What's the most 'snobbyness' you've experienced at a club?

Loz1607

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was recently approached in the bar at my club by an elderly gent - who proceeded to point to me and repeatedy say 'Jacket'.

Not having a clue what he was referring to I a politely enquired what he meant, apparently jackets arent allowed in the bar. It was a windproof top. On checking the dress code, it states no rain wear in the bar, which this wasnt. I wasnt alone in this, he did exactly the same to another one of our group. When informed it was a jumper not a jacket, he returned to his perch in the corner to examine everyone else walking in.

If i was in breach of the clubhouse dress code I have no problem being told as it was something I was unaware of. This was more the manner in which he tried to tell me. A polite, 'i dont know if your aware that jackets arent allowed in the club house' would have been enough.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was told by a barman whilst in the spike bar that he would serve me in the other bar.

When I entered the there bar he said I wasn't allowed in without a jacket. I told him you asked me in. He said I will bring the drinks outside to where we were sitting. really odd chap. it was only us and him at the club. We were last off the course.

.............probably watching Emmerdale

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
.............probably watching Emmerdale

He wasn't watching Emmerdale with the amount of faffing he did over the sale of a bag or two of nuts. under no circumstances were they to be eaten out of a bag. he simply must put these in a bowl.

Thinking back he was actually some craic.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We need more naming and shaming. I would like to avoid all of these horrors as I play for fun, not to be belittled. I have been lucky as I have heard some horrors but never personally experienced any. The sock one always mystifies me. Who on earth thinks knee length socks and shorts look anything but ridiculous in this modern age?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Now, just for the record - my club is not snobby but does have the odd idiot who is.

I spoke to an old football mate who happened to be the current Captain and he said that he had said hi to one particular idiot who was reading the applicants details applying for membership that were, as always, posted on the notice board.

"we really do have too many working class people applying these days" he said. I asked my mate if his reply had been "but surely better them than the likes of you who has been bankrupt twice and cost these sort of people lots of money and, in some cases, their jobs" sadly he just didn't comment

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The only snobbiness I have experience was when I was in the process of joining my current club.

Funnily enough it wasn't at the club, it was on facebook. This guy is a friend of a friend and said he was planning to leave the club as too many "Chavs with tattoos" joining the club.

Unfortunately for him I do have tattoos and couldn't help but apologise (somewhat sarcastically) that he may have to encounter me at the club, but like to think my golf etiquette is very good and will try not to upset him!! :smirk:

I have never met this guy and think he has left the club, but it was his instant stereotyping that ground my gears.

Luckily in the 18 months I have been there I have experienced nothing but welcoming and friendly members.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never encountered any snobbery.

But then I'm not easily offended .
Same here. Played for over 40 years, at a lot of courses, and never had a problem. I do check club websites for dress codes etc, so as not to embarrass myself. If you play at a private golf club you abide by their rules.

I did see a forumer produce a Bentley stamped Pro V1, when he was playing with another forumer that only had a Skoda one. That was a bit snobby.:whistle:

D

Deleted member 17920

Have played plenty of courses in 20 years I haven't encountered much snobbyness at all,

Going back a long time I have had a pro watch us on the 1st tee to make sure we could play and my mate was told off at Holme Hall for having his shirt hanging out but he then corrected the member and told him it was actually his jumper and did he want him to tuck that in instead both were over 15 years ago.

I do however remember one committee member at Market Rasen telling me off once in a club competition for wearing black socks with shorts and not white sports socks, I was on the 3rd green and he came racing across from the 6th green to tell me, worst thing was he had his cap back to front and looked like a right tool.

Overall I think most clubs are really friendly these days and its only the very very very old guard that are an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
The problem here is people expect to take the same attitude from their local course and apply it somewhere else, with no problems. That to me is ignorant.

You wouldn't wear jeans and a polo shirt for dinner at The Ritz, so why would you go to some exclusive golf clubs and expect to wear shorts and play four balls, THEN get funny when someone takes offence?

Black socks with white golf shoes, eating peanuts out of the bag....were you dragged up :rofl:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The problem here is people expect to take the same attitude from their local course and apply it somewhere else, with no problems. That to me is ignorant.

You wouldn't wear jeans and a polo shirt for dinner at The Ritz, so why would you go to some exclusive golf clubs and expect to wear shorts and play four balls, THEN get funny when someone takes offence?

Black socks with white golf shoes, eating peanuts out of the bag....were you dragged up :rofl:

Maybe because there are some golf clubs/members that see themselves as exclusive but are in fact little more than a burger king when compared to your Ritz analogy

edit: but you're absolutely right about black socks with golf shoes <shudder smiley>

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Troon Darley a few years back when I had teed off just before 7am with the pro's permission even though normally people cannot start until 7.30am. Agreed I would settle up after the round. One of the greenkeepers warned me about the ultimate jobsworth secretary they had and sure enough, before I'd even got to the 18th green, he was yelling out of his window at me.

After taking five times as long to putt out as I should have, went over and he went off on one about teeing off before he's got there. Even giving him the pro's approval wasn't enough and he took my money and then told me I would be banned for a month from playing there.

Seeing as I was about to drive back down the M74 to England straight after, I gave him my mate's name and local club (even though he doesn't even play golf) and this tool sat there and made sure I saw him writing it down. It took me until Carlisle to stop laughing about it.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
but you're absolutely right about black socks with golf shoes <shudder smiley>

Only ever wear black socks as white ones would look pretty silly with my black golf shoes and black trousers.

But I did grow up in a council house so I'm guessing that explains a lot...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Only ever wear black socks as white ones would look pretty silly with my black golf shoes and black trousers.

But I did grow up in a council house so I'm guessing that explains a lot...

Pretty sure with trousers you can wear My Little Pony socks if you want

I think the earlier point related to socks with shorts :)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure with trousers you can wear My Little Pony socks if you want

I think the earlier point related to socks with shorts :)

Shorts should deffo be banned. Grown men in shorts who are not at their work on a football or rugby pitch or equivalent is just wrong. :)