Vaccines use of part information

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watching a programme on the box today I do despair. The discussion was on whether or not we should relax the current lockdown rules more quickly. Several commentators were using the vaccination roll out as the reason for speeding things up.
It was very obvious that most had either not read or were deliberately ignoring how the vaccination works.
If somebody got their first vaccination on 1st January this year they will not reach full level of the immunity from that jab for 4 weeks and will not get the second until round about 1st March add on another four weeks and that means they have not reached full available immunity until nearly the end of March.
So the dates go on for each group.

In my own case I will not reach full immunity level until June

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching a programme on the box today I do despair. The discussion was on whether or not we should relax the current lockdown rules more quickly. Several commentators were using the vaccination roll out as the reason for speeding things up.
It was very obvious that most had either not read or were deliberately ignoring how the vaccination works.
If somebody got their first vaccination on 1st January this year they will not reach full level of the immunity from that jab for 4 weeks and will not get the second until round about 1st March add on another four weeks and that means they have not reached full available immunity until nearly the end of March.
So the dates go on for each group.

In my own case I will not reach full immunity level until June

Not sure you have got it right.

No vaccine offers full immunity, but Covid vaccines offer pretty high levels of immunity, meaning a very high probability that you won't get symptomatic Covid, or if you do, it will be relatively mild. The effect kicks in around 2-3 weeks after vaccination. One dose confers very good immunity, and it is generally thought that the second provides longer lasting immunity, but there is one vaccine due to be approved soon which is a one shot only (The Janssen one). Natural Covid infection is also a one-shot deal, and that confers immunity, although more variable in quality depending on, amongst other things, viral load.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure you have got it right.

No vaccine offers full immunity, but Covid vaccines offer pretty high levels of immunity, meaning a very high probability that you won't get symptomatic Covid, or if you do, it will be relatively mild. The effect kicks in around 2-3 weeks after vaccination. One dose confers very good immunity, and it is generally thought that the second provides longer lasting immunity, but there is one vaccine due to be approved soon which is a one shot only (The Janssen one). Natural Covid infection is also a one-shot deal, and that confers immunity, although more variable in quality depending on, amongst other things, viral load.

I am aware that no vaccine offers full immunity. My poor wording!! I was meaning the full level of immunity that the vaccine offers e.g. around 90%
The quote of 4 weeks was from the latest reports being given out on the effectiveness of the vaccine yesterday as reported on the TV. I know that previously they were saying 3 weeks.

The point of my post however was that some people in the discussion were making it sound as if anybody who has had the first injection now has immunity and was using that as an argument to speed up the lifting of the restrictions.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My concern with the predicted dates for when all adults will be vaccinated is that in a couple of weeks we will need to start giving the 15 million who have had jab 1 their 2nd jab. Is there the infrastructure to do those 15 million and the next 20-25 million by the end of Apr? At the rate we are currently going it will take 3 months just to do the original 15 million. Also, as people need the same jab for both then this will make giving the 2nd jab more complicated so may slow down the process more

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am aware that no vaccine offers full immunity. My poor wording!! I was meaning the full level of immunity that the vaccine offers e.g. around 90%
The quote of 4 weeks was from the latest reports being given out on the effectiveness of the vaccine yesterday as reported on the TV. I know that previously they were saying 3 weeks.

The point of my post however was that some people in the discussion were making it sound as if anybody who has had the first injection now has immunity and was using that as an argument to speed up the lifting of the restrictions.

The quoted data for Pfizer is that just before the second vacc, there is an approx 90% effect, and a couple of weeks after the second, 95%. We don't know if that 95% would have been reached without the second, but even so, the 90% effect (plus a reduction in severity for the other 10%) is pretty good. I would say that you could regard yourself as functionally immune at that stage.

The AZ is not quite as fast off the mark, but still offers pretty good one shot effect offering prevention or reduction in severity for the vast majority.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was going to post in the random irritations thread, the people on the radio this morning moaning about the lockdown relaxation not being fast enough.
Beggars belief ?
Their view being informed, supported and strengthened by a number of newspapers and Westminster individuals of a certain leaning.

