Twilight special a kick in the teeth to members

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
i belive its half price but to add insult to injury theyve just put an offer out for 3 month golf deals at the pro rata membership money, so effectively 3 months of unlimited golf during peak season...... why bother paying to be a member

Yep, wouldn't be happy with that at all.

mister v

Visit site
Can understand your frustration. But there have been a lot of members who didn’t renew their memberships.

You may have paid for the time you couldn’t play but maybe there’s a risk that without outside revenue you’ll have no course at all.
very good point , its a difficult time for clubs but i just think that the membership deserved a few months to play after what was a shocking period of wet cold weather and then the inforced break before having to reach for the lube and grabbing our ankles

Zig

Visit site
I'm starting to see, via FB feeds, more clubs in the NE opening up to visitors generally, both members clubs and proprietary clubs. I think they are jumping in very early, they really should be giving their members priority for a little longer, until June 1st at least imo.
Our club is members only at the min... no guests or visitors. Interested in any NE courses open to visitors tho... usually play with my brother on his birthday in June and he's not a member anywhere. Any suggestions?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club is members only at the min... no guests or visitors. Interested in any NE courses open to visitors tho... usually play with my brother on his birthday in June and he's not a member anywhere. Any suggestions?

Newbiggin
Dunstanburgh castle
Alnwick
Newcastle united
Longhurst hall
Gosforth golf club

More will no doubt be added to the list by next week.....

mister v

Visit site
As far as you're aware?

Sorry but that's a very weird answer, surely if you're a member you must know if it's member-owned or otherwise?
Hi Traminator Its a members owned club but has just been incorporated, hence my answer , wasnt sure how many directors there were etc .......... but hopefully i've cleared the point up for you

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moogie nailed it for Northumberland. I know Ramside Hall is taking visitors in Durham. It largely depends on what type of course you want, where you want to travel to.

If you ask again nearer the time then we may be able to add some more names. Moogie is your man, his finger is on the pulse up here ?

Reactions: Zig

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WE are fortunate in that we have an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course it was very quickly realised that the 9 hole course was majorly under used so it was very quickly opened up to visitors to play nine holes only.

It is now the only source of income and one of the reasons wanted to implement it very quickly.

The other being is that currently we are the only club open in the area and it was to take advantage of all the others from other clubs that are desperate for a game.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hi Traminator Its a members owned club but has just been incorporated, hence my answer , wasnt sure how many directors there were etc .......... but hopefully i've cleared the point up for you

Lots of golf courses are in this bracket. We used to have a committee, but now have a board, and a committee. The board run the business. The committee run the club. I can only assume the board need the cash. Most members golf clubs are non profit making, so greed doesn't come in to it.

D

Deleted member 18588

Lots of golf courses are in this bracket. We used to have a committee, but now have a board, and a committee. The board run the business. The committee run the club. I can only assume the board need the cash. Most members golf clubs are non profit making, so greed doesn't come in to it.
If the board need cash it will only be because the club needs cash.

I imagine the purpose of forming a corporate body will be purely to protect individual members from liability in the event of financial difficulties.

All assets are in the ownership of the limited company and the shares of that company are owned by a members trust.

Certainly that is pretty standard practice these days for members' clubs.

Zig

Visit site
Moogie nailed it for Northumberland. I know Ramside Hall is taking visitors in Durham. It largely depends on what type of course you want, where you want to travel to.

If you ask again nearer the time then we may be able to add some more names. Moogie is your man, his finger is on the pulse up here ?

Thanks loads. Pre-covid was hoping to do a Castle Stuart/Dornoch combo, with somewhere on the way up.

Instead, was thinking somewhere like Goswick (can't tell from their website if they're taking visitors) or Ganton (which are - great!). Can't have a stopover anywhere obviously at the min, so looking to do two consecutive days golfing, but returning home to Hartlepool/Newcastle on the night between. Was wondering about places like Dunstanburgh, Bamburgh, Close House - or places you guys know - and then picking two from whichever we can get on ;)

Thanks again.
Paul

Diamond

Visit site
Our club still has members only and all slots are rammed up till 1830 every day. No guests allowed but they did change the rule on Tuesday to only allow 7 day members to book Saturdays and also allow 7 day members 4 tee times a week (Monday to Sunday) and not 3.
If they allowed guests when would they play as members are filling most tee times. On the other hand I would like to book as a visitor at some other courses for June and from what people have said on this thread thst should be possible over the next couple of weeks.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i belive its half price but to add insult to injury theyve just put an offer out for 3 month golf deals at the pro rata membership money, so effectively 3 months of unlimited golf during peak season...... why bother paying to be a member
Now that really is crazy, pro-rata. Cant see any sense in that at all.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
From Monday we are switching from 9 holes front or back nine to pre 10.45 9 holes and after 10.45 18 holes. It is expected that a some after 10.45 will only play 9 or 12.
Members only

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks loads. Pre-covid was hoping to do a Castle Stuart/Dornoch combo, with somewhere on the way up.

Instead, was thinking somewhere like Goswick (can't tell from their website if they're taking visitors) or Ganton (which are - great!). Can't have a stopover anywhere obviously at the min, so looking to do two consecutive days golfing, but returning home to Hartlepool/Newcastle on the night between. Was wondering about places like Dunstanburgh, Bamburgh, Close House - or places you guys know - and then picking two from whichever we can get on ;)

Thanks again.
Paul
Those are three great choices, Dunstanburgh is definitely open to visitors, I would be surprised if the Filly course at Close House was not. Bamburgh is currently closed to visitors, who knows in 2 weeks time?

I find alnwick good fun but it gets largely forgotten up here. If you can't get on the others have a look there. Also, have a look at Linden Hall, it is open. A very underrated course, I think it is a really strong layout that is badly marketed.

Normally I would throw in Foxton, Alnmouth GC, but members are struggling to get times so I can't see that opening up for a good while yet.

Reactions: Zig

mister v

Visit site
Just a little update, while having a socially distanced chat with one of the pro's last night regarding the twilight deals and visitors. we as members can book 4 days in advance , which is working well it must be said. Visitors can book 7 days ahead...... im not sure if that relates to the twilight golf but it does for normal tee times. Im playing later today so im making a list of things to question, im hoping to be constructive rather than a member having a rant!!! please feel free to help me along

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a little update, while having a socially distanced chat with one of the pro's last night regarding the twilight deals and visitors. we as members can book 4 days in advance , which is working well it must be said. Visitors can book 7 days ahead...... im not sure if that relates to the twilight golf but it does for normal tee times. Im playing later today so im making a list of things to question, im hoping to be constructive rather than a member having a rant!!! please feel free to help me along
Unless I'm missing something surely it should be that members can book for 7 days ahead and then, when members have had enough time to sort themselves out, non members can fill the missing tee times ?