TV license

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
The reason the BBC stands out is because, sadly, the ones caught are household names.

Other big establishments get less criticism because on the whole they are less known to us, the Catholic Church being one example that gets less attention.
I completely agree but Voyagers point seemed to be that criticism of them was unfounded… nay pointless. Seemed a strange view is all.
Why is it worth pointing out the BBC as a special case in amongst those many thousands?
I say that it is unfounded and pointless to attempt to do so.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
TV Licence.

The Huw Edwards story has not greatly disturbed me with regard to my TV licence fee. It has disturbed me, but not for this reason.

There are so many more instances, in recent years, of the misuse of public money on far greater scales for me to be concerned with.
But unlike the BBC, not all those other organisations position themselves as the upholder of integrity, fairness and high moral standards!!!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
But unlike the BBC, not all those other organisations position themselves as the upholder of integrity, fairness and high moral standards!!!
Probably most big organisations will have an ethical charter of some sort. The main issue is probably employees don't volunteer the information that they're a bit dodgy during the interview process.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Shouldn't every organisation do this?

Difficult to imagine putting into words how far short of this a company's ethos would be.

"We are just in it for the money and don't give a monkey's about much else." - going a bit far maybe. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

4LEX

Visit site
During my 12 years working in a prison I came across well over 100 prisoners in the isolation-for-their-own-protection unit.
Very diverse in terms of social upbringing, age, occupation, wealth and income.

That is an awful lot of employers that were "linked" to crimes of this nature.
And that is just one prison in a country of many such prisons.

There must be thousands of employers that are linked to sex offending in the way described above.
And I doubt they are any different from the employers who are not linked to sex offending.
I just don't see the "link" at all.

Crimes of this nature can crop up anywhere. Completely irrespective of employment.
Shops, offices, law enforcement, football clubs, education, clergy - just about anything.
BBC are not a special case in this regard.

I agree with a fair bit of that but the BBC is a special case. It's a corporation that's funded by the public. They should be held to higher standards.

4LEX

Visit site
Shouldn't every organisation do this?

Difficult to imagine putting into words how far short of this a company's ethos would be.

"We are just in it for the money and don't give a monkey's about much else." - going a bit far maybe. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Other organisations don't demand £150 odd a year in a stealth tax, then take some of the poorest in society to court via bullying and intimidation.

Picture this if you will. I don't know if you're a drinker but you seem a clued up chap, so will get the gist. Imagine if you stopped drinking and didn't visit for your local for three months, only for the landlord to send you a threatening letter asking why you haven't been in. He sends another one claiming to have a beer detection van that's capable of 'detecting' if you've been drinking in your house. He then turns up on your doorstep demanding to be let in to check if you've got any beer in the fridge. If you have, he's then able to take you to court and you're legally obliged to pay a fine to him :ROFLMAO:

That is what the BBC do on a daily basis and have gotten away with it for decades. Anyone that behaves like that and claims to act in 'integrity, fairness and high moral standards' needs to give their head a wobble, and so do anyone that defends them.

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
Other organisations don't demand £150 odd a year in a stealth tax, then take some of the poorest in society to court via bullying and intimidation.

Picture this if you will. I don't know if you're a drinker but you seem a clued up chap, so will get the gist. Imagine if you stopped drinking and didn't visit for your local for three months, only for the landlord to send you a threatening letter asking why you haven't been in. He sends another one claiming to have a beer detection van that's capable of 'detecting' if you've been drinking in your house. He then turns up on your doorstep demanding to be let in to check if you've got any beer in the fridge. If you have, he's then able to take you to court and you're legally obliged to pay a fine to him :ROFLMAO:

That is what the BBC do on a daily basis and have gotten away with it for decades. Anyone that behaves like that and claims to act in 'integrity, fairness and high moral standards' needs to give their head a wobble, and so do anyone that defends them.
Yes they do: bit in bold, Gas & Electric standing charges and it’s way over £169.50 a year.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What exactly is hidden about needing to have a TV license?

4LEX

Visit site
I would welcome your critique of all of those companies. Stealth taxes galore in that area.

And then go on to the ridiculous over-pricing of golf equipment.

I'm actually involved in a campaign against Thames Water over their dumping of sewage in the river. That company is beyond the pale. I'm going to stop ranting as I must come across as a Victor Meldew type and that really isn't me :ROFLMAO:

I did laugh when I saw the new Titleist driver was £750 with a decent shaft! I remember 12 years ago they were £250.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm actually involved in a campaign against Thames Water over their dumping of sewage in the river. That company is beyond the pale. I'm going to stop ranting as I must come across as a Victor Meldew type and that really isn't me :ROFLMAO:

I did laugh when I saw the new Titleist driver was £750 with a decent shaft! I remember 12 years ago they were £250.

I’ve never understood how companies can take out massive loans to pay share dividends. If the company isn’t making a profit = no dividends. But if it doesn’t pay its shareholders their dividend, the share price drops.

It’s a house of cards with artificially high company values. If Thames Water is renationalised to stop it going under, and to protect the stock exchange, it’ll be at an inflated price back to the shareholders. Fat cat directors need jailing for the level of mismanagement.