TV Box Set Recommendations

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Some great suggestions up to now. I've seen Prison Break and The Shield. Both decent. Sons of Anarchy and Strikeback seem popular so might be worth a go. Also seen The Following. A bit disappointed they are doing a 2nd series as thought it was nicely tied up and already getting a bit far fetched. Will still watch like!

Never really considered The Walking Dead as not really into zombies etc. However, might give it a blast as a lot of people seem to like it. I've not heard of Justified.

Heard a lot of decent things about Lilyhammer and Orange is the New Black. Anyone seen these? Are they any good?

I'm not really into zombies either but really enjoyed Walking dead. Definitely worth a watch.

Sharktooth

Head Pro
Chiang Mai, Thailand and anywhere there is H2O
Visit site
some good suggestions above - love working through a whole series at my own pace - often on the train. Watching Sons of Anarchy series 6 at the moment and it is awesome as were 1-5. Another vote for Strike Back - series 2-4 is a change of tack from 1 but all excellent. Prison Break also very good fun. Here are a few more top shows that range from Good to Excellent - check out reviews on IMDB to get a sense of what they are about

• The Shield
  • Suits
  • The Good Wife
  • Person of Interest
  • Justified
  • Damages
  • Entourage
  • Hawaii 5-0
  • House of Cards - original UK (1-3) and new US (series 1 - 2 out shortly)
  • House of Lies
  • Homeland
  • Leverage
  • Lie to Me
  • Life - (Damian Lewis before Homeland)
  • Men of a Certain Age
  • Ray Donovan
  • Castle
  • Revenge
  • Elementary
  • Arrow
  • Nikita
  • Rome
  • Vegas - canned after one series unfortunately
  • White Collar - filler TV - very light but decently watchable without being great
  • Cold Feet
  • An Idiot Abroad
  • Early Doors
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Love Hate - series 1-4 set in Dublin - must see
  • Luther
  • Ripper Street
  • Skins
  • Stella
  • The Hour
  • The Killing (Forbrydelsen) - gave up on American remake in episode 1
  • This is England
  • Top Boy
  • Vikings

Ones I have not seen yet but have lined up!!
  • Beaver Falls
  • Boss
  • Blue Bloods
  • Californication
  • Copper
  • Criminal Minds
  • Deadwood
  • Eastbound & Down
  • Flashpoint
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Hannibal
  • Longmire
  • Mad Men
  • Magic City
  • Orange is the New Black
  • Oz
  • Scandal
  • Six Feet Under
  • Southland
  • Spartacus
  • The Americans
  • The Blacklist
  • The Borgias
  • The Bridge
  • The Closer
  • The Following
  • The Glades
  • The Newsroom
  • The Tunnel
  • The Unit
  • The Wire

Flippin eck. When do you get time to play golf?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of The Killings - original versions, The Bridge - new season starts tonight, Borgen, The Girl with Dragon Tattoo - original plus lots of the others mentioned.

G

guest100718

Father ted
family guy
modern family
big bang theory
black books
how i met you mother
black adder
IT crowd
Mighty boosh

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Quite a random ending. Bit disappointed with it. Loved the rest of the series.

I googled it & found this:
I have to admit I didn't get the ending straight away. As the symbolic nature of it was out of sync with the rest of the show. However there were subtle clues all the way through that the end was near. Such as The Road to Nowhere posters & that hobbit of death creature chasing them. I'm pretty certain they're dead & that in reality they were shot & buried on the beach. I don't think Mason Verger would go through all that effort (including killing several innocent bystanders in the process) just to let the people he was actually after go. As the hoods were put on it was Baxter's life flashing before his eyes and all their idiotic actions that had brought them to this sorry end. When he looked across & saw himself under the tony Blair mask it was him realising that he had caused his own death. The moment the car fell off the freeway was the moment they were shot. And the unfinished highway was a metaphor for them coming to the end of the road & having nowhere left to run. By showing them dying in the car together it also showed how they were all in it together & there for each other right up until the end.

It went over my head tbh:confused:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This

61YcehjiUBL._AA160_.jpg

Family Guy seasons 1 - 12 .............. astonishingly funny.
And when you've finished you either watch them all again or send them to me!

Slime.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I never watch series as I know I'll miss a few. I also know if I sky plus it, I'll never get round to watching it.

So.

Why, when you buy a boxed set, do you not get the opportunity to watch it like a film, end to end, no credits, previews, flash backs, etc. 24 could be reduced to 6 hours of great telly. Etc.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I googled it & found this:
I have to admit I didn't get the ending straight away. As the symbolic nature of it was out of sync with the rest of the show. However there were subtle clues all the way through that the end was near. Such as The Road to Nowhere posters & that hobbit of death creature chasing them. I'm pretty certain they're dead & that in reality they were shot & buried on the beach. I don't think Mason Verger would go through all that effort (including killing several innocent bystanders in the process) just to let the people he was actually after go. As the hoods were put on it was Baxter's life flashing before his eyes and all their idiotic actions that had brought them to this sorry end. When he looked across & saw himself under the tony Blair mask it was him realising that he had caused his own death. The moment the car fell off the freeway was the moment they were shot. And the unfinished highway was a metaphor for them coming to the end of the road & having nowhere left to run. By showing them dying in the car together it also showed how they were all in it together & there for each other right up until the end.

It went over my head tbh:confused:

I read that twice and still don't really get it but all round I really enjoyed all the series.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Spartacus- exceptional tv

Banshee- tick

Orange is the new Black- tick

Modern Family- excellent writing and we all know similar people.

Strike back- season 3-4 excellent, season 1-2 was like that tame ITV drama 'soldiers'

Walking Dead, great idea and storyline, totally ruined by OTT scenes of zombie body parts for he sake of it.

Another vote for 'When the boat comes in' old telly but a real goody, might look really dated now though.

I also gave up on Boardwalk Empire, been done better by many others previously.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
1st one was excellent, they pretty much then ran out of ideas and rehashed a lot, especially in the finale, ending was as weak as it comes for me, almost as if the writer finally admitted he was out of ideas, shame really because an excellent cast

Yeah we said it should have been left as 1 series really,as it was excellent. After that it was just watchable really.