Twilight special a kick in the teeth to members

D

Deleted Member 1156

Private club mate
As murph says, I get why they are doing it but I think it would have been prudent to make it members only for maybe the first month or so just so that they can get their golfing fix after such a long layoff.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In Wales it is singles or 2 balls with members of same household only. First few days it was singles before 4pm. Following feedback, we had an email slaying for next few days we are going to put 2 ball times in 2 tranches through the day to "see how that works" and to give the 2 balls more flexibility in playing times. All times are getting booked out so it is not guests or visitors and you can only book twice in 5 days for now.

But, we are getting emails every couple of days from the Committee saying what they are doing and why - can't fault them at all.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Very well put Lord Tyrion. and as always in our club it was just posted up on twitter, no discusion with the membership

If it’s a members club I assume you mean the committee posted. Doesn't the membership vote them into office to make the majority of decisions, not to return to the membership for a straw-poll before decisions can be made

In saying that I agree with you, its seems too soon for a members club to be opening itself up to visitors

D

Deleted member 21258

I would not be happy and would email the sectary or board, mentioning politely why I was upset at not being able to get tee times currently.

If the visitors only get the tee times left over, then that would be perfectly okay with me.

mister v

Visit site
If it's stopping members being able to book times then yes it is taking the pee. Also, how cheap is cheap. Are they massively reducing the normal rate?
i belive its half price but to add insult to injury theyve just put an offer out for 3 month golf deals at the pro rata membership money, so effectively 3 months of unlimited golf during peak season...... why bother paying to be a member

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Committees are golfers too, they are aware that some decisions will be unpopular with the broader membership, but running a golf club is hard. If the club needs cash then opening to visitors is a quick and easy way to get it coming in.

Committees don't have to consult with the membership on each decision they make - that's why we select a committee in the first place, so they do all the work without the membership having to think about it.

I agree that communication is important though - no reason to keep members in the dark about the reasons behind decisions made by the committee.

mister v

Visit site
I would not be happy and would email the sectary or board, mentioning politely why I was upset at not being able to get tee times currently.

If the visitors only get the tee times left over, then that would be perfectly okay with me.
completely agree mate

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i suppose I could look at it both ways. My thought is that if a club wants the luxury of not having pay and play golfers, they need to set their membership fees at a level that allows the club to run fully for the year without the need for the additional external income. If the membership cost is reduced by taking into account a level of income from nomadic golfers and that is what the membership voted on then it is beholden to the committee to do what it can to match the forecast budget for the year. With a limited window to get this income in and with a massive demand at the moment, it makes good management sense to sell off some tee times now at a premium rather than have to compete in a more saturated market in a few weeks time.

OK, that argument above now makes no sense at all now i have seen the post stating that they are half price and also offering 3 month membership deals. That suggests to me either and inherent level of greed of that the club's finances are totally shot and they need cash quick

mister v

Visit site
Committees are golfers too, they are aware that some decisions will be unpopular with the broader membership, but running a golf club is hard. If the club needs cash then opening to visitors is a quick and easy way to get it coming in.

Committees don't have to consult with the membership on each decision they make - that's why we select a committee in the first place, so they do all the work without the membership having to think about it.

I agree that communication is important though - no reason to keep members in the dark about the reasons behind decisions made by the committee.
great post lincolnshep, but our club isnt on the breadline, its a very busy club, good membership..... i just wished theyd given it another month or two until things had calmed down a bit

mister v

Visit site
i suppose I could look at it both ways. My thought is that if a club wants the luxury of not having pay and play golfers, they need to set their membership fees at a level that allows the club to run fully for the year without the need for the additional external income. If the membership cost is reduced by taking into account a level of income from nomadic golfers and that is what the membership voted on then it is beholden to the committee to do what it can to match the forecast budget for the year. With a limited window to get this income in and with a massive demand at the moment, it makes good management sense to sell off some tee times now at a premium rather than have to compete in a more saturated market in a few weeks time.

OK, that argument above now makes no sense at all now i have seen the post stating that they are half price and also offering 3 month membership deals. That suggests to me either and inherent level of greed of that the club's finances are totally shot and they need cash quick
it seems to be the former mate

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely agree with the OP about this. my club is in a very similar situation, we had quiet a few members not renew but the majority stuck with 'The Club' and paid up.

Now we are back playing it is 'Members Only', well done to the committee I say, it would have felt like a right kick in the teeth if it was opened up to visitors after the majority stuck with it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Twilight slots at my place would have me doing my nut. We pay a four figure sum for 7 day membership and the only times I can play are weekends and weekday evenings.

That said, my club has made us aware that we are in a financially OK place as we had a very good response to membership renewals this year. So my losing the plot over twilight deals would simply be on the basis that we have been told that we don't need visitor green fees.

If we were in a less OK place then I'd say 'needs must' to keep the club afloat - but I'd be looking to the club to prioritise at least some weekend tee times for those who can't play weekdays.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If clubs do want to offer green fees then I would have no issue with giving members until say 2.00pm to book a time for today (surely even at work you'd know if you were likely to finish on time and fancied a game) and then give the public the chance to book for the later afternoon slots. I can't see that members could have too much to moan about when they know they have to book to play and hadn't bothered to do so. At that point in the day I see it as no different to say other members simply getting there in front of you. I would though have a huge issue with visitors being able to log on as soon as the days times are released and book ahead of those that have stumped up already and more so if I couldn't get a weekend time if I worked all week

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can understand your frustration. But there have been a lot of members who didn’t renew their memberships.

You may have paid for the time you couldn’t play but maybe there’s a risk that without outside revenue you’ll have no course at all.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We open to visitors next week - be interesting to see what fees are being charged as we are usually pretty popular with the visiting public.

Our issue since reopening has been timing as we have 3 9s and the usual timing used for booking has meant queues on the tee as people had completed their first nine more quickly than usual. This needs sorting before opening it up further.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We open to visitors next week - be interesting to see what fees are being charged as we are usually pretty popular with the visiting public.

Our issue since reopening has been timing as we have 3 9s and the usual timing used for booking has meant queues on the tee as people had completed their first nine more quickly than usual. This needs sorting before opening it up further.

Out of interest, how are you dealing with having 3 loops of nine. My former club has the same and has shut it down so there is only 18 holes open a day and only one start point whereas previously we had 3 start points and you could play whichever holes you wanted.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Our club has limited us to only being able to book once every three days to ensure all the members get a go. However, you can call up on the day and fill any gaps, this does not go against your bookings. So I could book Monday and Thursday only but if there are gaps on Tuesday or Wednesday I can play then as well. It's working well with most members being able to get out. The committee and volunteers are doing the marshalling at the first extremely well with the right attitude they did go around the course for the first couple of days but found there was no need to as we looked after ourselves fine. The office are keeping us informed daily, they are also learning as we go and suffered from the IG system biting them on the first day :D

No guests or visitors yet but I'm sure it's not far away. Would think this will come in when we go to three balls.

CK

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now is the time to prove why it’s beneficial to be a member of a golf club. This action affirms the view that nomadic golf is the rational option.
ah - but in your heart you know that you really do love your club :)

But certainly at they moment members clubs have to demonstrate how much they love and care for the members.