TV Licence required

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
can't see another thread on this so apologies if there is one.

My son does not watch any BBC channel and does not use iPlayer. I was looking on the TV Licencing site to register his home as not having a licence, but spotted that one condition for having a licence looks to be if you stream using any online TV service such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or Sky Go.

He uses YouTube and I think he uses Amazon Prime - but is there a specific use of these services that is what makes it necessary to have a TV Licence. For instance don't we all use YouTube but is there specific live TV streaming through YouTube that catches you?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My son does not watch any BBC channel and does not use iPlayer. I was looking on the TV Licencing site to register his home as not having a licence, but spotted that one condition for having a licence looks to be if you stream using any online TV service such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV or Sky Go.

He uses YouTube and I think he uses Amazon Prime - but is there a specific use of these services that is what makes it necessary to have a TV Licence. For instance don't we all use YouTube but is there specific live TV streaming through YouTube that catches you?

From what I can gather it's only if watching live TV

So if their streaming live football on prime that's TV licence

If it's watching the latest crown on Netflix that's fine

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was under the impression that if your tv had the ability to watch anything BBC you needed a license. Don't forget the license fee covers radio as well.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

My son genuinely doesn't need a license but the hassle he gets from the licensing authorities is unbelievable and he is considering taking them to court for harassment. He has even had a visit with a police officer in attendance and the license official wanted to plug the TV into an unused aerial socket to "prove" that the TV (used as a computer monitor) could receive live TV programmes. It's been ongoing for years.

There is plenty of similar tales on line with some having been filmed. It's almost a case of if you have a tv, it's probably not worth the aggro of not having a license.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

My son genuinely doesn't need a license but the hassle he gets from the licensing authorities is unbelievable and he is considering taking them to court for harassment. He has even had a visit with a police officer in attendance and the license official wanted to plug the TV into an unused aerial socket to "prove" that the TV (used as a computer monitor) could receive live TV programmes. It's been ongoing for years.

There is plenty of similar tales on line with some having been filmed. It's almost a case of if you have a tv, it's probably not worth the aggro of not having a license.

For the sake of £13 a month it's not worth the hassle I find

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
from the website link provided by Leftie

You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

• non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services
  • videos or DVDs
  • clips on websites like YouTube

IanMcC

Visit site
My daughter had a visit from the radar people. She explained she only watches Netflix and that was fine. The lady was as nice as pie, apparently. When I saw this thread I thought it would be about Lineaker. What a misguided idiot he turned out to be!

Wolf

Visit site
SILH does he listen to the radio... That's also covered im just assuming he does as you've mentioned he's a musician and would have thought he listened on occasion due to his interest in his area of work..

That aside if he genuinely doesn't and doesnt watch or have means to watch live TV then as I'm led to believe he doesnt need one. Imo the whole thing should be scrapped but that's a different debate..

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Martin Lewis to the Rescue!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

1. No you do not need it for radio
2. It only covers live TV and iPlayer
2. You can watch independent Streamers as long as you do not watch live broadcast television.

I know a couple of family’s who don’t own a TV and therefore don’t have a TV licence. We only have one so the wife can watch her trash TV on her days off.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wish they would include the licence in your sky or virgin fee

Then it's just one monthly fee. Rarther like line rental on a phone line.. that No1 notices or cares about it's just paid

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Martin Lewis to the Rescue!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

1. No you do not need it for radio
2. It only covers live TV and iPlayer
2. You can watch independent Streamers as long as you do not watch live broadcast television.

I know a couple of family’s who don’t own a TV and therefore don’t have a TV licence. We only have one so the wife can watch her trash TV on her days off.

I know that he does this as he watches live football - but I suspect not through any of the usual services - I do not of course suggest that he watches via an 'illegal' service - just to avoid any 'concerns' over illegality you'll understand...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you steam it live, i.e. at the scheduled time it is on then yes you need a license. If you only ever watch it on catch-up / on demand / whatever, i.e. at a later time of your convenience, then you don't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you steam it live, i.e. at the scheduled time it is on then yes you need a license. If you only ever watch it on catch-up / on demand / whatever, i.e. at a later time of your convenience, then you don't.
That's what I'm now understanding - I've pinged my son the link that ScienceBoy provided. He does watch live football by some means. As he is totally completely and utterly skint he's is reluctant to pay it as he feels that he doesn't actually watch any TV. Maybe best he just does.

I suspect a case could be made for such as my lad qualifying on a means-tested basis for free TV licence ahead of many OAPs. But that is a quite separate discussion so shan't go there. What'll probably happen is that I'll end up paying it.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what I'm now understanding - I've pinged my son the link that ScienceBoy provided. He does watch live football by some means. As he is totally completely and utterly skint he's is reluctant to pay it as he feels that he doesn't actually watch any TV. Maybe best he just does.

I suspect a case could be made for such as my lad qualifying on a means-tested basis for free TV licence ahead of many OAPs. But that is a quite separate discussion so shan't go there. What'll probably happen is that I'll end up paying it.
Every year when it comes round I try and make a case for not getting a TV licence as I absolutely resent the concept of it. I even made a topic here one year. But there is always one small thing that means I have to get it. For example, whenever a World Cup or Euros is on I'll be watching a number of those games live on BBC or ITV. Or failing that, I did stream a program from BBC iPlayer the other day. I think it's very difficult to legitimately claim you don't need the TV licence, there's always something you end up needing it for. Which annoys me but that's just how it is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I wish they would include the licence in your sky or virgin fee

Then it's just one monthly fee. Rarther like line rental on a phone line.. that No1 notices or cares about it's just paid

Does that mean you want the BBC, ITV, Channel4, Channel5 and all the other free to view channels to become pay to view services like Virgin and Sky. There are probably millions more viewers that do not have Sky or or Virgin than do.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why should I need another tv license in my second home? With one license I can watch iplayer anywhere in the UK, unless I am in my flat, when I need another tv license.
I don't mind paying once, but twice is taking the p.

Time to switch to battery power:LOL:

You don’t need a separate TV Licence for
  • Any device powered solely by its own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains). Your main home’s TV Licence will cover this
(note this is only a partial extract)