Twilight special a kick in the teeth to members

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just a little update, while having a socially distanced chat with one of the pro's last night regarding the twilight deals and visitors. we as members can book 4 days in advance , which is working well it must be said. Visitors can book 7 days ahead...... im not sure if that relates to the twilight golf but it does for normal tee times. Im playing later today so im making a list of things to question, im hoping to be constructive rather than a member having a rant!!! please feel free to help me along
That seems a bit bizarre, is there anything to stop you booking as a visitor under an assumed name?

Doodle

Visit site
Our club is taking visitors.
The chairman sent out an email when we first reopened requesting members to limit their tee bookings to 2x per week.

I am quite happy to comply with this for the benefit of my fellow members, but not if we are taking visitors.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a little update, while having a socially distanced chat with one of the pro's last night regarding the twilight deals and visitors. we as members can book 4 days in advance , which is working well it must be said. Visitors can book 7 days ahead...... im not sure if that relates to the twilight golf but it does for normal tee times. Im playing later today so im making a list of things to question, im hoping to be constructive rather than a member having a rant!!! please feel free to help me along
Ask him Is the financial Health of the club in a state where getting money from visitors is a priority over members that have kept the club alive through lockdown.?
If so just show us so we can understand the situation.

I would not be happy with visitors getting priority booking over members.

mister v

Visit site
Ask him Is the financial Health of the club in a state where getting money from visitors is a priority over members that have kept the club alive through lockdown.?
If so just show us so we can understand the situation.

I would not be happy with visitors getting priority booking over members.
Thanks clubchamp98, that is exactly the line i was looking for. Ive seen the books and were in a very healthy position, i know theve lost 8 weeks, but the membership money has been paid, bar staff are furloughed, pro is self employed and his staff are furloughed, green staff was 5 and down to 2 , i'll find out a bit more when im at the club over the weekend and then send off a letter, i wont be the only one writing in.
The visitors can book 7 days in advance and they have to pay in full up front at the time of booking

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only visitors are members guests only atm - see that not changing until at least the 1st June.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For golfers like me twilight rates are the only affordable way to play golf, without them I doubt I would play as much as I do during the short window for this over the summer months.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
For golfers like me twilight rates are the only affordable way to play golf, without them I doubt I would play as much as I do during the short window for this over the summer months.

How would you feel though if you were a member who had paid your fees for the year and been unable to play for two months. Play restarts and cheap deals are then offered to nomads. Surely that would pee you off?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
How would you feel though if you were a member who had paid your fees for the year and been unable to play for two months. Play restarts and cheap deals are then offered to nomads. Surely that would pee you off?

Only if I didn’t get a chance to book them first.

As a member I used to play a lot after work and had to fit in around visitors at that time but 90%+ of the members were back at home tucking into their dinner at that time.

Clubs should continue to help their members get some golf in while also considering ways to keep a good cash flow by offering twilight deals at a shorter notice. Seems a fair and balanced approach.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My previous club has been on social media stating how busy they have been for new memberships since lockdown, which is really good news. Maybe this is shown clubs the direction that they need to go in. You cut off cheap deals and access to the course for non members, more people join as they cannot have their cake and eat it by playing when they want at a decent price without any commitment. I can see similar happening with gyms and day passes.

It has often been discussed in here how clubs had shot themselves in the foot with cheap tee times on 3rd party websites and maybe this will give them the evidence that they need to reduce access to small groups and focus on just societies and members.

mister v

Visit site
My previous club has been on social media stating how busy they have been for new memberships since lockdown, which is really good news. Maybe this is shown clubs the direction that they need to go in. You cut off cheap deals and access to the course for non members, more people join as they cannot have their cake and eat it by playing when they want at a decent price without any commitment. I can see similar happening with gyms and day passes.

It has often been discussed in here how clubs had shot themselves in the foot with cheap tee times on 3rd party websites and maybe this will give them the evidence that they need to reduce access to small groups and focus on just societies and members.
This sums it up perfectly

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This sums it up perfectly

I still feel there is a place for the cheap tee times offered by the club after 4PM, I personally hunt these deals out and appreciate the clubs offerings like this.

It would be a sad day if we alienated golfers who just want to get back to playing (both members and visitors), it doesn’t help the clubs and it doesn’t help the image of golf.

DCB

Visit site
Whilst I do see Twighlight Golf being useful to both sides of the fence, a 4PM tee time is just at the start of the busy period most evenings. We'd see a fairly busy tee most evenings between 4pm and 6pm at this time of year. In mid June we could tee off until 7.30 and still get a full round in. The current situation means the members should be getting first opportunity for tee times, if there are quiet evenings by all means offer them as Twighlight Golf, but members should get first chance IMO

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whilst I do see Twighlight Golf being useful to both sides of the fence, a 4PM tee time is just at the start of the busy period most evenings. We'd see a fairly busy tee most evenings between 4pm and 6pm at this time of year. In mid June we could tee off until 7.30 and still get a full round in. The current situation means the members should be getting first opportunity for tee times, if there are quiet evenings by all means offer them as Twighlight Golf, but members should get first chance IMO

Members should always be the priority. Given some of the scenarios on here surely one way would be to simply give members a chance to book up until the morning of play and then fill the gaps with visitors. If members can't be bothered to book by then I can't see they can have any issues and it still gives visitors half a chance. I do think afternoon/early evening is a peak time for members playing after work and so would prefer to see them still get first access to the course via booking in advance