What a great article on the 2014 Ryder Cup venue...

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I totally agree,the course is a shitheap when you compare it to where they could have taken it to in Scotland and money has ruled yet again. I have played the course and can honestly say that only maybe 2 or 3 holes are memorable and that last hole must be one of the most bland 18th in world golf!

Gleneagles' Ryder Cup course is traditonally

a mud bath for Johnnie Walker Championship

FROM THE IRISH TIMES.COM WEBSITE
CADDIE'S ROLE: Integrity and a sense of history seems to take a back seat when a Ryder Cup venue is selected, writes COLIN BYRNE
We were at the austere Gleneagles hotel in Perthshire for the Johnnie Walker Championship last week. The hotel is a grey, imposing-looking structure perched high above the many golf courses set below it. It is in keeping with the drab weather that seems to greet us every time we go there to play golf. Unfortunately the course that we trudged around last week for four rounds of competition would do nothing to lift the gloom.
There are two other established 18-hole tracks on the Gleneagles complex and although they are not spectacular courses they are interesting and in keeping with their environment.
The King’s course, with its springy moorland turf, has been testing the golfing aristocracy since 1919. Both the King’s and Queen’s courses look like the type of lay-outs you would expect to see on the rolling land of Perthshire.
It was decided to build their third 18 holes on the vast 850-acre estate in the early 1990s and like so many quality resorts and aspiring wannabies, the management opted for American designers to create their masterpieces and lure the world to come, stay and play the unique challenge of their celebrity designer.
Arnold Palmer got the gig at The K Club in Kildare on a nice piece of farming land and put Michael Smurfit on the world golfing stage. Robert Trent Jones Junior got the call up from Terry Mathews, the Welsh IT wizard who took a late shine in life to the advantages of the game of golf. The much respected and record-holding major winner Jack Nicklaus got the invitation to design the PGA Centenary Course at Gleneagles, which was selected to host the Ryder Cup in 2014.
There seems to be a trend that has developed in the past decade concerning the European Ryder Cup hosts; influential businessman, limited knowledge about course design, recognises the game as a great commercial vehicle and wants to fulfil a dream of hosting the most accessible match in professional golf to the masses in his backyard.
Backyards are very much what these American creations in the British Isles are. What looks good in the swamplands of Florida or the corn fields of Illinois probably would not look quite so appealing in Perthshire. Much like a links course in Georgia would probably look slightly misplaced. Apart from the general collapse of course development due to economic reasons it may well be time for potential golf developers to reflect on future builds.
I was always miffed about how American guests would flock to Ireland's shores to embrace the challenge of our type of golf and end up traipsing around a converted farm adorned with bright flowers and pretty grass patterns on finely-trimmed fairways. An experience that could be had back in the US.
It must be a similar experience for overseas visitors to Scotland, the home of golf, dealing with the reality of playing a totally misplaced golf course where the only true experience of something different is the foul weather.
I can understand the Ryder Cup Committee struggling to find a suitable location to host their jamboree if the host country was the Czech Republic or Denmark. But the choice of unique, renowned, classic and world-class golf courses on which to stage such a prestigious event is endless in Scotland.
Perhaps Wales did not have such a wide choice of alternatives but Ireland certainly did.
For Scotland to choose the Centenary Course at Gleneagles as the arena for the ultimate professional match-play show-piece speaks volumes for the event itself; integrity and sense of history take a back seat, this is the nouveau golf show open to the highest bidder.
The successful Ryder Cup at The K Club was a sodden affair. Even when we have a dry spell The K Club is moist.
The Wales Open at Celtic Manor is a murky swamp at best and that’s held in the summer-time. The Johnnie Walker at Gleneagles, played in August, is traditionally a mud bath.
The 12th hole has been redesigned in order to bring the par back to a standard 72. The new hole was unplayable for three rounds last week as it was feared that you might loose a ball in the fairway of the newly-designed par four.
Gleneagles is truly a beautiful place. I would highly recommend a visit to the fantastic equestrian centre, the shooting school, the fishing school, the school of falconry, the spa’s and other sporting facilities at the elegant resort. The wee course and the pitch and putt course are unique and a great attribute to the complex to include the family in your golfing.
The King’s and Queen’s courses are exactly what you would expect to find in Scotland. Just beware if you come to play the ill-fitting Centenary Course which should revert back to the muddy terrain it is built on.
For the good of the suave and sophisticated Gleneagles complex and the integrity of the game and its historic links to Scotland, I hope 2014 marks the end of the modern era of the Ryder Cup location policy in Europe and integrity takes precedence once again over money.
***This article appears in the print edition of the Irish Times.

