Virgin landline phone

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our landline phone (yep, we still have one) is with Virgin - and today, they switched it over to a digital service - so it's run through the Virgin hub.
We set it up exactly as they instructed which was a very simple process anyway - and of course, it doesn't work. (Sort of what I expected really ...)

Any one else gone through this process with Virgin - and did you have any issues? More importantly, does your phone work?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Our landline phone (yep, we still have one) is with Virgin - and today, they switched it over to a digital service - so it's run through the Virgin hub.
We set it up exactly as they instructed which was a very simple process anyway - and of course, it doesn't work. (Sort of what I expected really ...)

Any one else gone through this process with Virgin - and did you have any issues? More importantly, does your phone work?
We changed over late 2021 - we just plugged the phone into the hub and it worked straight away.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We tried to dump the landline but it would have cost us more..
The phone is unplugged so it never rings and we couldn't see the point of switching it over as we never use it. Only calls we ever got on it were chugger trying to sell us something..
I haven't given out the landline number in almost 20 years.....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We tried to dump the landline but it would have cost us more..
The phone is unplugged so it never rings and we couldn't see the point of switching it over as we never use it. Only calls we ever got on it were chugger trying to sell us something..
I haven't given out the landline number in almost 20 years.....

We will ditch the line in 2025 when the bt contract ends

In our area we have community fibre. 1gb broadband £25 a month no landline needed

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not Virgin

I am with GigaClear and the VOIP works fine. It is an optional extra with them but might ditch it as everybody phones me on my mobile despite being asked to use the 'landline' number.

My son has Virgin and is like Imurg he simply got fed up with spam calls.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We gave Virgin a month's notice to cancel when our contract was up, as it was increasing to £56 a month.
Next day their retention dept called, we got a new broadband only deal starting immediately at £19.99 a month.
We never used their TV box or phone line it mainly got sales calls.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
We had an issue when we first moved to the Virgin digital landline. It was due to our old handset not being up to date enough to cope with the digital signal. Had to use a newer type of handset. Don't know the details but we swapped it with one we had lying around which worked.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not Virgin

I am with GigaClear and the VOIP works fine. It is an optional extra with them but might ditch it as everybody phones me on my mobile despite being asked to use the 'landline' number.

My son has Virgin and is like Imurg he simply got fed up with spam calls.
Yup that's why we ditch the landline, but the mobile is getting loads of spam now we have been switched to O2 which is getting very annoying

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Virgin have just installed cable onto our estate, super fast broadband here we come. I rang them this morning to confirm that we could do our calls through the internet, VOIP, but they said no, it was to be broadband only. They could not explain why, it made no sense to them either. Very annoying.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Virgin have just installed cable onto our estate, super fast broadband here we come. I rang them this morning to confirm that we could do our calls through the internet, VOIP, but they said no, it was to be broadband only. They could not explain why, it made no sense to them either. Very annoying.

Do you need a landline that much? Thought they were starting to slowly die out? I mean we have one and 2 people call it

Once I go community fibre next year I'll be ditching it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you need a landline that much? Thought they were starting to slowly die out? I mean we have one and 2 people call it

Once I go community fibre next year I'll be ditching it
My mum rings on it, my FiL rings on it. Our mobile signal is awful in the house. We can use Whatsapp to ring but if the other person doesn't have that, or we are ringing a company such as energy, water, bank etc. then we need a landline still. The weird bit is that the landline, with cable / fibre, can go through the router and it should cost nothing. We will all be going on to that by 2025, if you want a landline. The fact that the infrastructure is there for this in this instance but they can not do it suggests they were blocked by Ofgem or equivalent until Openreach also have have speed fibre installed. It's illogical to have the tools and be blocked.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mum rings on it, my FiL rings on it. Our mobile signal is awful in the house. We can use Whatsapp to ring but if the other person doesn't have that, or we are ringing a company such as energy, water, bank etc. then we need a landline still. The weird bit is that the landline, with cable / fibre, can go through the router and it should cost nothing. We will all be going on to that by 2025, if you want a landline. The fact that the infrastructure is there for this in this instance but they can not do it suggests they were blocked by Ofgem or equivalent until Openreach also have have speed fibre installed. It's illogical to have the tools and be blocked.

Yeah it's very weird to block it

Do your phones support WiFi calling? That's been a real revelation for those with poor mobile signal at home

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah it's very weird to block it

Do your phones support WiFi calling? That's been a real revelation for those with poor mobile signal at home
Annoyingly, mine did originally, I was with 3. When I changed sim that stopped. It was very useful and did the job as you describe. My wife's phone, newer than mine, did not offer this at all 🤷‍♂️ . It is something we will both look out for next time we change our handsets as our whole estate is a blackspot, no carrier covers it properly.