When is the course too wet?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
We were on preferred lies today. Conditions were perfect. No need for PL's at all...even on the lowest lying most sheltered (from the sun) part of the course.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Ideally it should be closed when the head greens person thinks that the course will sustain damage over and above the usual wear and tear it gets.

Problem is usually members who believe they have the right to play when they want or an owner/manager who isn’t prepared to lose money from visitors.

I am 100% more in favour of protecting the course than keeping it open to its detriment.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me the numbers that come off a golf course saying " that's too wet it should be closed"
If you think it should be closed ...get off!
A few years ago I played an early solo at Whipsnade
We'd had a lot of rain but the course was open.
Played the 1st and thought it was borderline, played the second tee shot and found I couldn't get off the tee unless I wanted to be ankle deep in mud.
Abandoned the ball and walked back
Told the Pro, told the Ladies that were about to go out....
Pro shrugged his shoulders, Ladies went out, I started checking out other clubs.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I'd say if there are puddles on the green making them unplayable then you might as well close the course. You're just wasting your time trying to play in that anyway.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played a fair amount of golf with puddles on the green. Don't think that of itself it makes a course too wet for play.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The weather must be pretty awful in UK recently because AG website now has a dedicated category in its main menu just titled 'Waterproof'

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
22094f9b-5cfa-4f0d-9caf-9583a3429b2f.jpegThis was the chipping green and practice range at Kingsbarns yesterday

IMG_7947.jpeg

Today was totally playable.

Just played at Ladybank, you wouldn’t know we’d had a storm like that, it was immaculate.