Biggest Baloney on a Course Website! Can you top this?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Course near me calls itself The Augusta Of The North :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if you're referring to the late Letham Grange GC or not as that certainly was known as "The Augusta of the North" before it's closure.

It was an absolute tragedy that that course was allowed to become defunct as it was sensationally good. Ownership disputes, court cases, hotel going bust all just took it's toll in the end but what a layout, challenge and place. 7,8,9,10 were sensation holes, tree lines, ponds, burns etc. Brilliant place.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know about now, but Westerham Golf Club used to major on their "signature" 11th hole having been carved out of the woods by the eye of the (1987) storm. I was always led to believe that the eye was the calmest part of a storm. :unsure:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What always make me laugh on course’s websites is when they have the Pro’s tips on the course guide. They are usually full of great tips such as “Long and straight off the tee is good” or “Avoid the hazard/bunkers/out of bounds”. You can see why they made it to Pro level :rolleyes:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've just found another gem. Sharpley Golf near Seaham is apparently "North East England's Leading Golf Course". Which makes it better than Rockcliffe, Close Houses, Slaley Hall, Brancepeth Castle and a host of others.

It's ok, but I always think of it as the cheap option around here when everything else is closed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the front page of Oake Manor GC website it states "Welcome to Somerset's Premier Golf Club" - they obviously have forgotten that Burnham and Berrow is a few miles down the road in the same county.
? ah…but they say ‘Club’ and not ‘Course’…??

But to be honest don’t all clubs highlight what they think makes their club/course worth playing…and so my own place…all true of course…?

’With an exciting layout over sandy geology, stunning woodlands and a smooth blend of acid grasslands and heather, a true Surrey classic’

D-S

Visit site
? ah…but they say ‘Club’ and not ‘Course’…??

But to be honest don’t all clubs highlight what they think makes their club/course worth playing…and so my own place…all true of course…?

’With an exciting layout over sandy geology, stunning woodlands and a smooth blend of acid grasslands and heather, a true Surrey classic’
I always insist on playing on ‘acid grasslands’.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just found another gem. Sharpley Golf near Seaham is apparently "North East England's Leading Golf Course". Which makes it better than Rockcliffe, Close Houses, Slaley Hall, Brancepeth Castle and a host of others.

It's ok, but I always think of it as the cheap option around here when everything else is closed.
Sadly, the system doesn't allow a double like ?. That's a funny one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure if you're referring to the late Letham Grange GC or not as that certainly was known as "The Augusta of the North" before it's closure.

It was an absolute tragedy that that course was allowed to become defunct as it was sensationally good. Ownership disputes, court cases, hotel going bust all just took it's toll in the end but what a layout, challenge and place. 7,8,9,10 were sensation holes, tree lines, ponds, burns etc. Brilliant place.
It was indeed. Me and a mate played it not long after it opened. Some holes that were built on farm land were still featureless, but there were some special holes in the trees and more undulating part of the course (holes 7-10 you mention I assume) and the clubhouse (the orangery especially) was very grand. Was very disappointed when I read some time ago that it had gone bust as I was looking to play it again to see how it had matured.

But as for Augusta of the North…my first club (East Renfrewshire) was often described as ‘the Gleneagles of the South’ or description to that effect…it was and still is a very fine and spectacular track (though IMO they shouldn’t have planted all the trees in the late 1970s that they did).

Last edited: