The seven most common Rules breaches at our club

Steven Rules

Visit site
A while back, one of the articles I wrote for our club's monthly newsletter was 'The seven most common Rules breaches at [our club]'

By popular(?) demand I have been asked to share it here. I hope you are not underwhelmed. The original article was two pages long. Under each heading I outlined the common faults and misconcepitions, and then summarised or quoted the correct way to proceed under the Rules.

For the purposes of making this post a manageable size, I have edited it down to barely more than the headings in most cases. I think that should be sufficient for you to get the idea. I suspect the issues will be pretty common and recognisable across most clubs. Maybe some clubs have some other 'niche' issues that arise from something unique or specific to their layout or culture.

I am happy to hear your experiences and if you think there are others that could go on the list. At the risk of stating the obvious - let's have a discussion.

The seven most common Rules breaches at [our club]

1. Advice (See Definitions and Rule 10.2a)

2. Dropping in, and therefore playing from, a wrong place. Main causes:
• Choosing incorrect reference point.
• Not taking complete relief.
• Adjusting the reference point or relief area so as to avoid dropping in an unfavourable position, such as behind a tree.
• Dropping or placing the ball closer to the hole than the reference point or the original spot.

3. Failing to mark the ball when touching or lifting it to identify it. (Rule 7.3)

4. Removing sand or loose soil other than on the putting green. (Rule 8.1a(4))

5. Marking and lifting another player's ball without the authorisation of the other player (Rule 14.1b)
(Disclosure - this one is a personal pet peeve of mine.)
The player’s ball may be lifted under the Rules only by the player, or anyone the player authorises, but such authorisation must be given each time before the ball is lifted rather than given generally for the round.

6. Failing to properly or clearly announce a provisional ball (Rule 18.3b)

7. Overlooking breaches of the Rules (Rule 20.1c(2))
To protect the interests of all other players in a stroke play competition if a player knows or believes that another player has breached or might have breached the Rules and that the other player does not recognise or is ignoring this, the player should tell the other player, the player’s marker, a referee or the Committee. If the player fails to do so, the Committee may disqualify the player if it decides that this was serious misconduct contrary to the spirit of the game.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Under #2 you could also add.
Lifting the ball before deciding where to drop then not wanting to take relief.

Not liking where the ball has come to rest after a drop so picking it up and dropping it again.

Taking incorrect relief in the first place. Wanting relief from an animal hole when your ball is 6ft into a bush is a classic.

wjemather

Visit site
Good list - and all very familiar to us. I created a number of laminated rules cards last year that covered many of these issues (and explained how they relate to our local rules) - I believe they gone virtually unnoticed in the bar since then.

I do have one addition to your list, which happens constantly: Lost ball; i.e. players continuing to play a ball found long after 3 minutes of searching.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
A while back, one of the articles I wrote for our club's monthly newsletter was 'The seven most common Rules breaches at [our club]'

By popular(?) demand I have been asked to share it here. I hope you are not underwhelmed. The original article was two pages long. Under each heading I outlined the common faults and misconcepitions, and then summarised or quoted the correct way to proceed under the Rules.

For the purposes of making this post a manageable size, I have edited it down to barely more than the headings in most cases. I think that should be sufficient for you to get the idea. I suspect the issues will be pretty common and recognisable across most clubs. Maybe some clubs have some other 'niche' issues that arise from something unique or specific to their layout or culture.

I am happy to hear your experiences and if you think there are others that could go on the list. At the risk of stating the obvious - let's have a discussion.

The seven most common Rules breaches at [our club]

1. Advice (See Definitions and Rule 10.2a)

2. Dropping in, and therefore playing from, a wrong place. Main causes:
• Choosing incorrect reference point.
• Not taking complete relief.
• Adjusting the reference point or relief area so as to avoid dropping in an unfavourable position, such as behind a tree.
• Dropping or placing the ball closer to the hole than the reference point or the original spot.

3. Failing to mark the ball when touching or lifting it to identify it. (Rule 7.3)

4. Removing sand or loose soil other than on the putting green. (Rule 8.1a(4))

5. Marking and lifting another player's ball without the authorisation of the other player (Rule 14.1b)
(Disclosure - this one is a personal pet peeve of mine.)
The player’s ball may be lifted under the Rules only by the player, or anyone the player authorises, but such authorisation must be given each time before the ball is lifted rather than given generally for the round.

6. Failing to properly or clearly announce a provisional ball (Rule 18.3b)

7. Overlooking breaches of the Rules (Rule 20.1c(2))
To protect the interests of all other players in a stroke play competition if a player knows or believes that another player has breached or might have breached the Rules and that the other player does not recognise or is ignoring this, the player should tell the other player, the player’s marker, a referee or the Committee. If the player fails to do so, the Committee may disqualify the player if it decides that this was serious misconduct contrary to the spirit of the game.
No. 5 is interesting because in stroke play, there is no penalty to anyone when a player marks and lifts another player's ball without authorization.

Steven Rules

Visit site
No. 5 is interesting because in stroke play, there is no penalty to anyone when a player marks and lifts another player's ball without authorization.
Yes. Without a penalty attached, it is more like a point of etiquette. But it is a rule - and a commonly breached one.

salfordlad

Visit site
My main addition was also breach of the 3 min search time limit, WJ got there first. And I agree it is a good list.

Some further additions would be: a) taking lateral penalty relief rather than S&D when there is no true KVC - players treating "probably" as 95 per cent certain; b) minor - or even not so minor - improvements of CATS through pressing down grass, little nudges, pulling out growing things etc; c) moving ball accidentally when moving loose impediments such as twigs but failing to self penalise and replace; and d) deliberately leaving a helping ball in place close to the hole rather than protecting the field.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agree with these. Another one could be players, believing their ball could have gone into a penalty area (and do not believe it could be lost anywhere else), declare they will play a provisional. Statements like "that could have bounced back into the water, I'll play a provy"

D

Deleted member 3432

I'd be happy if the members could be bothered to repair their pitchmark on the odd occasion they hit a green and rake the bunker after the mess they create....

What chance of them having any understanding of the rules if they can't manage the above?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know if this one is a sub-set of item 2 in OP's list, or a new one in its own right. But, when a ball is in a penalty area, taking a drop with reference to where the ball is lying, rather than where it last crossed the margin of the PA.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thinking you can drop a ball back on the line from whence it came rather than back on a line with the flag - had this a couple of times in recent weeks.

Also thinking that giving advice isn’t against the rules - but asking is!
10.2a says otherwise
10.2a. Advice
During a round, you must not give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,