TV Licence required

IanMcC

Visit site
Why should I need another tv license in my second home? With one license I can watch iplayer anywhere in the UK, unless I am in my flat, when I need another tv license.
I don't mind paying once, but twice is taking the p.

Some would say if you can afford a second home then you can afford a second TV license.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need one if you have a radio in your car

I always remember us getting stopped by the police in the early morning once in 1969 and the look of amazement on his face and his comment ( something along the lines of it being the first one he had ever seen) when my mate produced his car radio licence.

It is however no longer a requirement and has not been for decades

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember us getting stopped by the police in the early morning once in 1969 and the look of amazement on his face and his comment ( something along the lines of it being the first one he had ever seen) when my mate produced his car radio licence.

It is however no longer a requirement and has not been for decades

not like socket to use something he read in 1960 as current fact

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Some would say if you can afford a second home then you can afford a second TV license.

I didn't say I can't afford it. It just remains an anomaly. I can only watch TV in one place at a time, and I could simultaneously watch tv on a multitude of portable devices, but the moment one of them is plugged into the mains I need two licenses.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't say I can't afford it. It just remains an anomaly. I can only watch TV in one place at a time, and I could simultaneously watch tv on a multitude of portable devices, but the moment one of them is plugged into the mains I need two licenses.

What about your wife?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
she could sit in the flat watching iplayer on her ipad, covered by the house license. It is only if she turns on the telly that she needs a new license. It is still daft. All the content can be watched on any of her devices for free, but not on the telly.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If its a requirement for live TV, and he watches YouTube... Sky News Live streams to YouTube. I watch it most mornings.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If its a requirement for live TV, and he watches YouTube... Sky News Live streams to YouTube. I watch it most mornings.
Brian , In Spain are you required to have a TV licence :confused:, is it up to you or the property owner , or is there such a thing as a TV licence in Spain ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmmm. Spoke with my son and let's just say he doesn't use any of the 'standard' ways of watching live football. So is pretty adamant that he doesn't need a licence...and given his dire financial situation I don't blame him for taking that view.

Wolf

Visit site
Hmmm. Spoke with my son and let's just say he doesn't use any of the 'standard' ways of watching live football. So is pretty adamant that he doesn't need a licence...and given his dire financial situation I don't blame him for taking that view.
So he acknowledges he watches live football so there for would legally need a tv licence to watch it on tv, but he's telling you he doesn't use any standard ways of doing so.... So therefore must be streaming the games from places that are not within the confines of legal broadcasting and thats ok as a justification for not paying a tv licence.

I may be hugely missing what you're saying but there are only 2 ways to watch it, through legal paid for subscription services or through somewhat iffy streaming and if its the latter which is exactly how your post reads then your saying your OK with him doing something thats not allowed to save him money.. Many people are struggling financially but still have to pay licence fees,, id have thought someone with your values would see the hypocrisy in these actions.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

And you say that he views YouTube, which live streams Sky News. He might be ok but I’d hazard a guess he’s not.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So he acknowledges he watches live football so there for would legally need a tv licence to watch it on tv, but he's telling you he doesn't use any standard ways of doing so.... So therefore must be streaming the games from places that are not within the confines of legal broadcasting and thats ok as a justification for not paying a tv licence.

I may be hugely missing what you're saying but there are only 2 ways to watch it, through legal paid for subscription services or through somewhat iffy streaming and if its the latter which is exactly how your post reads then your saying your OK with him doing something thats not allowed to save him money.. Many people are struggling financially but still have to pay licence fees,, id have thought someone with your values would see the hypocrisy in these actions.

I may not be happy that he might be using an iffy source for watching football- but I am not the keeper of my son's values. And yes there are many who have little money but pay their licence - but I do not know what they watch or do for their viewing - that is their decision. My son regularly runs out of money for his (expensive) gas and electricity meters and for food and has to ask us for help - so I can understand why he might seek ways to cut his outgoings.

And in case you missed it, I indicated that I would probably pay his licence fee for him in any case...hopefully things will pick up and he'd be able to afford it in the future.