Internet Service Providers

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

We are moving into a new house (new to us) this week and I am trying to find out what best to use as internet service providers.
We are currently on Virgin Media, and I cancelled them to give us options when we move.

I really want BT sports, so BT seems to be in the pole position, but Virgin has a new customer deal which also contains that.

I am currently looking at

• BT EntertainmentBundle (https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/tv/packages/)
    GBP 40 monthly cost, comes with BT sport for free (18 months)
    Internet speed is up to 50 Mb
    I think it comes with a YouView+ TV box
    I don't know what router or home hub or whatever is in there
    You also get a GBP 100 Mastercard
  • Virgin Media FullHouse bundle (http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/full-house-bundle.html)
    GBP 57 a month, also comes with BT sport
    Internet speed is up to 108 Mb
    It comes with a Virgin TV V6 box
    And a Virgin Media Hub 3
    And you get GBP 150 credit right now

I might be missing other opportunities.

What really confuses me with BT is that they connect the TV box to the areal as well as the hub. My current Virgin Media setup I have 2 cables coming from the wall, and they are pretty much interchangeable. I have no idea where own the new house the sockets are (I know TV, we didn't really look for telephone), or if there is a working areal (they used Sky). Anything but the money is pointing me back at Virgin, I think.

What do people think is the best deal to get out there?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virgin all the way. I avoid anything that usess anything BT.
Virgin internet is so much better than the BT system and network.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BT youview uses freeview for most of the channels, other stuff ie BT sport is through the router, probably the home hub 5 or 6 now.

I had HH4 and ended up buying my own modem/router but apparently the issue I had have been sorted with the later hubs.

You can a reasonable idea of speed here :

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Guess you need to move in and see where everthing is to decide.

We had virgin at our previous house and they wouldn't lay the cable round the house from outside so had to drill through 2 walls and lay the cable around the skirting to set up in the room we were using, wasn't the preetiest job.

I have BT infinity and its been rock solid but as its FTTC ,speeds are as good as virgin but good enough to stream and download what I need.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Been on BT Infinity for a couple of years now, absolutely no issues and very happy, wouldn’t change.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been on BT infinity for several years now but I negotiate a new deal at the end of every contract period. BT are the fasted rated service where I live by quite a margin. Sadly I do not live in a Virgin cabled area as I might do the swap.

The aerial to the box is necessary to get the standard TV services same as a digital TV (at least on the basic box I have but I now see that they offer a box with recording).

Not to bothered about the TV side of things as I have Sky but as you are probably aware some of the Sky and BT things you get on Virgin.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never believe any companys advertised internet speed, its all up to, no promises.

Interesting... I am with Virgin 108Mb and whenever I can be asked, to check it, the readings have always been ABOVE that...
For example last week 112Mb... Wirelessly as well which I am told are usually lower...

I rather suspect anyone on Openreach which is just above everyone else irrespective of the final seller won't be getting that around here...

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had some development. Virgin had called with a last try before disconnect, I told them what I would get from BT and added a bit of license, so for GBP 40 a month I get BT sports 1, 2 and ESPN onto my current GBP 64 package, free installation this Friday already. That's one word down.