TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I'm desperate.

I've been binge-watching Taiwanese. Korean. and Japanese TV series on Netflix.
Only the subtitled ones. I won't endure dubbing.

The acting and cinematography is uniformly good, but only the Japanese writing is suitable for Western attention spans.
The other Asians drag out plot lines to an excruciating level.

But I watch them all because the ladies are smoking hot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just finished The Queens Gambit

Beautifully filmed and acted, and meticulously set in the mod-60s. Interesting/different storyline context. But ultimately we watched and then it was over - and I was left thinking that I'd enjoyed it - yes it was worth investing 7 hrs in - however...maybe the best TV doesn't need to change the way I view the world or think about things - maybe all it has to do is be enjoyable...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Ripper on Netflix. A 4 part documentary on the Yorkshire ripper taken from different angles. They interviewed senior policemen, beat officers, journalists, children of victims, victims who survived. Really interesting to see how it unfolded, the scale of the hunt and how it was viewed by these different groups at the time. Well worth a watch.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lat night I watched

Upstart Crow; Lock Down Christmas 1603

Very funny and great writing from Ben Elton

Well worth finding on catch up

For those who have never watched Upstart Crow it is the life of Shakespeare as seen from the eyes of a comedian and if you never watched the series also worth a catch up.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The Ripper on Netflix. A 4 part documentary on the Yorkshire ripper taken from different angles. They interviewed senior policemen, beat officers, journalists, children of victims, victims who survived. Really interesting to see how it unfolded, the scale of the hunt and how it was viewed by these different groups at the time. Well worth a watch.

I watched this last week - a really good series.

I know this was a 1970/80’s investigation, but even so the mistakes made by the police were mind boggling. But the culture it really highlighted was one where senior officers viewed themselves as superiors rather than supervisors, and dismissed the views and opinions of those under their command unless they fit the wider narrative. It was something which was endemic in policing at that time, and was highlighted again during the Hillsborough enquiry.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched this last week - a really good series.

I know this was a 1970/80’s investigation, but even so the mistakes made by the police were mind boggling. But the culture it really highlighted was one where senior officers viewed themselves as superiors rather than supervisors, and dismissed the views and opinions of those under their command unless they fit the wider narrative. It was something which was endemic in policing at that time, and was highlighted again during the Hillsborough enquiry.
That much information without computers o_O.

I was pleased it wasn't a total hatchet job against the police, that would have been unfair. I thought it showed the good as well as the bad which was only right. My kids, 18 and 20, did sit open mouthed at times though. The attitude of the police, and others, towards women at that time was quite something. I'll have to sit them through Life on Mars :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thieves of the Wood. Belgian series on Netflix, supposedly based on real events (although fictionalised). Sort of their version of Robin Hood. A decent watch if you like a bit of historical fiction.

Lilyhammer on Netflix. Mobster goes into witness protection and chooses to go to Norway. Early days but seems promising.

I'm really scrambling around at the moment for things to watch. The cupboard is pretty bare.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thieves of the Wood. Belgian series on Netflix, supposedly based on real events (although fictionalised). Sort of their version of Robin Hood. A decent watch if you like a bit of historical fiction.

Lilyhammer on Netflix. Mobster goes into witness protection and chooses to go to Norway. Early days but seems promising.

I'm really scrambling around at the moment for things to watch. The cupboard is pretty bare.

Six Feet Under is on sky catchup if you've not seen that.