US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not at all I'm wondering why there not using the wind, if its dry why are they not laying up more than going for the pin, things like that, of course its easy to criticise sitting here watching its also easy for me to see that all these players are stuggleing in high winds, as for the rough the rough at the masters was thicker and more dence that this course but some hit 7.8.9 under
Have you been drinking?? The masters is pitch & putt compared to this. The only defence Augusta has is the greens. The best players in the world are struggling because any margin for error has been removed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not at all I'm wondering why there not using the wind, if its dry why are they not laying up more than going for the pin, things like that, of course its easy to criticise sitting here watching its also easy for me to see that all these players are stuggleing in high winds, as for the rough the rough at the masters was thicker and more dence that this course but some hit 7.8.9 under

Sorry but the rough at the Masters isn’t anywhere near the level at the US Open it never is , only the USGA go this mad

D

Deleted member 1418

Shorter aye but thicker and more dence I'll take all comments on board and in future I'll try not to criticise

For years and years Augusta was renowned for being a course with very little or no rough whatsoever - if a fairway was missed and a ball ended up in trees there was pine straw. It's main defence were the green complexes.

They introduced a cut of rough and lengthened the course when everyone was 'Tiger proofing'. But even now it's not dense - no-one has to hack out like they have to do at a US Open.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There was no point calm yourself down dear

It’s quite clear when looking beyond just the featured group that many people have struggled today with the course , average score today after the storms they had is about 5 over , the wind is getting up and the course is drying out , the weather forecast is for sun and wind , only going to make it harder over the coming days.

When you watch Marshall’s struggle to walk through the second cut because it’s that tall and thick and you see some of the strongest players struggle to get it out of first cut more than 10 yards then something doesn’t seem right

If you enjoy it then crack on -I would just like to see it a touch more fairer especially the rough, but I just gave an opinion that was also shared by others - no one said we were right it was just an opinion

And the USGA have a history of wanting high scores but getting it wrong and going too penal

Sorry Phillip ,you are correct on every point you so carefully made,
I am also sorry I came over as excited to you ,I never hoped to arouse a " penguin ",_

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Augusta is a tight course with loads of hazards mistakes there really cost, that looks open with wide fairways and run offs into non dangers for me, as I said I'm not as knowledgeable on golf or courses as most on the site, and I'm just giving my personally option on what I see and have saw since I got into the game

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Augusta is a tight course with loads of hazards mistakes there really cost, that looks open with wide fairways and run offs into non dangers for me, as I said I'm not as knowledgeable on golf or courses as most on the site, and I'm just giving my personally option on what I see and have saw since I got into the game

'Mistakes there really cost...'

Are you watching a different broadcast to everyone else? You can barely get the ball out of the rough. Tiger hit the green on hole 2 from 250 yards, but flew it a few yards too far so rolled about 20 yards off the elevated green and barely had a chance of getting up and down etc. The run offs are most certainly not 'non-dangers', you end up miles away from the hole with impossible pitch shots. There's no room for error anywhere at this course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Did you look at the video Poulter posted ?

McIlroy is one of the strongest on tour and even he only just managed to hit it ten yards sideways from the thick rough and then only 10 yards forward from the 1st cut

The course is set up so that if the players runs off the fairway just slightly they are struggling. Just watch how hard the players are finding it getting out and how thick does the rough need to be when you have ten people looking for one ball ten yards from the fairway - yep you are new you say but you will never see a course like this when playing even the R&A don’t set up the Open this penal

Fish

Banned
Visit site

It’s a forum and all about differing opinions, you go for it, I’ve got yer back ..... 😜

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
This isn't The Open though, this is the US Open on a classic US Open course, it's meant to be like this. This is so much better to watch than last year at Erin Hills.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Players at -2 and a lot seem to be making birdies. It's playable but you have to put it in the right place. That's what the US Open is usually about and it rewards accuracy, patience and good decision making. It's fantastic viewing and I'm loving it

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm trying to watch but I keep getting distracted with this thread, I don't think the rough looks that hard to hit out of phil made it out with no issues so did rory and spieth, on sticking to my original theory that they are not adapting to the wind and we will see the diffrwce in scores when/or if it dies down

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What Tiger is doing here is a prime example of why closely mown areas beneath the run-offs of greens are so much better from a course design perspective than thick rough. Tiger missed in the wrong spot and was rightly punished.

That is a really interesting point. Why do you think this does not happen more often? Is it more time for the greenkeepers, potentially killing or scorching the grass?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm trying to watch but I keep getting distracted with this thread, I don't think the rough looks that hard to hit out of phil made it out with no issues so did rory and spieth, on sticking to my original theory that they are not adapting to the wind and we will see the diffrwce in scores when/or if it dies down

It's not as simple as that. It's not just the wind, the gusting wind makes it more difficult no doubt, but what's making it more difficult than that is the somewhat ridiculous pin positions and then the drop-off areas. A slight mis-club, a slight flyer out of the first cut or a bad swing and you can end up in a position just off the green where the chances of getting up and down are so small. In previous US Opens the USGA have had rough off the back of the greens, but this year they've opted to go for the closely-mown run-off areas which when they're hard like they are here (not soft like at Erin Hills) it makes it incredibly difficult as the smallest mis-strike of a chip can result in the ball shooting off the other side or coming back to your feet. Add those course design features to the gusting wind and the deep-rough either side of the fairway and you've got an incredibly difficult prospect. I like it though, it's good to see these guys struggle, just not every week.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not as simple as that. It's not just the wind, the gusting wind makes it more difficult no doubt, but what's making it more difficult than that is the somewhat ridiculous pin positions and then the drop-off areas. A slight mis-club, a slight flyer out of the first cut or a bad swing and you can end up in a position just off the green where the chances of getting up and down are so small. In previous US Opens the USGA have had rough off the back of the greens, but this year they've opted to go for the closely-mown run-off areas which when they're hard like they are here (not soft like at Erin Hills) it makes it incredibly difficult as the smallest mis-strike of a chip can result in the ball shooting off the other side or coming back to your feet. Add those course design features to the gusting wind and the deep-rough either side of the fairway and you've got an incredibly difficult prospect. I like it though, it's good to see these guys struggle.

Your no doubt correct I can only go on my limited experience and what I'm seeing on screen maybe in a few years a might learn more about course design