TV licence.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have to pay National Insurance even if I were to never choose, or have, to use the NHS. But I pay my NI insurance because I know that the NHS is there for the wider good - and whilst today I might never choose to use it, and I am happy to pay for Private Health cover - I do not know what is round the corner of life - and one day I might find that I might have to use it - despite everything I might think today.

It's all very well having a moan about paying a licence fee for the BBC because I never use it...but for many it is all they can afford - and one day a free-to-view/listen service based upon an relatively very low cover-all charge might be the only thing that I can afford. I would need it to be there - at that relatively inexpensive cover-all cost to me.

...who stokes the opposition to the BBC - yes - the usual suspects.

Rubbish. People can watch the ITV channels for nothing if they choose to not have Sky and other subscription channels, and if they chose not to watch BBC, and thus didn't have to pay the licence fee, as a I suggest.

Your way they have to pay 150 to watch TV. My way they pay nothing.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Thing is the licence SHOULD be scrapped and the bbc can then get ads. We can all record the programs and watch them when we want to watch them and skip the ads. Sorted.
If that happened a new TV tax would be introduced. You’d then whinge about that.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Rubbish. People can watch the ITV channels for nothing if they choose to not have Sky and other subscription channels, and if they chose not to watch BBC, and thus didn't have to pay the licence fee, as a I suggest.

Your way they have to pay 150 to watch TV. My way they pay nothing.
You need a TV licence to watch ITV live.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Those who don't like the TV licence and want it scrapped know who to go to, and what to do if that doesn't happen. To say more than that would risk me falling the wrong side of the 'pence' and so despite what I might actually feel and wish to say about the matter - I won't. Meanwhile we all pay the TV licence.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What's the succession plan to ending the licence fee? What happens to the Beeb? What happens to the pensioners and the poorer end of society if there's no more terrestrial TV and the options are BT/Sky TV? How does the govt fund ending the licence fee/sell off the Beeb?

If the licence fee is ended would you accept a £14 a month hike on your income tax? I doubt the govt would make it a flat £14. Those at the poorest end might find they're on free TV but I'd expect that the majority would end up paying more than £14.

Saying I'm not paying, and not paying now might work for some but if you're not paying now, you will be when its added to income tax,

What's the answer?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to pay National Insurance even if I were to never choose, or have, to use the NHS. But I pay my NI insurance because I know that the NHS is there for the wider good - and whilst today I might never choose to use it, and I am happy to pay for Private Health cover - I do not know what is round the corner of life - and one day I might find that I might have to use it - despite everything I might think today.

It's all very well having a moan about paying a licence fee for the BBC because I never use it...but for many it is all they can afford - and one day a free-to-view/listen service based upon an relatively very low cover-all charge might be the only thing that I can afford. I would need it to be there - at that relatively inexpensive cover-all cost to me.

...who stokes the opposition to the BBC - yes - the usual suspects.
After a certain age you wont have to pay National Insurance, but the TV licence now has no upper age limit.(y)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't mind paying the license fee (twice) but think the BBC needs an over haul. It's not just presenters fees, it is over staffed at management levels, there is not enough accountability on what is spent, or produced, there have been way too many cover ups. Pensions are not sustainable, and are crazy out of line with private pensions too.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't mind paying the license fee (twice) but think the BBC needs an over haul. It's not just presenters fees, it is over staffed at management levels, there is not enough accountability on what is spent, or produced, there have been way too many cover ups. Pensions are not sustainable, and are crazy out of line with private pensions too.

I think you should only need one licence per family unit ie you and your wife (plus kids until they leave home)

Rather than per house you own that's just silly .. you can use your licence to watch iPlayer on the go but not at Ur second home?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You need a TV licence to watch ITV live.

I know that. You've not been paying attention. Read my post completely. I am advocating no tv licence.
Just take it away. Let the BBC fund differently. Ads ( like ITV )or subscription.
Then people could choose to watch only ItV, so for them , TV would be free, no?
My reply was to SILH saying BBC was for many all they can afford(sic).
Whereas, the many he refers to would not pay anything if it were done in the way I advocate.
You are right in that now , anyone who watches itv ( only or otherwise) has to pay the BBC ( whether via the government or not)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I know that. You've not been paying attention. Read my post completely. I am advocating no tv licence.
Just take it away. Let the BBC fund differently. Ads ( like ITV )or subscription.
Then people could choose to watch only ItV, so for them , TV would be free, no?
My reply was to SILH saying BBC was for many all they can afford(sic).
Whereas, the many he refers to would not pay anything if it were done in the way I advocate.
You are right in that now , anyone who watches itv ( only or otherwise) has to pay the BBC ( whether via the government or not)
As I said above, if the licence fee was removed the government would likely introduce another form of taxation on TV.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As I said above, if the licence fee was removed the government would likely introduce another form of taxation on TV.
Why? If it is subscription only then it has to cut its cloth accordingly. It would mean jobs slashed, channels reduced but as most see it as bloated then why not? Make products that people want to see and people will subscribe.

Where I do feel they are hamstrung right now is that they have to meet a charter, not just make programs people want to watch. Many of the educational shows would end unless the govt subsidised them,.........................which would be paid via taxation o_O

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

The same could be said for the majority of pensions provided in the public sector... And, most probably all the other shortcomings... Over staffed, over salaried, no accountability and indulgence in cover ups seem to be the norm in the public sector...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The same could be said for the majority of pensions provided in the public sector... And, most probably all the other shortcomings... Over staffed, over salaried, no accountability and indulgence in cover ups seem to be the norm in the public sector...
Presumably said by someone who's not worked in the public sector?