Beginner wedges...fitting?

RangeMonkey

Visit site
So, whilst I’m laid up with a broken rib, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about how the last few months have gone, and what I’d like to focus on in the new year.

One of the areas I’m keen to put effort into is my short game. At present I have just a pitching and sand wedge (46 & 54 degrees). I’m thinking I might want to add a gap and lob wedge.

The couple of books I’ve been using for short game exercises - and several websites and YouTube videos - say “everyone” would benefit from being fitted for wedges. But, really everyone? Even someone who has only been playing about 6 months, and doesn’t even yet have a handicap?

I have no idea how to give an idea of my skill level at present, but even though I’ve only been playing 6 months or so, I‘ve spent at least 3-4 hours a week practicing my short game, so I can hit more or less straight with more than 90% of shots, and to what I think are fair distances... ~100 yards PW and ~75 SW. Now I want to start adding some variety, and have a few more options for distances.

Cost isn’t an issue per se, but I don’t want to waste a fitters time (and whilst cost isn’t a real issue, neither do I want to waste money!)

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Why not would be my question back to you, what have you got to lose.

Good question... I guess what I have to lose is money and face! Money if it’s just not worth getting fitted at this stage, face if the fitter asks me my handicap, and I have to say I don’t have one!

The second is really just ego, and I can get over that! The first is either real or not, and you seem to be implying - not :)

User20204

Visit site
You're under no obligation to buy at a fitting.
The fitter will/should ask you your handicap, but that shouldn't effect anything about the fitting.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wouldn't bother myself.

The benefits of fitting for any club are questionable when you're starting out and I'd say that wedges have the least potential gain of all the clubs.

But then my short game is diabolical so what do I know?

User20204

Visit site
I wouldn't bother myself.

The benefits of fitting for any club are questionable when you're starting out and I'd say that wedges have the least potential gain of all the clubs.

This is also a fair assessment but again I say, what is there to lose.

I was fitted for new wedges about 6-8 weeks ago and have really struggled with them since I got them but it's in my head more than anything.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
some parts of the fitting (grind etc) may be less important if you stick to standard early doors but other more basic parts of a fitting to me are important, I’m 6.3 so standard length and grip size etc just doesn’t feel as good as a fitted clubs. Is it essential - no but I felt more confident with Clubs that I knew were made for me - especially in the v inconsistent early days

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are lots of ways to vary the distance your wedges go.
Have you thought about a wedge/pitching lesson?

You might also want to vary the length of your swing to control your distances.

As for ''everyone should get a wedge fitting''..........rubbish.
I'd learn to hit the wedges you've got and then practice. You might find 2 wedges are enough.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
There are lots of ways to vary the distance your wedges go.
Have you thought about a wedge/pitching lesson?

You might also want to vary the length of your swing to control your distances.

As for ''everyone should get a wedge fitting''..........rubbish.
I'd learn to hit the wedges you've got and then practice. You might find 2 wedges are enough.

I’ve had a few lessons, and I practice at least 3-4 hours a week with my wedges.

Controlling distance at finesse range isn’t the issue, it’s the gap between the two wedges at full swing distance. I struggle to reliably hit around 90 yards with the pitching wedge, and also in the 60-70 yard range, which requires my to back-off a full swing with my sand wedge, or try a massive finesse style swing, neither of which I can do reliably.

However, I’m tending to agree with the overall sentiment that it’s really too soon.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Yes I’ve tried that, and that’s what I can’t do reliably. It’d feel a lot easier if I had clubs naturally gapped over say 70-100 yards. At the moment, I hit things with about 4-5 yards dispersion (mostly) with full swing at 100 yards (PW) and the same at about 75 yards (SW), but dispersion goes up to anything around or even over 10 yards between 50-75, and 80-90.

I probably just need to spend more time on partial swings to build up some degree of repeatability.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see some benefit of a fitting to get the right bounce/grind dependant on the angle of attack and the typical conditions on your course (tight lies etc). Other than that I agree with Bob and better off learning different shots with the wedges. Personally I think 54 degrees is too little loft for bunker shots in particular and I prefer my set up of PW (46) gap of 52 degrees and a 58 degree SW for an even split. From there its about playing about, having fun and learning what you can and can't do with loft face angle and ball position