Virgin landline phone

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We have Sky Broadband Fibre from when we moved into the house and our phone is plugged directly into the router. I am not sure exactly how old our phones are but I am guessing about 10-15 years old and they work fine with it. I would do without it as everyone I know calls me on my mobile, but my missus still likes to use the landline despite having more than enough call time on her mobile. And if we lose the broadband, we also use the landline.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mum rings on it, my FiL rings on it. Our mobile signal is awful in the house. We can use Whatsapp to ring but if the other person doesn't have that, or we are ringing a company such as energy, water, bank etc. then we need a landline still. The weird bit is that the landline, with cable / fibre, can go through the router and it should cost nothing. We will all be going on to that by 2025, if you want a landline. The fact that the infrastructure is there for this in this instance but they can not do it suggests they were blocked by Ofgem or equivalent until Openreach also have have speed fibre installed. It's illogical to have the tools and be blocked.
I have a a fairly bad mobile signal and was one of the reasons for keeping a landline number.

One of mates then pointed out you can make mobile phone calls over WiFi (assuming your mobile provider supports it). He uses Lebara and I use 1p mobile and we can both do it.

His set up on the phone was very easy he just had to go to settings and there was a tab for it. I had to go onto a help forum for my OPPO phone, a bit more complicated but it was there. (Android phones)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a a fairly bad mobile signal and was one of the reasons for keeping a landline number.

One of mates then pointed out you can make mobile phone calls over WiFi (assuming your mobile provider supports it). He uses Lebara and I use 1p mobile and we can both do it.
It depends on a combination of provider and phone. I've had Lebara, couldn't do it, couldn't do it with any provider other than 3, who provided the handset on my original deal. I'm guessing something in the software blocks that option out with anyone other than 3 🤷🏻‍♂️. Sneaky.