Equality & Diversity in the NHS

The Dog.

Visit site
Clap for the NHS. Save our NHS. The NHS desperately needs more funding. It is the envy of the world. And so on and so on. Well see below for a list of what your tax payers money goes on. This is a glossary from the NHS equality and diversity page and a finer collection of woke tripe you will not find. How the NHS can justify this and demand more cash is a mystery to me. Last summer, one NHS trust in England was advertising for 3 climate change directors at 0ver £90K a year a pop. Utterly ludicrous.

Glossary A-Z

A

Ally – Allyship

Authentic vs Performative

An ally is any person that actively promotes and aspires to advance the culture of inclusion through intentional, positive and conscious efforts that benefit people as a whole. Everyone has the ability to be an ally because privilege is intersectional.

This means that white women can be actionable allies to people of colour, men can be allies to women, ‘straight’ people can be allies to members of the LGBT+ community, ‘able’- bodied people can be allies to those with different abilities, economically privileged people can be allies to those who are not and so on.

The idea behind being an ally is that to actively promote the inclusion of others requires empathy and an understanding of their lived experience. Allyship is considered a lifelong process of building relationships based on trust, consistency, and accountability with marginalized individuals and/or groups of people.

Allyship: is not self-defined work, and those you are seeking to ally with must recognize efforts. It is considered to be an opportunity to grow and learn about other people, whilst building confidence in others. This links with the idea of being actively anti-racist.

Performative allyship: is seen to be done out of self-interest and benefits the ally not the discriminated person. It may make the ally ‘look good’ or more credible but if it does not come with authentic allyship and the genuine process of achieving equality then it is not real allyship.

Anti-Racist

This is an idea captured by Ibram X that says considering yourself not racist is insufficient to redress discrimination or make change happen. He argues that to make the change we must be actively anti-racist.

Taking action against racist practice and policy and calling out and holding to account those who demonstrate racist behaviours, language and tendencies. His central tenet being unless you are an active part of the solution then you remain part of the problem.

A form of racism against Jewish people including religion. This includes discrimination against Jewish people as a racial and religious group.

B

Black Lives Matter Movement

George Floyd’s murder in 2020 has become a metaphor for the lived experience of all forms of racial violence and has given rise to the Black Lives Matter Movement;

a social movement originally in protest about the murder of black men

by the police, but now more widely a movement advocating for social justice and black liberation.

C

Colonialism

Racial categories have their origins in colonialism; the historical and political processes by which groups and nation states enrich themselves through economic and social control of other countries and sub-groups. Colonial forces used violence and ideology to legitimise the idea that white people were superior to other groups; white supremacy.

Many of our relationship with the Commonwealth for example are based on and grew out of colonial relationships where England colonised other countries.

This has led to the relationships that still exist and develop today. For example, Windrush marks the arrival by invitation of Caribbean people to work in the UK; the legacy of that history is felt throughout the NHS through the make-up of our workforce and our communities. Slavery and colonialism have shaped our relationship with the world leaving a living legacy in our modern society, our communities and our workforce.

Coming out

When a person first tells someone/others about their orientation and/or gender identity.

Cultural Appropriation

Often thought of as a modern version of colonisation, appropriation here means to take or take-on the cultural aspects of other people. This includes adopting language, traditions, fashion or style, hair style and so on and representing them as part of your own cultural heritage often ignoring the abuse and history of colonialism.

This is viewed as happening when there is an imbalance of power and privilege – the idea here is that a dominant culture appropriates from a marginalised one (and not the other way around). The power to appropriate is important in this concept and cultural appropriation is considered a form of stealing the identities of others.

TRUNCATED FOR EVERYONE'S SANITY AND TO REDUCE THE MESSAGE SIZE

White Centering

Centering of white people, white power, values, norms and feelings over others.

The conscious and unconscious belief that that whiteness is the norm or normal and that BIPOC is Other.

White Exceptionalism

The belief that as a white person you may be exempt from white supremacy, that is, that you are an exception or ‘one of the good ones’ and therefore anti-racist work does not apply to you.

White Fragility

Coined by DiAngelo defined as a ‘state in which even a minimum of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves’ by white people. The process of white fragility means white people defend against and avoid acknowledging and working with their own racism.

White Privilege

A term coined by Peggy McIntosh where she describes White privilege is like “an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks”.

‘I have often noticed men’s unwillingness to grant that they are over privileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women’s statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can’t or won’t support the idea of lessening men. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women’s disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.

Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of white privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person,

I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So, I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was “meant” to remain oblivious.

White Saviourism

Rooted in colonialism white saviourist approaches assumes that BME peopleneed white people to save them, the idea behind this is that without white intervention, ‘help’, and guidance, BIPOC will be left helpless and unable to act for themselves.

This reinforces the idea that BME people need white people to manage and survive because white people are superior.

White Supresmacy or White Supremacism

The belief that white people are superior to those of other races and thus should dominate them.

