Streaming tv

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Streaming services .. seems the future is here

I currently have prime included with my annual prime service which I use for kids shows

I use the streaming for iPlayer and itv hub (adverts do suck tho)

Have bt sport via my actual TV package £18 a month for bt TV

Thinking of getting Disney plus for £60 a year and Netflix for £12 a month as need the many log in package

Seems such a better deal than when I threw all the Cash at sky.. yes was all in one place but unless it's live sport this has much better variety of things to watch

Anyone else gone full stream?

Don't even have an aerial in the new room

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
We have Netflix and Amazon along with freeview and freesat as i still like to record stuff on ITV etc and FF through the ads, which you cant do on catch up.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
bought a new iPad just before Xmas, got an email the other day saying it comes with a free year of Apple TV+, will need to have a look at that

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty much there except for the Disney package.
I Have a full Sky sports & BT package via my Virgin Media contract. I also have Prime and Netflix packages as well.
I stream quite a bit now, mostly the sports to the Bedroom TV via a media PC I've installed there, but also use Netflix and Amazon there as well.

I have gone one further, I have a NAS system and I can stream all the TV programs and films I've downloaded from there to any device I like wherever I am in the world, very useful! ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty much there except for the Disney package.
I Have a full Sky sports & BT package via my Virgin Media contract. I also have Prime and Netflix packages as well.
I stream quite a bit now, mostly the sports to the Bedroom TV via a media PC I've installed there, but also use Netflix and Amazon there as well.

I have gone one further, I have a NAS system and I can stream all the TV programs and films I've downloaded from there to any device I like wherever I am in the world, very useful! ;)

Disney is launched in march seems reasonable for £5.99 per month on 4 devices

I used to have the same virgin service .. would still have it but went to pot in my house.. just stopped working no matter what they did

Don't overly miss it now.. dad gave me his sky go and tbh I reckon I watch it less than once a month for sport if that

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have Netflix which is what, 8 or 9 quid a month? Amazon Prime which is logged into my brother-in-law's account. Have my dad's login for Sky Go so I can watch Sky Sports. A pay a tenner a month for BT Sports login, via our Plusnet broadband account. My missus pays for Now TV monthly entertainment package as well, we're watching Sopranos on that at the moment. We don't have a Sky/Virgin/whatever box for the TV and never have, just Freeview on there. It's not like you need to record anything these days, just steam it on demand from the relevant app.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have Netflix which is what, 8 or 9 quid a month? Amazon Prime which is logged into my brother-in-law's account. Have my dad's login for Sky Go so I can watch Sky Sports. A pay a tenner a month for BT Sports login, via our Plusnet broadband account. My missus pays for Now TV monthly entertainment package as well, we're watching Sopranos on that at the moment. We don't have a Sky/Virgin/whatever box for the TV and never have, just Freeview on there. It's not like you need to record anything these days, just steam it on demand from the relevant app.

Signs of change eh

It's defo worth it

Yeah Netflix can be dirt cheap

Looks like £9 for 2 log ins .. can always up to £12 if you need more .. parents want it so I'd be tempted to pay the extra and let them use it

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Netflix can be had for a good bit cheaper if you have a VPN on your laptop. Set it to Turkey, and sign up, it will be about a third of the cost over here. They will accept a uk credit card, and when you try it on a TV with a UK IP address, you will get the normal UK content.

Haven't tried this myself, but have seen plenty folk online who have.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Netflix can be had for a good bit cheaper if you have a VPN on your laptop. Set it to Turkey, and sign up, it will be about a third of the cost over here. They will accept a uk credit card, and when you try it on a TV with a UK IP address, you will get the normal UK content.

Haven't tried this myself, but have seen plenty folk online who have.

Their clamping down on this .. for one vpns are stopping working on Netflix as people would just say put themsleves in the USA and just get their content etc etc

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Their clamping down on this .. for one vpns are stopping working on Netflix as people would just say put themsleves in the USA and just get their content etc etc

yes, that's different, they don't let you use a VPN when watching, but I'm pretty sure there are no checks when you are signing up.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have Sky Q and BT sport in my house, but am streaming everything in my flat.
I have the usual iplayer, itv hub, etc at the flat, plus amazon, and sky go off my playstation. Sky go isn't full hd, which is annoying, but it is what it is if I want to watch the golf or the footy.
Don't presently have netflix.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have Sky Q and BT sport in my house, but am streaming everything in my flat.
I have the usual iplayer, itv hub, etc at the flat, plus amazon, and sky go off my playstation. Sky go isn't full hd, which is annoying, but it is what it is if I want to watch the golf or the footy.
Don't presently have netflix.

I have never found the quality of the picture on sky go to be any worse than HD.. certainly better than SD and to the naked eye without side by side I doubt if anyone actually notices the difference

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We have Sky+HD in the house as the missus doesn't really get on with streaming, she likes to go with what she knows.
I stream quite a bit on my Smart TV and tablets and we also use it when we're away in the Caravan.
We've just negotiated an all-in package with phone and broadband with Sky so it's not too bad and whilst we don't have BT Sport, the Father in Law does so I just use his for the tablet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have never found the quality of the picture on sky go to be any worse than HD.. certainly better than SD and to the naked eye without side by side I doubt if anyone actually notices the difference

Skygo is 720p, rather than 1080p. Put it on a decent sized screen, and the picture quality is way worse than it should / could be, and is very noticeable. It is fine on mobile devices because the screen is smaller.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Skygo is 720p, rather than 1080p. Put it on a decent sized screen, and the picture quality is way worse than it should / could be, and is very noticeable. It is fine on mobile devices because the screen is smaller.

Never noticed the diff between 720 and 1080

Sounds like people who say vinal records sound better even though the human ear can only hear a certain amount so it's almost impossible to detect the quality between a very good quality MP3 file and vino original

I've never watched a game and though oh this is pony

Same with Uhd barely any difference to HD

SD Though is like taking glasses off these days it's so obvious

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
As with most seniors, I am a dyed in the wool luddite when it comes to tech.
Just when i got used to paying for premium cable, they started adding all the streaming services on top of that.

As much as I enjoy the modern picture quality, there are things about analog that I liked. It was so easy to steal programming with a pirate box. Digital took care of that.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As with most seniors, I am a dyed in the wool luddite when it comes to tech.
Just when i got used to paying for premium cable, they started adding all the streaming services on top of that.

As much as I enjoy the modern picture quality, there are things about analog that I liked. It was so easy to steal programming with a pirate box. Digital took care of that.

Don't you have IPTV in the States then?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I think so if I'm guessing correctly as to what it i
My cable company offers some internet streaming services as if they were premium cable channels and I don't have to get my computer involved.
That's because the same provider handles my cable televison, internet, and land line phone services in a bundle package.

Still, I can't buy ALL the services. There are a lot of them.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think so if I'm guessing correctly as to what it i
My cable company offers some internet streaming services as if they were premium cable channels and I don't have to get my computer involved.
That's because the same provider handles my cable televison, internet, and land line phone services in a bundle package.

Still, I can't buy ALL the services. There are a lot of them.

No, over here, IPTV is the commonly used name for a method of obtaining all premium channels without paying the provider. All you need is an Amazon Fire Stick or similar, decent Internet connection, and a sub to the folk who supply the content illegally. Going rate for a sub is £30-£50 per annum apparently. As well as Sky etc, it is particularly popular for streaming EPL 3pm kick offs which are shown live on various US channels.