TV Box Set Recommendations

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a big fan of watching tv drama series via a box set (whether on DVD or just off the sky planner). You can watch numerous episodes, skip adverts and don't have to wait for a week for the next episode. I've recently watched The Soprano's, The Killing, The Tunnel, Band of Brothers, Game of Thrones and Dexter among others this way and thought they were all excellent.

I'm currently working my way through the Breaking Bad box sets. Astonishing tv and perhaps the best of the lot (I'll reserve judgement until I've finished the entire series). Starting to ponder what will fill the void once I'm done. Anyone any suggestions? I've tried The Wire but gave up as I needed subtitles to understand what was being said. Bit of a shame as a few friends rave about it. Similarly gave up on Boardwalk Empire despite friends loving it as I thought it was painfully slow.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Strike back? There's 4 series and really good tv in my opinion. Aso can't beat 24 and prison break.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I gave up on Boardwalk empire for the same reason.Only managed 2 seasons of 24 & got bored. Sopranos is definitely the best iv watched so far,although I haven't watched Breaking bad yet.Entourage is excellent ,as is The Walking Dead.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my opinion, The Shield is one of the all time great box sets. If you haven't seen that, worth getting.

I also really like Dexter, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Justified.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I gave up on Boardwalk empire for the same reason.Only managed 2 seasons of 24 & got bored. Sopranos is definitely the best iv watched so far,although I haven't watched Breaking bad yet.Entourage is excellent ,as is The Walking Dead.

Entourage is great but with the episodes only been 20 mins you can burn through it in no time. I would highly recommend The Good Wife. It's a pretty underrated show.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
some good suggestions above - love working through a whole series at my own pace - often on the train. Watching Sons of Anarchy series 6 at the moment and it is awesome as were 1-5. Another vote for Strike Back - series 2-4 is a change of tack from 1 but all excellent. Prison Break also very good fun. Here are a few more top shows that range from Good to Excellent - check out reviews on IMDB to get a sense of what they are about

• The Shield
  • Suits
  • The Good Wife
  • Person of Interest
  • Justified
  • Damages
  • Entourage
  • Hawaii 5-0
  • House of Cards - original UK (1-3) and new US (series 1 - 2 out shortly)
  • House of Lies
  • Homeland
  • Leverage
  • Lie to Me
  • Life - (Damian Lewis before Homeland)
  • Men of a Certain Age
  • Ray Donovan
  • Castle
  • Revenge
  • Elementary
  • Arrow
  • Nikita
  • Rome
  • Vegas - canned after one series unfortunately
  • White Collar - filler TV - very light but decently watchable without being great
  • Cold Feet
  • An Idiot Abroad
  • Early Doors
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Love Hate - series 1-4 set in Dublin - must see
  • Luther
  • Ripper Street
  • Skins
  • Stella
  • The Hour
  • The Killing (Forbrydelsen) - gave up on American remake in episode 1
  • This is England
  • Top Boy
  • Vikings

Ones I have not seen yet but have lined up!!
  • Beaver Falls
  • Boss
  • Blue Bloods
  • Californication
  • Copper
  • Criminal Minds
  • Deadwood
  • Eastbound & Down
  • Flashpoint
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Hannibal
  • Longmire
  • Mad Men
  • Magic City
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Oz
  • Scandal
  • Six Feet Under
  • Southland
  • Spartacus
  • The Americans
  • The Blacklist
  • The Borgias
  • The Bridge
  • The Closer
  • The Following
  • The Glades
  • The Newsroom
  • The Tunnel
  • The Unit
  • The Wire

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Entourage is great but with the episodes only been 20 mins you can burn through it in no time. I would highly recommend The Good Wife. It's a pretty underrated show.

Yeah I got through it pretty quick,loved it. Ari Gold is a Legend.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some great suggestions up to now. I've seen Prison Break and The Shield. Both decent. Sons of Anarchy and Strikeback seem popular so might be worth a go. Also seen The Following. A bit disappointed they are doing a 2nd series as thought it was nicely tied up and already getting a bit far fetched. Will still watch like!

Never really considered The Walking Dead as not really into zombies etc. However, might give it a blast as a lot of people seem to like it. I've not heard of Justified.

Heard a lot of decent things about Lilyhammer and Orange is the New Black. Anyone seen these? Are they any good?