US Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I doubt I would get less than 130 on that set up. With my legendary accuracy and deft touch around the greens.......:D

Brutal test of golf but I enjoy watching the pro's take a hiding every now and again

D

Deleted member 15344

I just can't get over how bad they are all playing in a bit of wind the lowest score is -1, tour professionals who can't play in windy conditions

The wind is a lot stronger than expected , the fairways are hard and the rough is harder than you have ever seen , then when you add in greens that are harder and quicker than you have witnessed , plus some of the holes are significantly longer than you expect on a normal course and the horrors can be seen. It’s not a case of “can’t play in the wind”

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I doubt I would get less than 130 on that set up. With my legendary accuracy and deft touch around the greens.......:D

Brutal test of golf but I enjoy watching the pro's take a hiding every now and again

I'm still new to this game but I just can't get over how high the scores are I just a bit of wind I can't get over how these player who regularly hit -9, first day in perfect conditions and are +5/10 today

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm still new to this game but I just can't get over how high the scores are I just a bit of wind I can't get over how these player who regularly hit -9, first day in perfect conditions and are +5/10 today

Have you played links golf? Even a straight shot down the middle can take a turn for the worse with no wind let alone this

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
The wind is a lot stronger than expected , the fairways are hard and the rough is harder than you have ever seen , then when you add in greens that are harder and quicker than you have witnessed , plus some of the holes are significantly longer than you expect on a normal course and the horrors can be seen. It’s not a case of “can’t play in the wind”

I expected much more if I'm honest and seeing the type of golf that's been on display the past few weeks/months the only real difference I can see is the wind

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I expected much more if I'm honest and seeing the type of golf that's been on display the past few weeks/months the only real difference I can see is the wind

How many US open courses have you played set up like Shinecock recently ?? Another question, how many greens have you putted on that play around 13+ on the stimp.....in the wind ??

I've seen no tv footage at all from this year but I do remember 1995 with Pavin.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Offt that is think it doesn't look that bad either on the tv, in fact I mind Mickelson wanting a ruling about not seeing his ball in the rough

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Excellent start from Rose and hopefully Poutler can finish things off, not disappointed to see Hatton struggle.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Currently just the two players under par ( and just under par ) - with 70 plus players over par. Whilst Rory is having a mare the list of players getting beaten up is growing , and the course is going to dry up which is going to make it worse

And your point is ?
Barely halfway through the 1 st day and you are on a. mission, you are right ,the USGA are wrong.
Be patient, who knows the wind may fade ,it may rain !
I am not the only one on here whose opinion differs to yours ,it is a forum it is what we do.
Dress it up however you like but in my opinion the featured group played some poor golf and as said earlier it makes a change to see a tough exam paper .
IMO off course.

D

Deleted member 15344

And your point is ?
Barely halfway through the 1 st day and you are on a. mission, you are right ,the USGA are wrong.
Be patient, who knows the wind may fade ,it may rain !
I am not the only one on here whose opinion differs to yours ,it is a forum it is what we do.
Dress it up however you like but in my opinion the featured group played some poor golf and as said earlier it makes a change to see a tough exam paper .
IMO off course.

There was no point calm yourself down dear

It’s quite clear when looking beyond just the featured group that many people have struggled today with the course , average score today after the storms they had is about 5 over , the wind is getting up and the course is drying out , the weather forecast is for sun and wind , only going to make it harder over the coming days.

When you watch Marshall’s struggle to walk through the second cut because it’s that tall and thick and you see some of the strongest players struggle to get it out of first cut more than 10 yards then something doesn’t seem right

If you enjoy it then crack on -I would just like to see it a touch more fairer especially the rough, but I just gave an opinion that was also shared by others - no one said we were right it was just an opinion

And the USGA have a history of wanting high scores but getting it wrong and going too penal

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You must be trolling surely

Course looks so tough from TV, loads of tee shots you are hitting into blind fairways from awkward angles, miss it by a bit and you in deep thick fescue that you can’t even see your ball in. Then hitting onto greens that are faster than anything you ever played before and holes on slopes then endless false parts of greens that ball just run off

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I have played once on a links course in girvin on a wet and windy day and used the wind to take my ball rather than fight it and done ok, iv never played in the us Iv only played in Scotland and I can adapt to the conditions that I play not that I'm good but I know if the greens are fast play them slower if the wind is coming from the left hit right common sense type of stuff, if I can do that after a year of playing how can tour pros not with x amount of years on tour with maps of greens a second set of eyes all the advice available ect ect

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have played once on a links course in girvin on a wet and windy day and used the wind to take my ball rather than fight it and done ok, iv never played in the us Iv only played in Scotland and I can adapt to the conditions that I play not that I'm good but I know if the greens are fast play them slower if the wind is coming from the left hit right common sense type of stuff, if I can do that after a year of playing how can tour pros not with x amount of years on tour with maps of greens a second set of eyes all the advice available ect ect

Careful now or I'll start to accuse you of trolling.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What point are you trying to make?

The poayers arent playing bad on purpose, the scores are clearly bad so it must be pretty tough?

Not like we got a bad bunch of players this era

D

Deleted member 1418

Blimey - all this before 'he who shall not be named' has tee'd off too......🤫😉😂

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

you must be dead good.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You must be trolling surely

Course looks so tough from TV, loads of tee shots you are hitting into blind fairways from awkward angles, miss it by a bit and you in deep thick fescue that you can’t even see your ball in. Then hitting onto greens that are faster than anything you ever played before and holes on slopes then endless false parts of greens that ball just run off

If you read his previous posts he clearly states “he’s new to Golf”, so he’ll only see what his limited experience of playing & watching Golf is offering him, which as he states, is only the wind.

People are too quick at times to throw out the “trolling card”.