Virtuocity - stack and tilt swing.................

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
draws.jpg

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Today I both annoyed myself and enlightened myself as to where my inconsistencies lie.

[video=youtube_share;S2LMgZuwwZs]http://youtu.be/S2LMgZuwwZs?t=13s[/video]

My 'practice' backswing seems OK. I like that my head is perfectly still.

Then I take my proper swing and OUCHY. Overswing, head all over the place. No wonder things get inconsistent, particularly with the long clubs.

I also notice that I'm not extending my left leg very well. A big part of S&T is extending the left leg and tucking the hips/butt. I haven't worked on this over a significant period of time yet, so I'm not too bothered. I'll concentrate on this once I stop overswinging.

Lastly, my right arm looks quite weird through impact. Can anyone explain?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

You are not straightening it.... I have the same issue (due to a bad shoulder) You are letting the weight of the club coming round collapse your wrists. In essence you should practice more short swings where your left arm remains bolt straight and you allow yourself to hit the ball with your left shoulder and chest as they rotate. Hips turn, shoulders follow closely behind whilst a straight left arm is punched into the ball.

When viewed from above your club should feel like it travels like this.... the grip moves back away from the target line as you rotate (the blue arrow) then your right arm should straighten in the direction of the red arrow. It won't straighten 'down the target line' because you are rotating.

piv.gif

I would consider shortening your arm swing just a bit.. make the same backswing turn with your shoulders but allow your hands to stay just a little more away from you....as if you make a 90 degree turn with your shoulders but only a 75 degree turn with your arms.

....and in that other vid where you hit your driver you need a little tilt away from the ball with your upper body... you can either literally tilt your upper body away everso slightly OR bump your left hip targetwards - only with the driver mind! You need some tilt away from the ball into impact else you'll be coming down a tad too steep for a club that has very little loft.

Lovin' the Charley Hoffman look! ....Timotei or L'Oréal? :p

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks James! Appreciate the feedback.

I would consider shortening your arm swing just a bit.. make the same backswing turn with your shoulders but allow your hands to stay just a little more away from you....as if you make a 90 degree turn with your shoulders but only a 75 degree turn with your arms.

Remember how rubbish I am when it comes to written instruction? Not understanding this at all. Could you possibly translate as if you were talking to a 4 year old?

Lovin' the Charley Hoffman look! ....Timotei or L'Oréal? :p

Dunno actually. Don't most guys just use what their wives buy?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
my partner in the mixed comps uses Stack and tilt, he plays pretty well, but he often does drills before taking his shots, that is annoying.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ok... two swings here viewed from above... with 90 degree shoulder rotation (red line)

In the top swing the left arm (blue line) is overly connected to the chest, this makes the hands DEEP behind the shoulder when viewed down the line. When this happens the hands come down to the ball very much from the inside (flat)

In the bottom swing the shoulders have turned the same amount but the arms don't go so deep. When this happens the hands come down to the ball a lot more on plane (not flat)

image.gif

(the green line is your right arm/elbow)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You still need to keep that connection feeling in the left armpit (upper left arm feels pressure against left pectorial) but ideally your left arm won't be glued across your chest so therefore you will have a little width at the top and the hands won't be quite so deep... this means that you can get the body and hands to swing down a little more 'together' rather than leaving the arms trailing. There's no worse feeling than the body starting to turn whilst your hands are still in your back trouser pocket and having to come from behind you before they can even get to the ball!!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am no hater mate, I even used Stack and Tilt for about a year, but gave up as I could never hit my driver using it and it was so hard to find a local pro that actually teaches it! Just a bit of banter chief! :D

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am no hater mate, I even used Stack and Tilt for about a year, but gave up as I could never hit my driver using it and it was so hard to find a local pro that actually teaches it! Just a bit of banter chief! :D

No drama- was just an excuse to post a Haters Gonna Hate gif.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
By the way Deke- my S&T coach is closer to you than he is to me!!!

Also- looked up your course. Looks nice and membership prices are very sensible. Was there a joining fee on top?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope! Pretty good value if you ask me, Alyth is a really nice track. I am using The Rotary Swing system as taught by Chuck Quinton with great success, so little chance of going back to S&T, but thanks for the info! :thup:

P.S. If you ever fancy a game give me a PM

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Today I both annoyed myself and enlightened myself as to where my inconsistencies lie.

My 'practice' backswing seems OK. I like that my head is perfectly still.

Then I take my proper swing and OUCHY. Overswing, head all over the place. No wonder things get inconsistent, particularly with the long clubs.

I also notice that I'm not extending my left leg very well. A big part of S&T is extending the left leg and tucking the hips/butt. I haven't worked on this over a significant period of time yet, so I'm not too bothered. I'll concentrate on this once I stop overswinging.

I wouldn't worry too much about head movement. its impossible to fully turn without your head moving a little. check out little lexi Thompson. she throws her head and everything into it. smokes it !!

[video=youtube;ANbfUReXxdg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbfUReXxdg[/video]