread. And will probably continue to not mark. The same as not checking with the player before marking their ball.
IMO, that complicates life on the course, do I/should I mark here? Is my opponent watching? Easier to adopt the simple, universal approach of always marking before deliberately lifting (including touching/rotating) any ball that needs to be played from where it lies. Single qualification is don't touch your opponent's ball in match play (without permission).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wasnt aw

I will not brush sand away off the green, which I always would have done, as that could give advantage.
I would never call someone out for not nominating a provisional. They may gain an advantage. But its in the lifes-too-short category for me.
You can, see #38

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/thre...ules-breaches-at-our-club.112931/post-2539665

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When in playing out of a bunker your clubhead gently brushes, even touches, the sand at start of backswing. I have no idea how common this actually is, but suspect it to be quite common. In most instances it would require the player to call penalty on himself as it is unlikely that any other player would notice especially the most minor breaches.

I‘ll add similar…ball moves as a result of being addressed…(except on green) - even if not actually touched.

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Wasnt aw

Until someone calls you out and you receive the required penalty stroke for the breach? Player integrity?