The belief favours the maintenance and defence of white power and privilege. White supremacy has roots in the now-discredited doctrine of scientific racism and was a key justification for colonialism.

Woke

A term that refers to a perceived awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice. It derives from an African-American expression ‘stay woke’.

First used in the 1940s, woke has resurfaced in recent years as a concept that symbolizes perceived awareness of social issues and social justice movements. By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term associated with progressive or socially liberal causes such as anti- racism, feminism, environmentalism and LGBT+ activism.

Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter Movement and also the more recent murder of George Floyd in 2020. The term someone is or is not ‘woke’ is often used as shorthand and refers to their level of awareness around issues of race and racism (as well as other forms of discrimination). It is also used to indicate or encourage a form of vigilance and resilience and we implore people to ‘stay woke’.

Xenophobia

Both the fear and hatred of others used in reference to strangers or foreigners. When xenophobia is also racist we speak of xenophobic and racist behaviour.

Incredible times we live in. As I said on Bobmac's thread, the NHS is broken in many ways. Procurement, HR, finance, senior management - all absolutely unfit for purpose. But again, that does not take anything away from the absolutely wonderful people on the front line who do their level best and save lives.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clap for the NHS. Save our NHS. The NHS desperately needs more funding. It is the envy of the world. And so on and so on. Well see below for a list of what your tax payers money goes on. This is a glossary from the NHS equality and diversity page and a finer collection of woke tripe you will not find. How the NHS can justify this and demand more cash is a mystery to me. Last summer, one NHS trust in England was advertising for 3 climate change directors at 0ver £90K a year a pop. Utterly ludicrous.

Glossary A-Z

A

Ally – Allyship

An ally is any person that actively promotes and aspires to advance the culture of inclusion through intentional, positive and conscious efforts that benefit people as a whole. Everyone has the ability to be an ally because privilege is intersectional.

This means that white women can be actionable allies to people of colour, men can be allies to women, ‘straight’ people can be allies to members of the LGBT+ community, ‘able’- bodied people can be allies to those with different abilities, economically privileged people can be allies to those who are not and so on.

The idea behind being an ally is that to actively promote the inclusion of others requires empathy and an understanding of their lived experience. Allyship is considered a lifelong process of building relationships based on trust, consistency, and accountability with marginalized individuals and/or groups of people.

Allyship: is not self-defined work, and those you are seeking to ally with must recognize efforts. It is considered to be an opportunity to grow and learn about other people, whilst building confidence in others. This links with the idea of being actively anti-racist.

Performative allyship: is seen to be done out of self-interest and benefits the ally not the discriminated person. It may make the ally ‘look good’ or more credible but if it does not come with authentic allyship and the genuine process of achieving equality then it is not real allyship.

Anti-Racist

This is an idea captured by Ibram X that says considering yourself not racist is insufficient to redress discrimination or make change happen. He argues that to make the change we must be actively anti-racist.

Taking action against racist practice and policy and calling out and holding to account those who demonstrate racist behaviours, language and tendencies. His central tenet being unless you are an active part of the solution then you remain part of the problem.

A form of racism against Jewish people including religion. This includes discrimination against Jewish people as a racial and religious group.

B

George Floyd’s murder in 2020 has become a metaphor for the lived experience of all forms of racial violence and has given rise to the Black Lives Matter Movement;

by the police, but now more widely a movement advocating for social justice and black liberation.

C

Colonialism

Racial categories have their origins in colonialism; the historical and political processes by which groups and nation states enrich themselves through economic and social control of other countries and sub-groups. Colonial forces used violence and ideology to legitimise the idea that white people were superior to other groups; white supremacy.

Many of our relationship with the Commonwealth for example are based on and grew out of colonial relationships where England colonised other countries.

This has led to the relationships that still exist and develop today. For example, Windrush marks the arrival by invitation of Caribbean people to work in the UK; the legacy of that history is felt throughout the NHS through the make-up of our workforce and our communities. Slavery and colonialism have shaped our relationship with the world leaving a living legacy in our modern society, our communities and our workforce.

Coming out

When a person first tells someone/others about their orientation and/or gender identity.

Cultural Appropriation

Often thought of as a modern version of colonisation, appropriation here means to take or take-on the cultural aspects of other people. This includes adopting language, traditions, fashion or style, hair style and so on and representing them as part of your own cultural heritage often ignoring the abuse and history of colonialism.

This is viewed as happening when there is an imbalance of power and privilege – the idea here is that a dominant culture appropriates from a marginalised one (and not the other way around). The power to appropriate is important in this concept and cultural appropriation is considered a form of stealing the identities of others.

White Centering

The conscious and unconscious belief that that whiteness is the norm or normal and that BIPOC is Other.

White Exceptionalism

The belief that as a white person you may be exempt from white supremacy, that is, that you are an exception or ‘one of the good ones’ and therefore anti-racist work does not apply to you.

White Fragility

Coined by DiAngelo defined as a ‘state in which even a minimum of racial stress becomes intolerable, triggering a range of defensive moves’ by white people. The process of white fragility means white people defend against and avoid acknowledging and working with their own racism.

