Buggies banned course open!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So, I remember someone was complaing and siting discrimination a year back when a disabled person couldn’t access the course as a golfing member because buggies were banned due to the course conditions of the day.

How did this pan out, or is it still ongoing?

What does your club do, if anything in these situations.

I follow many clubs and see regular it’s ‘carry only’ or no buggies but trolleys ok etc.

Surely if the decision is based on health & safety due to parts of the course being too wet, but carrying and walking with or without trolleys around roped areas is ok so the course remains open for able bodied members, I personally don’t see any discrimination as there’s no comparisons to be made between a walking member and a disabled buggy user, the 2 are worlds apart as the risks are massively different.

Is a disabled member with his own buggy being selfish complaining when a course stays open but he cant access it based on the conditions being not suitable for any buggy use?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are contemplating a buggy path for our first 8 holes. Then, buggy users can still get out for a few holes. The only proviso is that they will have to stay on the path in really bad conditions and walk to their ball from the path at right angles.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...it’s not discriminatory because no one is stopped from playing...

Except those who REQUIRE a buggy to enable them to play! Though I'm pretty certain that they have expectations (and accept) that there will times when they will not be able to play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 3 course conditions

1. No restrictions on buggies
2. Use the buggy route (which is basically a defined route using the 90 degree rule to walk to your ball)
3 Buggy ban

I have one of the small motabilty scooter type buggies and argued very strongly that there are no Health and Safety issues with these but the club committee voted that when there is a ban all buggies are banned.

It is supposedly on H&E grounds but as the course manager makes the decision I reckon they are often made on course protection grounds.

Sadly when you take note of where some of the users take the buggies you can see why it is brought in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When our place has no buggies it is because they will do damage to the course. That's just one of those, you have to accept that. I don't see that as discrimination and it is stretching it to an extreme to see it that way. I would be very disappointed if people complained along those lines but in this modern era.......................

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Bloke at mine can only play with a buggy. Once his tablets wear off he is properly incapacitated which could be at any time through the round.
He gets a reduced membership.

I don’t believe in buggies, or trollies in winter. Makes the course look uninviting. Granted that I don’t really play in winter.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
The disabled golfer incident was not due to a buggy ban because of conditions . The course does not have buggies at all , although there are buggy routes that the green keepers use . As far as i am aware the case is still ongoing , but i will try to find out . The course was Haartswood in Brentwood Essex , a council owned course .

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's a course in Surrey that has been slagged off enough on this forum before that advertises the fact that they allow buggies all times of the year. So basically, screw the condition of the course, we want your money!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
They ban buggies and sometimes trolleys but not on hse grounds it’s more to protect the course during these wet times .I carry through winter anyway as it is hassle cleaning a trolley down after playing when it’s covered in mud .

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So for those that operate a no buggies of any kind at times, for any reason, do those members that can’t play without using one complain or claim it’s discrimination as the course is open but they're not allowed on it as a full paying member?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been doing a little research.
Caring I do 10,500 steps average of five rounds.
Trolley I do 13;000 steps average four rounds.
We have many roped areas around tees greens.
But as been said buggies are doing the most damage as the traffic is being forced down one route.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I see both sides. We have a guy with a degenerative condition that has forked out on his own individual buggy (one of those that looks like a souped up mobility trolley) who has been prevented from playing when we have buggy bans and has kicked off but I have also seen buggies going slap ban down the middle of fairways and avoid the paths (such as we have them). To be fair if it's that wet to ban buggies I'd argue it's too wet for ordinary trolleys too and shut the course and protect it for the benefit of everyone

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So for those that operate a no buggies of any kind at times, for any reason, do those members that can’t play without using one complain or claim it’s discrimination as the course is open but they're not allowed on it as a full paying member?
I think most buggy users are quite sensible and realistic about conditions.
But there’s always one or two.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

We have one of those Bans in place at the moment and there used to be complaining but we've updated our buggy policy so everyone can see why the ban is in place so the complaints have stopped.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is so rare that it happens and so obvious why that no one complained during the 18 months I was on the gents committee at my club. Our course drains well and so only enforces no buggies when it is really soggy. I've generally found that people understand and accept decisions that are logical and a buggy ban in wet weather is logical to me. It is not the fault of the club if the individual is unable to play without a buggy, it is something the individual has to accept before joining and paying their fees.

I'm guessing you have had someone kick off at your place, or nearby, over this or is it just curiosity at a hypothetical question? Complaining over this would seem unfair to me.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see both sides. We have a guy with a degenerative condition that has forked out on his own individual buggy (one of those that looks like a souped up mobility trolley) who has been prevented from playing when we have buggy bans and has kicked off but I have also seen buggies going slap ban down the middle of fairways and avoid the paths (such as we have them). To be fair if it's that wet to ban buggies I'd argue it's too wet for ordinary trolleys too and shut the course and protect it for the benefit of everyone[/QUOTE4
We have a 5 stage trolley / buggy policy , see attached link

Attachments

• file_0f0a5d52-0363-4702-812b-e8e58179a48ctrolley rules.pdf
    510.1 KB · Views: 18

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have one of those Bans in place at the moment and there used to be complaining but we've updated our buggy policy so everyone can see why the ban is in place so the complaints have stopped.
That’s a good point put up an explanation on on the notice board this will stop most complaints as the reason is in front of them.
But most clubs keep members in the dark.
Just email all buggy users of the course status when there’s a buggy ban as well.
It’s not that hard.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

We have updated our buggy policies and sent them all out by email, doesn’t stop confrontation and complaints in the mornings though which is unfair on our assistant pros who are only carrying out instructions and guidance from the inspections made every morning by the greenkeeper!

Can I get a copy of yours Ben please.