When is the course too wet?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
This last week, we have had a lot of rain, yet again, however I have managed to play 3 times, on at least two of those occasions, possible all the 3 the courses were really too wet, Monday was an open, it rain quite a bit during the round and most of the greens is patches of water on, a least on green you could not get a dry route to the hole, but they had taken money from the teams and food was being provided too so if it had been cancelled there would have been a loss to the club and also the caterers,
On Friday I played it another open with a full field, the greens were ok but the was so much water around on the fairways on and rough, trolleys were allowed but they left tracks everywhere, but again there would be a big loss if it had been cancelled.
The other day was at my own course and although it wasnt as bad as the other two I played it probably should have been closed too, it had been for the pervious few days.

It got me thinking about when courses should be closed and so I thought I would ask for other opinions.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This last week, we have had a lot of rain, yet again, however I have managed to play 3 times, on at least two of those occasions, possible all the 3 the courses were really too wet, Monday was an open, it rain quite a bit during the round and most of the greens is patches of water on, a least on green you could not get a dry route to the hole, but they had taken money from the teams and food was being provided too so if it had been cancelled there would have been a loss to the club and also the caterers,
On Friday I played it another open with a full field, the greens were ok but the was so much water around on the fairways on and rough, trolleys were allowed but they left tracks everywhere, but again there would be a big loss if it had been cancelled.
The other day was at my own course and although it wasnt as bad as the other two I played it probably should have been closed too, it had been for the pervious few days.

It got me thinking about when courses should be closed and so I thought I would ask for other opinions.
It would be a very subjective decision. What criteria would you suggest?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Virtually every year (some times twice) the river adjacent to our course overflows the 2 metre high flood protection bank.
For some reason the course is closed even if LCP is in force.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've found that generally courses "close themselves". If it's too wet, water ponding on greens, puddles on approaches and fairways, etc, then any sensible golfer would walk off - partly as the course becomes unplayable and partly to protect the course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your ball is on the green and there is no clear path to the hole because of standing water, then the course is unplayable.
But courses don't suddenly become waterlogged, there has probably been heavy rain in previous days and there's such a thing as weather forecasts* and if they say it's going to rain all day/night before an open then decisions have to be made before people travel.

*I know forecasts aren't always accurate

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Criteria for closure due to wetness...

1) Standing water on the greens
2) Fairways where the level of standing water makes taking relief difficult
3) Fairways wet to the extent that playing a stroke would likely cause significant damage to the course. If you play a stroke and end up with a face full of mud and water then in all honesty you probably shouldn't be out there
4) Water that causes a health and safety risk to golfers...excessively slippery hills and banks for example...especially around teeing areas that dont have steps.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah, it's tricky. We only had 12 holes open today and people were kicking off. Tbh, it probably was too wet to open the lower holes, and, if we had have the last qualifier of the year like we were supposed too, people would have said it should have been closed. Committee's can't win.

I always think the course shuts itself. Standing water across fairways and no clear route to holes on greens etc.

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It would be a very subjective decision. What criteria would you suggest?
Not suggesting anything really, although I do think some courses are kept open when they are unplayable because the club has taken a lot of money in bookings that they don't want to have to refund, the Monday one being a case in point.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Played an open at Stockport last Monday, course was a little wet and the weather a little iffy but we got away with it. Should have been at Fairhaven yesterday but just as we came off the motorway at Blackpool we got a phone call saying it was washed out. Went back and played at my home course, probably 30 miles South and although it was wet it was perfectly playable.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
members at our course will go out and come back in saying it’s too wet and should be closed. The club always say you chose to go out but we never know until we get out there. The problem the club have is one of getting a rep of constantly being closed over the winter.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can get there around here, not sure why you would bother, it's wetter there any everywhere else🤣🤣

Not stopped raining here in at least 36 hours and showing no signs of stopping ☹️
My son is in Oban and TomTom, which is pretty accurate, is showing the route to be via Inverness from Blairgowrie!