White Privilege

A term coined by Peggy McIntosh where she describes White privilege is like “an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, codebooks, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks”.

‘I have often noticed men’s unwillingness to grant that they are over privileged, even though they may grant that women are disadvantaged. They may say they will work to women’s statues, in the society, the university, or the curriculum, but they can’t or won’t support the idea of lessening men. Denials that amount to taboos surround the subject of advantages that men gain from women’s disadvantages. These denials protect male privilege from being fully acknowledged, lessened, or ended.

Thinking through unacknowledged male privilege as a phenomenon, I realized that, since hierarchies in our society are interlocking, there was most likely a phenomenon of white privilege that was similarly denied and protected. As a white person,

I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege. So, I have begun in an untutored way to ask what it is like to have white privilege. I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was “meant” to remain oblivious.

White Saviourism

Rooted in colonialism white saviourist approaches assumes that BME peopleneed white people to save them, the idea behind this is that without white intervention, ‘help’, and guidance, BIPOC will be left helpless and unable to act for themselves.

This reinforces the idea that BME people need white people to manage and survive because white people are superior.

The belief that white people are superior to those of other races and thus should dominate them.

The belief favours the maintenance and defence of white power and privilege. White supremacy has roots in the now-discredited doctrine of scientific racism and was a key justification for colonialism.

Woke

A term that refers to a perceived awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice. It derives from an African-American expression ‘stay woke’.

First used in the 1940s, woke has resurfaced in recent years as a concept that symbolizes perceived awareness of social issues and social justice movements. By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term associated with progressive or socially liberal causes such as anti- racism, feminism, environmentalism and LGBT+ activism.

Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter Movement and also the more recent murder of George Floyd in 2020. The term someone is or is not ‘woke’ is often used as shorthand and refers to their level of awareness around issues of race and racism (as well as other forms of discrimination). It is also used to indicate or encourage a form of vigilance and resilience and we implore people to ‘stay woke’.

Xenophobia

Both the fear and hatred of others used in reference to strangers or foreigners. When xenophobia is also racist we speak of xenophobic and racist behaviour.

Incredible times we live in. As I said on Bobmac's thread, the NHS is broken in many ways. Procurement, HR, finance, senior management - all absolutely unfit for purpose. But again, that does not take anything away from the absolutely wonderful people on the front line who do their level best and save lives.

Is that your searing critique of the NHS? Wow.

Lots of companies have policies on diversity and equality, especially those with a bad track record on it. If that is all you have to complain about, consider yourself lucky.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

Glossary A-Z

A

Ally – Allyship

Anti-Racist

B

C

Colonialism

Coming out

Cultural Appropriation

White Centering

White Exceptionalism

White Fragility

White Privilege

White Saviourism

Woke

Xenophobia

Are you white, middle class and British by any chance?

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I agreed with you on the other thread that we should always welcome a multiplicity of views, as long as the conversation is mutually respectful. That is how we grow as individuals and as a society, without becoming an echo chamber.

However, regarding the specificity of your view, I agree with the other posters above. If this is the biggest criticism of the NHS, then humanity is toast since almost every organization on the planet has policies regarding inclusion and equality.

The Dog.

Visit site
If this is the biggest criticism of the NHS, then humanity is toast since almost every organization on the planet has policies regarding inclusion and equality.

It is not. My biggest criticisms are the shocking inefficiencies of the procurement and HR capabilities across the NHS coupled with ineffective senior management.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
It is not. My biggest criticisms are the shocking inefficiencies of the procurement and HR capabilities across the NHS coupled with ineffective senior management.
I’m intrigued as to where you get your knowledge of all these thing. Have you been involved in the NHS at an extremely high managerial level?

The Dog.

Visit site
I’m intrigued as to where you get your knowledge of all these thing. Have you been involved in the NHS at an extremely high managerial level?

Yes. Particularly with big NHS Trust procurement departments. They are so bad, so wasteful and so resistant to change that it makes you despair for the taxpayer and their clinical colleagues.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes. Particularly with big NHS Trust procurement departments. They are so bad, so wasteful and so resistant to change that it makes you despair for the taxpayer and their clinical colleagues.
So your (company's) bid was not accepted? And maybe you missed out on a bonus/promotion?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The original post lost me a lot in terms of what are you trying to say?
As a supplier of goods to the NHS, I agree that the procurement process is a nightmare and I feel for some of the end users who have to justify for goods going in there, and then people making decisions based on short-term initial outlay rather than value and longer-term benefits.
I would agree that the whole procurement process in the NHS is clunky and needs a total reboot.
The issue is that the NHS buys such a diverse amount of material, from pens to NMR machines, that trying to put a working "one size fits all" process is something beyond what they currently can do.
However, in terms of the Inclusion and Diversity part of your post. I'm really not sure of your point? Every major company has that. It is intrinsic to our culture and if you are tendering for any publicly funded business, you'd better make sure your company has it as well.