US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know which shot or player you are talking about here, but I did notice throughout the entire four days that occasionally the pictures and sound would get out of sync by a few seconds, presumably because they've delayed the picture by a few second but left the effects microphones live. It was most noticeable when you heard that awful sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup and rattling around while the ball was still on its way to the hole!
I was talking about Koepka on 16, I wondered if it was the dodgy audio, but Rich Beem confirmed someone had shouted as he was about to hit.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The general thoughts on here I see is that they should just man up and get on with it, even if they see good shots get punished. I’m with the other side though. To me a par 4 on tour should be set up in away that a bad tee shot means you have to hack it out back to the fairway, then either hit a wonder shot or hole a putt to make par. But when the wind, green speed and pin position take that away, then you are not rewarding skillful golfers and their ability to scramble pars. Which is the thing I admire most with tour players, they are good enough to hit a bad shot and still recover the hole.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The general thoughts on here I see is that they should just man up and get on with it, even if they see good shots get punished. I’m with the other side though. To me a par 4 on tour should be set up in away that a bad tee shot means you have to hack it out back to the fairway, then either hit a wonder shot or hole a putt to make par. But when the wind, green speed and pin position take that away, then you are not rewarding skillful golfers and their ability to scramble pars. Which is the thing I admire most with tour players, they are good enough to hit a bad shot and still recover the hole.
Imagine a snooker table that was so fast that the best in the world could not control the cue ball it would be silly.
I thought the course was a great test but just some silly pins , even the best in the world need more than a square yard to land the ball on .

Bet the USGA are delighted +1 was the winning score and justifies their actions.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This is my issue at times with the US Open. To me, Sunday had the course set up perfectly. Some difficult pins that anyone trying to get too close and getting it wrong got punished, but it was still possible to attack them if you got it right. To make a score yesterday you had to hit good drives, good approaches and make putts, the course still wasn't going to roll over and let you take it apart unless you played out of your skin.

Only 15 out of 67 players managed to break par yesterday and out of that only 4 players managed better than 2 under. To me that is a perfectly set up course, your not going to finish the weekend with crazy low totals. But what we will see is the best players able to play good shots without being punished by bad luck.

Cant argue with that summary. I would suggest they would potentially look to make the opening round(s) harder without getting to the farcical situation of Saturday but them present a more competitive yet still difficult set up for the weekend. It's about a balance and they got it wrong until yesterday

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cant argue with that summary. I would suggest they would potentially look to make the opening round(s) harder without getting to the farcical situation of Saturday but them present a more competitive yet still difficult set up for the weekend. It's about a balance and they got it wrong until yesterday

I think they saved their ass yesterday. They made it interesting by allowing players to make a score, if they played good shots, shame Tommy didn’t make one more birdie. Watching Koepka going into the last 2 holes needing back to back pars to win would have been fun to watch