Multi room Tele

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have had only one TV in the house.. finally the Mrs has agreed to letting another tv into the extension. I have an extra Virgin box somewhere in the loft. But how does one go about connecting it. Does this require a lot of wiring to connect them. Why can’t I just cast it using all the wifi in the house ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont know about virgin but on sky you have a main wired box to your sky cable from your dish then you can have an additional smaller secondary box that is connected by wifi to the main box

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With Sky is requires an additional payment for multiroom.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/set-up-multiroom

I saw the VM help. it says plug your VM box into the wall... Currently i only have 1 wall unit (where VM enters the house)... Does it mean, i need to now tap that wall and pull cables into the new room and create another wall unit.
It looks like the Sky Q is a btter option since it is connnect to the first unit via wifi. I have a 1G connection and couple of notes running a wifi mesh.. So I could easily run a different box if it is on wifi... i would need a sparky if I need to pull a co-ax cable under the house to the new
extension

1676810905236.png

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I saw the VM help. it says plug your VM box into the wall... Currently i only have 1 wall unit (where VM enters the house)... Does it mean, i need to now tap that wall and pull cables into the new room and create another wall unit.
It looks like the Sky Q is a btter option since it is connnect to the first unit via wifi. I have a 1G connection and couple of notes running a wifi mesh.. So I could easily run a different box if it is on wifi... i would need a sparky if I need to pull a co-ax cable under the house to the new
extension

View attachment 46552
Sorry I do actually have VM but a quick search came up with what I posted.

I have Sky and when I want to watch it another room I use sky go on the laptop connected to the TV via HDMI.

Prior to all of this (many years ago ) I ran coax cables to all rooms with a signal booster and a multi outlet box.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also need a decent wi-fi connection for SkyQ. Ours is pretty poor and we constantly have pixelation on our mini box.

Does it not just send the existing signal from the Sky Q box to the mini box over the Wi-Fi network? I thought an internal Wi-Fi signal (from device to device) was pretty quick so it shouldn’t matter what your download speed is. Maybe I’m completely misunderstanding how it works though 😬

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does it not just send the existing signal from the Sky Q box to the mini box over the Wi-Fi network? I thought an internal Wi-Fi signal (from device to device) was pretty quick so it shouldn’t matter what your download speed is. Maybe I’m completely misunderstanding how it works though 😬

They create their own mesh network, so in very basic terms, yes. They can talk box to box. However, if the main box is in the west wing, the router is in the middle and the second box is in the east wing, the router will be the middle man,,, That make sense?

I run my SkyQ on its own wifi mesh so its clear. Bought a secondary mesh system to have as the house 'WiFi' and it works brilliantly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you are right, it requires me to run a new Coax to the extension... it is bonkers that in this day and age, you need to run cables. though cables are generally more reliable than wifi

This very true. One of the things I did many years ago was to network the house with LAN cables so things like the TV and Sky box are cabled because the cabling is already there.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just get a firestick and plug that into new TV. Job done. You have got prime haven't you? Everyone's got prime even if only for the free delivery.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar here. Most of my/our important items are cabled as opposed to WiFi.

Likewise, cabling into most rooms from a multiport switch in the attic.

I made sure that the cabling is easy to locate and remove/replace though. For repairs/replacements as well as possible upgrades as bandwidth requirements start to increase.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We have Sky Q. At our old house, with brick walls, it struggled to connect between boxes, so I fitted a mesh system and it all worked really well.
At our new house, it's more modern with plasterboard walls, so the signal bounces around the house pretty easily.