What's the most 'snobbyness' you've experienced at a club?

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
I've played a fair few courses in the past few months and most people have been so friendly and welcoming - as a beginner and newcomer to the so called 'snobs sport' pretty much everyone I've come in contact with couldn't have been nicer.

However, at our local course Tilgate we had a tee time of 0640 booked so I went the previous evening to pick up trolley tokens and scorecards, turned up nice and early the following day and the Marshall was hideous! Almost refused to believe we had a tee time booked and were trying to sneak on the course, despite me having the email confirmation!

What snobby experiences have you had?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've played a fair few courses in the past few months and most people have been so friendly and welcoming - as a beginner and newcomer to the so called 'snobs sport' pretty much everyone I've come in contact with couldn't have been nicer.

However, at our local course Tilgate we had a tee time of 0640 booked so I went the previous evening to pick up trolley tokens and scorecards, turned up nice and early the following day and the Marshall was hideous! Almost refused to believe we had a tee time booked and were trying to sneak on the course, despite me having the email confirmation!

What snobby experiences have you had?

That doesn't seem 'snobby'! Just 'mis-trusting'!

Was that Tilgate Forest btw?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was told to tuck my shirt in In the bar at my own club whilst hosting 3 forumers. Apparently it was upsetting 2 committee members in the bar, the only other 2 people in the bar

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the sock debate at Ashridge always up there with the best of them. why would i wear shorts if im going to have to wear socks upto my knees! always amusing seeing people tee off in waterproof trousers in burning hot conditions lol

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was told to tuck my shirt in In the bar at my own club whilst hosting 3 forumers. Apparently it was upsetting 2 committee members in the bar, the only other 2 people in the bar

I don't blame them, you scruffy bugger;)

Its a golf club not a hippy commune!

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would write a letter of complaint to the club secretary. It's unlikely that your experience is unique with the marshal and he may put off many visitors to that club.If nothing else, it may save someone else from a similar encounter.

I received poor customer service from the pro when visiting a local, expensive course and emailed the club sec. Within 24 hours I received a very courteous reply along with an open dated invite for a round of golf plus coffee and sandwiches for 2 people.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I was a junior 4 of us went to a North of Scotland schools competition accompanied by one of our teachers. After our practice round we went into the lounge as they had provided a meal for everyone. There was a guy at the door checking team names off a list as we went in. We told him which team we were and he said to us "Just remember, you're not in Orkney now" I'm not sure what he was expecting us to do.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
HiD was Matron and had gone along to pick up a cheque from local golf club for monies raised by them for her unit and she wasn't allowed in the lounge as she was a woman !! She'd been invited by them !!
Cheque was handed over in another room out of sight.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Only place I have expirenced "snobby" behaviour was at Ashridge when i enquired about membership to the admin lady and there was this tiny old lady in the office who started grilling me and giving me this dirty look up and down. When I said I was military and my HC she informed me that I wouldn't be able to gain membership there !!

blackpuddinmonster

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I was a junior 4 of us went to a North of Scotland schools competition accompanied by one of our teachers. After our practice round we went into the lounge as they had provided a meal for everyone. There was a guy at the door checking team names off a list as we went in. We told him which team we were and he said to us "Just remember, you're not in Orkney now" I'am not sure what he was expecting us to do.

Mmm, i wonder....
images (10).jpg

Never did a beer have a better name..:eek:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing in a county event an elderly member came up to me in the clubhouse and pleasantly enquired about my golf tie as he thought he recognised it
On being told it was BIGGA [British Golf Greenkeepers Assoc] he sort of hurrumphed and walked away.

D

Deleted member 16999

HiD was Matron and had gone along to pick up a cheque from local golf club for monies raised by them for her unit and she wasn't allowed in the lounge as she was a woman !! She'd been invited by them !!
Cheque was handed over in another room out of sight.....

That is awful and sums up all that is wrong with some Clubs.

matchrat

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having to buy socks at the The Army because mine were the wrong colour. Pro apologised but said he would get it in the ear if he let me play. Playing a 4bbb match at Liphook midweek in the evening - let a 2 ball through. Another 2 ball appeared on previous green behind us while we were waiting for the fairway to clear. We tee off because no point in letting the next two ball through as there is no where for them to go yet. As we were walking down the fairway we hear a shout of fore - the two ball had teed of while still walking to our balls !!!!. Met them waiting on the next tee and off course asked what the hell they thought they were doing. They refused to apologies and just kept saying that Liphook was a two ball course and my friend (who is a member ) should check in his diary where it says two balls have priority. Never met a more entitled ass - didn't seem to understand what they had done wrong.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
During a heatwave (we do get them sometimes) I was pulled up for arriving, yes you heard, just arriving at the clubhouse while not wearing a jacket!!:eek:

On enquiring with the pro about wearing shorts in the heat I was told Knee length tailored shorts with knee length 'proper' socks.

I have never been back:angry:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure it counts as "snobbyness" but I tried to organise an away day for a society I play in. Was looking at booking 10 4 ball tee times plus coffe/bacon rolls on arrival and two course lunch afterwards. Would have been close to £2500 plus extra spend in the pro shop and on drinks so probably over £3000 by the time we'd finished. Was told by the club that they wouldn't accept the booking because 2 of our society weren't club members and didn't have official handicaps. Couldn't believe a club was willing to turn away that amount of business in difficult times.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was asked to tuck my football shirt in my tracksuit, but untuck my tracksuit from my socks.

I was just so confused, it put me right orrrrrffffff.