TV licence.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I lived in a flat and didn't own a TV. I was given a video recorder, which will tell you how long ago it was as it was before DVD players, when a relative bought themselves a new one. The flat was an open plan kitchen/dining room/living room and the video recorder got left on the end of the kitchen work top and ended up with the microwave on top of it. The TV licensing people used to come round and as I had nothing to hide I'd let them in and offer them a cup of tea. One guy got really interested thinking he'd caught me out when he saw the "TV" on top of the video recorder until I opened the door to show him it was the microwave.

You don't have to let them in.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
In France they charge you €139/year for a television license and it's an add-on to the annual Taxe D'Habitation, or residence tax.
I haven't heard of any way to avoid paying it.
It funds the five public channels, France 2, 3, 4 and 5, and Arte. €11.58/month isn't too bad.
It gets me Doctor Who on France 4, both broadcast and catch-up so I've got that going for me.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
The BBC swept sexual abuse under the carpet for decades and faced no punishment. It now bullies OAP's into paying the ridiculous fees, pays way over the odds for average presenters and produces a load of absolute crap. It's a dinosaur that needs putting to bed. Great in it's day but like everything else the world has moved on. I've not paid it for years and haven't had a visit. No legal rights to enter your house and if you stream it's easy to hide it.

Imagine being forced to pay £150 a year for road tax if you didn't have a car. No one will miss it when it goes over the next decade.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The BBC swept sexual abuse under the carpet for decades and faced no punishment. It now bullies OAP's into paying the ridiculous fees, pays way over the odds for average presenters and produces a load of absolute crap. It's a dinosaur that needs putting to bed. Great in it's day but like everything else the world has moved on. I've not paid it for years and haven't had a visit. No legal rights to enter your house and if you stream it's easy to hide it.

Imagine being forced to pay £150 a year for road tax if you didn't have a car. No one will miss it when it goes over the next decade.

Was almost with you until that last bit

If you don't have a telly you don't need a licence

If you don't have a car you don't pay tax

Think of it as car insurance

Nobody wants to pay it but if you have a car you have to have it

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interesting,. If you havent paid the licence for years, then i presume you've not watched BBC for years. So how do you know its a load if crap?

Frankly, I simply don't believe anyone who has a TV but says they dont ever watch any live tv. But, as long as they are happy in the knowledge that they are just cheating the system, then it's their conscience not mine.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

The BBC may handle the enforcement, but it’s the law that they MUST collect the fee. They can’t choose not to or they’re in breach of the law. Turn your ire to the government and law makers, not the Beeb.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Even the covid broadcast?
In all honesty, if me and the Mrs were both back to work normally, the TV would hardly ever get put on, if at all.
And if we didn't have it we wouldn't miss it.
I'm only watching the cricket on 4 at the moment because I'm off work.
Don't use BBC websites or radio or any other services either.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In all honesty, if me and the Mrs were both back to work normally, the TV would hardly ever get put on, if at all.
bet the tv you hardly or wouldn’t use cost a lot more than the bbc you don’t use...?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I never used to really like what the BBC offered but since having kids

Cbeebies is a go to channel. No adverts either so no asking for things

iPlayer for the kids shows

That or kids YouTube are the go to ATM

Already today watched

One in the night garden
2 Peter rabbits
And a wonda and the Alien

Can't wait until half 8 when she goes nursery and we can get some adult TV on

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I never used to really like what the BBC offered but since having kids

Cbeebies is a go to channel. No adverts either so no asking for things

iPlayer for the kids shows

That or kids YouTube are the go to ATM

Already today watched

One in the night garden
2 Peter rabbits
And a wonda and the Alien

Can't wait until half 8 when she goes nursery and we can get some adult TV on
Been there, done that...he turns 20 in 3 months:eek:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now that you reminded me I think I did watch the first one for about 20 minutes, since then I don’t think I have watched any live.

It’s not part of my daily routine to sit in front of the TV and watch broadcast television.

For us as adults the same

We don't much live

Until the weekend then it's football and golf