Virtuocity - stack and tilt swing.................

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've been working hard on the 'flying wedge' stuff with very good results. Although, I noticed I was thinning my wedges causing them to go very long, 10 inches above ground level over the other side of the green.

I then realised (on hole 6 of 9 today) that I wasn't doing 'the flying wedge' with these and now my short game has improved ten-fold. Hitting the range tomorrow to really work on this as it's really killing my scores.

Looking at my stats, I worked out that if I could hit the green every time from a range of 50-100 yards then I would cut 6 or 7 shots off my 9 hole round (potentially 12 shots off of an 18 hole round), which would see me meet my 2013 target of 18 handicap.

Once you get down to 18 you can then change to a conventional swing and REALLY get good at this game ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks Gareth. Nice shooting over 2.5 years mate.

Out of interest- what part of your game would get you to a handicap of, say, 10?

Driving. Pure and simple.

I can hit my fairway woods well enough but very hit and miss with the driver.

If I can get this something like consistant, then I think that'll help no end.

Like I said in my last post, I'm in no rush. I'm in this game for the long haul

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driving. Pure and simple.

I can hit my fairway woods well enough but very hit and miss with the driver.

If I can get this something like consistant, then I think that'll help no end.

Like I said in my last post, I'm in no rush. I'm in this game for the long haul

Would be very interested in seeing a video of your swing, G.

You too JO.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you considered running shots in from close range?

A guy I play with takes his 8 iron for anything inside about 80yds, and pitches it 10-20yds short and lets it run on. He's very good at it and plays off 12 and he only hits his driver 220 tops.

The main advantage is that thin shots will still end up roundabout the same distance.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
from nearly 2yrs back..... (9-iron draw)

[video=youtube;kvwpkXNOJ48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvwpkXNOJ48[/video]

carrying the bunker.... (driver fade)

[video=youtube;km_oqywyqi8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_oqywyqi8[/video]

Couple of slow mo swings in my profile.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you considered running shots in from close range?

Tried it a week ago when it was quiet on the course (hit 3 balls from short range). Obviously inconsistent results, particularly 'cos the ground was sodden. I think it's something to work on at the range over the winter and utilise it as the course dries out.

I used a 7 iron.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
(enter JO to tell me all of the above is rubbish hahahah)

Nope, sounds like you have a plan. Getting to 18 is a good goal... although as you said 18 will never be enough if you get there. Interesting to see you're already working on course management decisions.

Being enthusiastic to work on your game during the Winter is a big plus. Standing over a ball and thinking "I don't care how far this goes I'm just not going to duff it" is a good swing thought... then just hit it with a decent swing that leaves your feet IN your shoes.

T

thecraw

Awful banter!

JO- add this to "The Official Stack and Tilt Joke Book". Out Xmas 2013.

Might as well add Bob Torrance's one as well.

"son keep that up and the only stacking you'll be doing is the shelves in Tesco!"

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Might as well add Bob Torrance's one as well.

"son keep that up and the only stacking you'll be doing is the shelves in Tesco!"

I doubt he said that seeing as he can hardly speak a word......

it was probably "son key ta p nd t oony stack yoobedoo is t shefs in teskos".

Anyway... how's your h/cap doing Craw? Turned pro with the swing you're using.... or still working for a living? I thought you were about to quit the game last month???????

Last edited:

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I doubt he said that seeing as he can hardly speak a word......

it was probably "son key ta p nd t oony stack yoobedoo is t shefs in teskos".

Anyway... how's your h/cap doing Craw? Turned pro with the swing you're using.... or still working for a living? I thought you were about to quit the game last month???????

Can I ask what your handicap is, I take it you must be of at least scratch if you give out the sort of advice you do.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My lowest was 1 h/cap, best round 4 under par was only 2yrs ago so I've not forgotten everything just yet. Current h/cap is 6.4 which I'm happy with seeing as I can hardly walk some days. Is h/cap important for KNOWING or PLAYING?

So I'll ask you a question; I see you are 5/hcap, is that your lowest or have you played better? and off 5 h/cap are YOU able to judge what is a good swing? You seem to slag off S&T a fair bit so clearly you think your opinion is better than some ofther more qualified instructors than yourself.. or am I mistaken?

Our very own Sam Quirke is a qualified pro and he doesn't slag off S&T

Last edited:

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My lowest was 1 h/cap, best round 4 under par was only 2yrs ago so I've not forgotten everything just yet. Current h/cap is 6.4 which I'm happy with seeing as I can hardly walk some days. Is h/cap important for KNOWING or PLAYING?

Just interested as to what you played off I mean I would always take advice from a Pro or even someone who is better than me but would question advice given from someone who had a higher handicap, no offence intended.

Just seen your edited post, lowest was 4 and still work in progress.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just interested as to what you played off I mean I would always take advice from a Pro or even someone who is better than me but would question advice given from someone who had a higher handicap, no offence intended.

I've had this discussion many times... we have a pro called Bob on the forum, very much liked and very much listened to... if he had an accident and could no longer walk or shoot under 90 would you not listen to his advice?

If (for example) you found out he hadn't gone round in less than 80 for the past 25yrs would it matter as his h/cap is technically scratch seeing as he's a pro.

Personally I would have a lesson from a guy in a wheelchair without giving it a second thought so their ability to actually get the ball around the course doesn't matter... or does it? I would rather they were able to see what needed work in MY swing and I couldn't give a stuff about theirs.

Butch Harmon now plays off about 13 h/cap and I'd defo get a lesson from him... well I would if he taught a decent swing ;)

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've had this discussion many times... we have a pro called Bob on the forum, very much liked and very much listened to... if he had an accident and could no longer walk or shoot under 90 would you not listen to his advice?

If (for example) you found out he hadn't gone round in less than 80 for the past 25yrs would it matter as his h/cap is technically scratch seeing as he's a pro.

Personally I would have a lesson from a guy in a wheelchair without giving it a second thought so their ability to actually get the ball around the course doesn't matter... or does it? I would rather they were able to see what needed work in MY swing and I couldn't give a stuff about theirs.

Butch Harmon now plays off about 13 h/cap and I'd defo get a lesson from him... well I would if he taught a decent swing ;)

Each to their own but I will never be convinced by S&T but notice there are a few guys on here who say they use it, can they really be sure they are using it?

Anyway I will keep an eye on their handicaps and see if they improve, if someone is using it and let's say they currently play off 16 then what time scale would you expect them to get down to say 8 ot 9.