What Does Your Course Do?

hackandburn

Hacker
Visit site
Played at my home club on Sunday and in view of the rubbish weather over recent weeks the greens and fairways were very good - the investment on drainage is really paying off so kudos to the Green Committee!

However, I'm always surprised by the tees. On 6 holes the tee markers were in front of the regular (slightly raised) tees on what was a piece of rough that looks like it had been fly-mo'd resulting in a pretty crappy tee off area that I found difficult to hit off and that had quickly turned into a quagmire.

Does your course do the same? Personally, I'd like to see some decent winter artificial tees. We have one on the par 3 11th that is built into the front of the medal tee and behind the daily tee so keeps a decent distance on the hole. It's a solid hitting surface (and you can get a tee in it if required) that I think is much preferable to playing off a piece of mud or dog eared range mat. I appreciate the artificial tees are expensive to install but I would guess in the longer term they make sense as they would reduce the maintenance requirements of the grass tees.

I think I'm in the minority at my club as most members seem to insist on grass tees so happy to accept it over winter but I'm interested to know what other clubs do - have you got decent (artifical or otherwise) winter tees, mats or do you keep on regular tees?

G

guest100718

Winter matt tees are ok until they freeze... We have no temp tees, the regular ones seem to hold up well.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have fixed mats for our winter tees but have gone to movable mats so we can spread the load then nowhere gets to bad.