D

Deleted member 16999

My concern with the predicted dates for when all adults will be vaccinated is that in a couple of weeks we will need to start giving the 15 million who have had jab 1 their 2nd jab. Is there the infrastructure to do those 15 million and the next 20-25 million by the end of Apr? At the rate we are currently going it will take 3 months just to do the original 15 million. Also, as people need the same jab for both then this will make giving the 2nd jab more complicated so may slow down the process more
If the supplies are there for both 1st and 2nd Jab it maybe possible for some areas.

My nearest vaccination place is thankfully co-located with my GP’s Surgery and currently is only doing vaccinations 3 days a week.

I posted in the other thread they are now calling forward the 60-64yr Olds, so if the supply to carry out 1st and 2nd Jabs is available, maybe places like my one will increase the days they vaccinate to meet demand and continue to plough through?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the supplies are there for both 1st and 2nd Jab it maybe possible for some areas.

My nearest vaccination place is thankfully co-located with my GP’s Surgery and currently is only doing vaccinations 3 days a week.

I posted in the other thread they are now calling forward the 60-64yr Olds, so if the supply to carry out 1st and 2nd Jabs is available, maybe places like my one will increase the days they vaccinate to meet demand and continue to plough through?
But to increase vaccination days they need more vaccines and is there more in the system? Also, if GPS spend more days jabbing, what about other GP services do they not do?

D

Deleted member 16999

But to increase vaccination days they need more vaccines and is there more in the system? Also, if GPS spend more days jabbing, what about other GP services do they not do?
I did say depending on supplies, that centre is using the pfizer jab and this month they intend to increase supply, out of 8 people administering the jab, only 1 is a GP.

So if them issues can be resolved then maybe so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When you book a date for the first jab you also book a date for the second. I and no problem getting a date for either and there were no queues outside of the centre when I had my first.

From within my own family there are locations that are well ahead of the game my SIL, who is the same age as me, had hers 4 weeks before me. Her daughter already has her appointment and she is around 50.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had my jab at our local health centre. It was very well organised with a large flow of people passing through. It looked like most of the people giving jabs were nurses, I didn't notice any of our GPs there, I don't think it needs a GP to carry out what appears to be such a simple procedure.

There is a new large vaccination facility being opened shortly near us so as long as the vaccines are available there shouldn't be much of an issue.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It looked like most of the people giving jabs were nurses, I didn't notice any of our GPs there
Yep, the nurses are doing the work, and they are doing a wonderful job. My GP practice seems to be utterly devoid of actual doctors doing anything. It's impossible to get an appointment to see one. If you're very lucky you might manage to get a phone "consultation". Can't see how a doctor expects to diagnose anything accurately like that. What are GPs doing with their time? (Maybe they're all seconded to help in hospitals?)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, the nurses are doing the work, and they are doing a wonderful job. My GP practice seems to be utterly devoid of actual doctors doing anything. It's impossible to get an appointment to see one. If you're very lucky you might manage to get a phone "consultation". Can't see how a doctor expects to diagnose anything accurately like that. What are GPs doing with their time? (Maybe they're all seconded to help in hospitals?)

Not just nurses etc there was all those who volunteered like retired drs , dentists , even a few celebs went on courses to learn how to give the jab

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I watched Bojos talk the other day and then the professors who showed there graphs. I sat with my head in my hands. 548 deaths yesterday. My best mans dad was one of them. Yet we are talking about coming out of lockdown. and some want it quicker.
What am I missing.
lord how I want a political rant about the handling of this pandemic. Am not not am a good boy. ??????????

I feel the lockdown is a gamble on the success of the roll out of this vaccine.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched Bojos talk the other day and then the professors who showed there graphs. I sat with my head in my hands. 548 deaths yesterday. My best mans dad was one of them. Yet we are talking about coming out of lockdown. and some want it quicker.
What am I missing.
lord how I want a political rant about the handling of this pandemic. Am not not am a good boy. ??????????

I feel the lockdown is a gamble on the success of the roll out of this vaccine.
The Lockdown is a success in it's own right, it's people's actions that have created most of these deaths, just take a look at how the infection rates have tumbled over the last month. The vaccines are another influence to get us out of this mess.

Why do you keep blaming politicians for everything.