Vote on allowing women to join

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Am hopefully it stays male only know the women members in my club are just a pain in my ass anytime I am out, slow play don't know seem to know any rules just look down on you cause they think they are the bees knees with all the latest gear on and in the bag and can't even hit the ball out of their road! Some times I Am dieing to hit one over their heads when the whole me up hole after hole. Don't want to know when asking nicley to pass them cause it ladys day when the reality Is they have the 1st tee for a coupe of hours

Only benefit they bring is to bandits using them for team events, would be happy to in crase my fees to keep them off my course.

Been on the sauce?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Am hopefully it stays male only know the women members in my club are just a pain in my ass anytime I am out, slow play don't know seem to know any rules just look down on you cause they think they are the bees knees with all the latest gear on and in the bag and can't even hit the ball out of their road! Some times I Am dieing to hit one over their heads when the whole me up hole after hole. Don't want to know when asking nicley to pass them cause it ladys day when the reality Is they have the 1st tee for a coupe of hours

Only benefit they bring is to bandits using them for team events, would be happy to in crase my fees to keep them off my course.
and this is after you have edited the post.:mad:

U.Shanker

Visit site

Classic dinosaur.
Our AGM tonight heard our President proudly give the club credit for encouraging our lady membership.
Fast forward an hour when a (male) member asked "If the Men's Captain is automatically a member of various committees why isn't the Ladies Captain?"
Cue "Hear, hear!"s and applause rom the members, especially the ladies present.
President looks bemused and replies, with the new Lady Captain sat at his table, "Well, it's all about horses for courses".
He was then bemused by the mass groan and gasps from the room.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Still waiting to hear why "helping out behind the scenes" is seen as being sexist.

Don't have to be an expert on assumptions you made when you post things about "don't the table decorations look nice dear " which clearly shows what you were assuming Homer was meaning

Apologies - been away golfing!

By simply stating it, Homer clearly, at least to me, implied a differentiation.

Perhaps 'is' should be replaced by 'appears' in my post.

This, or at least my interpretation of it (a struggle), is pretty much Neanderthal! Though the message that 'Ladies Day' does not extend all day, if that's the case, may need addressing - it's really just like Seniors Day(s) at most Clubs. In a truly 'equal' club it's debatable whether a Ladies Day (or times) should exist.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

sid.jpg

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
This, or at least my interpretation of it (a struggle), is pretty much Neanderthal! Though the message that 'Ladies Day' does not extend all day, if that's the case, may need addressing - it's really just like Seniors Day(s) at most Clubs. In a truly 'equal' club it's debatable whether a Ladies Day (or times) should exist.

Unfortunately the views expressed in post #34 are not isolated and there are many clubs where things are not equal, views like those expressed in that post would do nothing to make the ladies feel either welcome or comfortable on the course. We all express an interest in encouraging greater participation in our sport, for that reason I have no problem with ladies days/ block booking of the tee.

Golf is a social sport, we all enjoy playing with our friends and golfing pals, we see nothing wrong with that so why should the ladies be any different? I played at Seahouses GC last year and found it quite refreshing to see so many ladies out on the course. Golf club membership does not really reflect the make up of our society though sadly.

To return to the OP though, my personal view is that if a private members club wishes to be male only, or female only, then that is their choice to make.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

:rofl: Unbelievable.....

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks for your input, Peter Dawson!

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If Muirfield were removed from the open rota, I seriously doubt whether the membership would give a crap.

Err I beg to differ... whilst their pride wont let them openly admit it perhaps, the club (and this probably goes for all clubs who dont follow suit) will be significantly affected financially and should the beloved members wish to retain their standards of Malt behind the bar and plush Chestfields in the locker rooms, it will have to come at their own expense as interest and respect plummets worldwide. Golf Club exile is not a nice place to be...:(

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My last club was male only- only because no female wanted to join. :(

So now in my new club it's great to see ladies again, can't wait to play around with them:smirk:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for your input, Peter Dawson!

Where do you stand on Female only Golf Clubs FD?

There are apparently more of them than Male only ones! And, I believe, many of them in Scotland - including 2 that play at St Andrews. Potential to 'merge' with the 2 other Male only ones there? Not sure that would be popular with any of the clubs, but entirely up to the members of each/all imo.

I believe Dawson would welcome an R&A Club decision to allow Lades to become members. He's been pretty good at putting the case, that the Law specifically allows it for exactly the reasons he states - that it's a Member's Club, therefore up to the members to decide who can become a member -, but agrees that for R&A Limited it creates a difficult perception.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where do you stand on Female only Golf Clubs FD?

There are apparently more of them than Male only ones! And, I believe, many of them in Scotland - including 2 that play at St Andrews. Potential to 'merge' with the 2 other Male only ones there?

I believe Dawson would welcome an R&A Club decision to allow Lades to become members. He's been pretty good at putting the case, that the Law specifically allows it for exactly the reasons he states - that it's a Member's Club, therefore up to the members to decide who can become a member -, but agrees that for R&A Limited it creates a difficult perception.

Trying to restrain myself, TBH, foxy! :D

In general I'm against single sex clubs but I think context is everything and they fall into three broad categories accordingly

1. Obviously beneficial and sensible to be single sex
2. Ludicrous, discriminatory and counter productive in the modern world
3. The grey area in between

Really don't want to discuss male-only vs female-only clubs here (again) as most are not equivalent in anything other than the most superficial of ways but the subtle distinctions seem beyond the comprehension of too many posters......

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Trying to restrain myself, TBH, foxy! :D

In general I'm against single sex clubs but I think context is everything and they fall into three broad categories accordingly

1. Obviously beneficial and sensible to be single sex
2. Ludicrous, discriminatory and counter productive in the modern world
3. The grey area in between

Really don't want to discuss male-only vs female-only clubs here (again) as most are not equivalent in anything other than the most superficial of ways but the subtle distinctions seem beyond the comprehension of too many posters......

Excellently put there ;)

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Err I beg to differ... whilst their pride wont let them openly admit it perhaps, the club (and this probably goes for all clubs who dont follow suit) will be significantly affected financially and should the beloved members wish to retain their standards of Malt behind the bar and plush Chestfields in the locker rooms, it will have to come at their own expense as interest and respect plummets worldwide. Golf Club exile is not a nice place to be...:(

Then we will have to agree to disagree

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Then we will have to agree to disagree

I have to agree with you Stevie, i imagine the Muirfield members would be glad to see tha back of the open, prob costs them money and won't be able to play their own course for a number of weeks at the hight of the season.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies - been away golfing!

By simply stating it, Homer clearly, at least to me, implied a differentiation.

Perhaps 'is' should be replaced by 'appears' in my post.

This is a major problem when the equal rights debate rears its head .===== The gym where I go decided to have a ladies only morning which is fine but when I asked when the Mens only morning was they said it was not nessesary .====== I do belive in equal rights but it must be equal and not loaded one side or the other. ========The ladies at my club are great and most I have spoken to don't really want change just for changes sake, but there is always one or two who do. The law is on their side or is it what is the legal position to all male / Female clubs ?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a major problem when the equal rights debate rears its head .===== The gym where I go decided to have a ladies only morning which is fine but when I asked when the Mens only morning was they said it was not nessesary .====== I do belive in equal rights but it must be equal and not loaded one side or the other. ========The ladies at my club are great and most I have spoken to don't really want change just for changes sake, but there is always one or two who do. The law is on their side or is it what is the legal position to all male / Female clubs ?

So why do you feel men specific mornings are necessary?