Biggest Baloney on a Course Website! Can you top this?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Saw this today on a website and laughed so hard I cracked a rib!

"With a choice of two great courses and a well-stocked pro shop, XXXXXXXX, Golf &Leisure Resort has established itself as a world-class golfing venue, ideal for players of all standards."

"Designed by TV golfing star Peter Alliss in 1991, our 18-hole XXXXXX course make XXXXXXX, Golf & Spa one of the most renowned golf venues in the UK."

World Class? "Most renowned golf venues in the UK?".............. hell's bells, it isn't in the top 25 in its own county...assuming that county has that many courses! :)

I can't believe they have the nerve to put this on their site. Its a bog for 5 months of the year and not up to much for the rest!

Can you guess where it is? Can you top it for "poetic licence?" ...maybe Peter Alliss is a clue!

D

Deleted member 15344

?

Guess it helped that it was somewhere we were looking to book a trip recently ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Peter Alliss helped redesign my old course - it was initially laid out by Old Tom, then amended by Dr Mackenzie. Wish I had a time machine to see what it looked like back in those early days - there's very little in the way of evidence dating back that far.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The obsession some clubs have about eulogising on their website about their ‘MacKenzie’ greens…for goodness sake…it’s a green with a distinct step…we have four such greens and we never refer to them as ‘MacKenzie‘ greens. They are just greens with a distinct step up.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I often think some of these club descriptions on websites are the result of drunken late night committee discussions. How else do you explain a distinctly run of the mill destination being described by the committee/proprietor as “world class”? It’s so embarrassing it has to be tongue in cheek, surely.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The obsession some clubs have about eulogising on their website about their ‘MacKenzie’ greens…for goodness sake…it’s a green with a distinct step…we have four such greens and we never refer to them as ‘MacKenzie‘ greens. They are just greens with a distinct step up.
Yeah I just call them two-tier greens. I think it's rarer to play a course without one than with one. There are three at my course.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My last club in England before I moved home had one such green and the term was commonly used, I'd never heard if before then

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I always chuckle at the often used phrase 'Championship Course '. Absolutely meaningless, self appointed attempt at impressing. I used to be a member at such a club, it really wasn't though ?

We've got a 'Championship Course' at our place - although in fairness it did host the Yorkshire PGA Championship for 12 years. We've also got a 'Pine Valley' that bears absolutely no resemblance to it's more illustrious US namesake.

:ROFLMAO:

Mandofred

Visit site
Yeah I just call them two-tier greens. I think it's rarer to play a course without one than with one. There are three at my course.
I'm at a Mackenzie course, only 2 greens that are two-tier......although most greens have plenty of slope on them. Coming from one of my old courses that had too many flat greens, much prefer greens with plenty of bend on them.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
There's some place in Surrey that goes on about having a hole that is their answer to the 17th at Sawgrass but it's supposed to be total dog :poop:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I recall the Wiltshire being built and going bust pretty soon after.
A few old golfing friends of mine lost a lot of money when they started selling life memberships to prop up the sinking ship.
Absolutely dreadful site to build a golf course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I recall the Wiltshire being built and going bust pretty soon after.
A few old golfing friends of mine lost a lot of money when they started selling life memberships to prop up the sinking ship.
Absolutely dreadful site to build a golf course.

Originally opened as "Wotton Bassett GC, it was part of the infamous "Compton Holdings" Group... (google it) and it never actually closed, just got bought by a series of new owners who would never overcome the boggy site and greens built much smaller (to save money) than the Alliss/Clark design envisaged. Latterly the hotel and new 9 was built. I knew lots of members there, most of which left eventually. If you get a cheap break there in summer, who might have fun, but it's a really poor course and the description on the website is ridiculous :)

Don't recall "life memberships" being offered, pretty sure that was Castle Combe (Now The Manor House) another Compton Course. Had a substantial joining fee when it opened in early 90s, not many takers.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Originally opened as "Wotton Bassett GC, it was part of the infamous "Compton Holdings" Group... (google it) and it never actually closed, just got bought by a series of new owners who would never overcome the boggy site and greens built much smaller (to save money) than the Alliss/Clark design envisaged. Latterly the hotel and new 9 was built. I knew lots of members there, most of which left eventually. If you get a cheap break there in summer, who might have fun, but it's a really poor course and the description on the website is ridiculous :)

Don't recall "life memberships" being offered, pretty sure that was Castle Combe (Now The Manor House) another Compton Course. Had a substantial joining fee when it opened in early 90s, not many takers.
The additional holes are really poor and bear no relation to the original design, which was perhaps too difficult for most golfers with tiny greens and very tight in places. I think Eddie Shah of newspaper fame/infamy bought it at one stage.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
He did... I think he made a decent job if it. I used to live in the adjacent village and drove past it on the way to Bowood. I hear the "new holes" are dreadful but were necessary to incorporate the 9 hole.

Maybe the label "one of the most renowned courses in the UK" refers to it being renowned as being awful. So I was being unfair in the OP