T

thecraw

I 100% agree with that article in every sense. The PGA at Gleneagles is a very poor track and I would like to know how much money changed hands to take the Ryder cup to Wales? Having played Cletic Manor two years ago in May time I was very unimpressed with its condition.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
The weather here over the past month has been diabollical. The rain has never stopped and so there is no surprise that Gleneagles is a mudbath. I agree that the PGA Centenary is not the most exciting course at Gleneagles but the King's and Queen's are not long enough. Gleneagles offers the complete package as far as the Ryder cup is concerned (As does Celtic Manor), but it is unfortunate that it is an "American style" course and will therefore play into the hands of team USA.

B

birdieman

Interesting article and all too true.

Why not just go to Turnberry or Carnoustie? Pair of the best courses in the UK and a good test for the Pros as seen in recent Opens. Can handle all the crowds etc too.

Gleneagles in September will play into Europes hands, US style course or not. The Yanks cant handle cold wet weather as seen at K-Club in 2006.

I might have even gone along but I expect they'll want £100 to get in - fat chance!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
As in the modern era money talks , we could sit here and rattle of courses in Scotland where it could be held.I have never played it but people i know who have said its rank rotten these are guys who have played all over the place so there comments are one's to take heed of.
The 12th hole played short all week why change it for one round it does make much sense its built on farm land so at this time of year with the rain we've had up here it's bound to be a bog.
IMHO not a great choice for 2014 should have had it at Carnoustie

kevinmarkham

Assistant Pro
theirishgolfblog.com
Gleneagles in September will play into Europes hands, US style course or not. The Yanks cant handle cold wet weather as seen at K-Club in 2006.

I was at the Ryder Cup at the K Club and it wasn't cold, just unbelievably wet. It made a bit of a mockery of the event when you have three days of golfers placing balls on the fairway - but as Byrne points out, the course is almost always wet.

The general public all want to see the event hosted at a 'real' Irish/Welsh/English/Scottish course, but when have the big boys in the golf world listened to us. It can't be easy hearing us when big businessmen are slapping millions of quid around their heads. I doubt very much if Gleneagles will be the last of them - somewhere in Europe next, I heard.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Ryder cup like the Solheim is an orgy of the jingoistic, bad mannered, worst of golf -it sounds like its getting the venue it deserves. :(

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've heard Sweden is being muted to be the next european venue ,they should take it to Barsabeck GC thats an absolute monster and the wind blows all the time what a challenge that would be.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Playing the RC on a links course sounds like playing into the hands of the yanks. How many Opens have Europeans won in the last 10 years compared to them?

The RC is a spectacle. Its not a proper event as such. So it doesn't really matter where they play it as long as its good enough for spectators.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Belfry is a terrible course. The K Club is a nice enough course. If it was in Florida. The Twenty Ten looks decidedly uninspiring. Compared with those, the PGA at Gleneagles is not too bad.

But I agree that it is a travesty that some of the great courses are never used. As well as the links courses, what about the sandbelt courses of Sunningdale, Walton Heath, The Berkshire etc.

Course, money talks, so I guess we can look forward to a bunch more similar courses.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I guess what they are looking for now is a stadium style course, where you can get spectators all around the hole, ideally elevated for a good view. Also a requirement seems to be a big onsite hotel, so that all the golfers, families, hangers on, and most importantly sponsors can all be local to the course.
Most decent old courses don't provide the necessary, either in terms of being miles from civilisation, or not an on site hotel.

My guess is that the course is of secondary importance, and the layout / style of the course has to be neutral to both teams, with only the positioning of the rough down to the home team.
The players will also all want USGA greens, as that is what they putt on all year. (Witness Wentworth having to dig theirs up).

I disagree that the Brabazon is a poor track. Not the best, but certainly not poor.

The Ryder cup is a circus, not a golf event. It doesn't need a great course.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was always miffed about how American guests would flock to Ireland's shores to embrace the challenge of our type of golf and end up traipsing around a converted farm adorned with bright flowers and pretty grass patterns on finely-trimmed fairways. An experience that could be had back in the US.

I remember reviewing a book on Irish Golf Courses, written by an American for Americans. He entirely agreed with this sentiment. As a self-confessed lover of Irish links, he said 'there is no sense in coming to Europe to play parkland. We (the US) do parkland very well, we cannot do links'

as to the Ryder Cup, there will be no gallery soon, priced out of existence, or consigned to the back of beyond.