Vote on allowing women to join

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Just stumbled across this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/26748032

For those that cant click on the link:

"The Royal and Ancient is urging its 2,500 golf members to vote in favour of abolishing its men-only policy, the BBC has learned.

The St Andrews-based institution, which was formed more than two centuries ago, has only ever allowed men to join.

The R&A is due to vote on proposals to change that rule in September.

In advance of that meeting, it has written to its members urging them to support a change in policy which would allow women members.

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond boycotted last year's Open at all-male club Muirfield.

Open venues Royal St George's and Troon also bar women members.

However, in 2012 the Augusta National Club, which hosts the Masters in the United States every year, allowed women to join for the first time in its 80-year history.

In July 2013, R&A chief executive Peter Dawson said the issue of men-only policies at golf clubs was becoming "increasingly difficult".
"

I wonder if the womens only golf club next door will start allowing men......

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be no harm, i know one of the best things about our club is the women members ..

They (most) genuinely bring a smile and warmth to the place that (most) the men cant or dont

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be no harm, i know one of the best things about our club is the women members ..

They (most) genuinely bring a smile and warmth to the place that (most) the men cant or dont

Totally agree, the lady members at our place are always friendly and chatty and are better observers of on course etiquette than a lot of the men.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But the r and a is not a golf club. This has nothing to do with golf clubs, as far as I can tell, and it won't effect single sex clubs one iota.

D

Deleted member 1418

But the r and a is not a golf club. This has nothing to do with golf clubs, as far as I can tell, and it won't effect single sex clubs one iota.

Yes, that's how I see it.

On 'single sex' clubs I personally cannot understand all the fuss. If ladies or men want 'Ladies' or 'Men' only clubs then let them. If you don't like that then you obviously don't join or play at that club / course. It's the same with 'Private Members Only' (male and female) clubs - if that's what people want let them get on with it - plenty of other places happy to provide what people are after.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Said it before and I'll say it again but it's all about perception. And this kind of news can only be good for the perception of the game, so lets' hope it's more than a token gesture and the men only policy is abolished.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews holding the vote not the R&A!

Is correct! :clap: And I for one will be glad to see it and good for them in leading the way! The other Muirfields ect will be put under more pressure to get with the times and stop sending out the wrong message to the world. I personally hope they are forced to do it or they loose their Open Venues status in the future. Plenty of other great clubs in the UK that should be looked at anyway.... I would have a small wager they would change in heart beat if that was the case! ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can only be a step forward, providing the members take heed and vote the right way. I agree with the comments about the lady members being a benefit to a club. Ours do an awful lot behind the scenes at social events, captains day, opens etc

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is correct! :clap: And I for one will be glad to see it and good for them in leading the way! The other Muirfields ect will be put under more pressure to get with the times and stop sending out the wrong message to the world. I personally hope they are forced to do it or they loose their Open Venues status in the future. Plenty of other great clubs in the UK that should be looked at anyway.... I would have a small wager they would change in heart beat if that was the case! ;)

If Muirfield were removed from the open rota, I seriously doubt whether the membership would give a crap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can only be a step forward, providing the members take heed and vote the right way. I agree with the comments about the lady members being a benefit to a club. Ours do an awful lot behind the scenes at social events, captains day, opens etc

I trust you realise how sexist that post is!

D

Deleted member 15344

No clubs membership should be "forced into anything"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I trust you realise how sexist that post is!

The bottom line is without our women members working so hard a lot of the events we hold wouldn't be the success they are. I don't see anything wrong with that. You can add in the fact that 99% are a joy on the course, great to play with and the only section of the club that would regularly stand aside and let quicker matches through.