recommodations for a smart tv

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I haven't owned a tv set in ages. Actually, I fullfill all my entertainment needs via the internet these days, mostly Netflix and YouTube plus the online streams from public German tv broadcasters, mostly. I also still have many DVDs which I haven't watched in ages, because my DVD player in my computer is junk and can't handle most of them. So my plan is to get a relatively small 32" tv set with internet capabilities, so that I can watch from my bed or my couch instead of sitting at my desk all the time.

Since I am pretty much out of the loop as far as tvs and entertainment systems are concerned, I could do with a few hints what to look out for or maybe recommondations for specific models or manufacturers in case someone here has just bought a tv he or she is especially pleased with.

I need it to have Wifi, because getting a LAN cable there would be ugly and complicated. Apart from that I am a bit at a loss. What is the difference between HD ready and full HD for example? Can I watch stuff from streaming services which are not pre-installed? Or am I limited to what is on there when I get it?

U

User62651

We have a 2 yo LG LED 42" 4K HD smart tv which didn't cost the earth, maybe £600, does the job pretty well. Picture from internet/server based apps is amazingly good. Picture from freeview via a roof aerial is good but not quite as good as internet based feed. Sound is good too, I bought a soundbar extra but sold it on as it didn't improve the sound that much.
Pre installed apps are handier but you can always cast from your phone/tablet to a smart tv. I think you should be able to download apps to the tv as you need them. Tv system will update itself from time to time with upgrades etc.
We run BT infinity broadband and my main landline phone socket is too far from the tv to hard wire router to tv so I just have a TP Link wireless set up to link tv and wifi. Works great.
I just took a look at Argos for offers, price checked around a bit but went with them for convenience as I could collect.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have an LG tv, 5yrs old now. The Smart section has Netflix, Amazon, Rakuten, Youtube etc. I have a feeling it connects to an LG site which hosts these so they keep it up to date, not the tv itself. I may be wrong but that is what it feels like. LG do really clear tv's easy to use, look smart etc. They bring out new models more often than Taylormade, well we are on a golf forum :LOL:, so I could not tell you which model to go for. Pick any 32" LG smart tv, it will do the job.

I need it to have Wifi, because getting a LAN cable there would be ugly and complicated. All Smart tv's should be wifi capable, it is how mine connects and it is 5yrs old, ancient in tv terms.

What is the difference between HD ready and full HD for example? Full HD gives a better picture, more pixels. If the difference is marginal go for full HD

Can I watch stuff from streaming services which are not pre-installed? Or am I limited to what is on there when I get it? You can download some apps, not sure which ones. You would need to check for each brand. It is not something I do so you will need someone else to answer that.

U

User62651

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...tv-with-built-in-dvd-player-10188044-pdt.html

Got on of these for my son's room, good little tv and easy to setup all the streaming sites as the apps are built in, plus has a dvd player attached

Recently charity binned just about all our dvd's, got some new flooring so took the chance to tidy a bit, were just clutter in a bookcase, never watched them anymore, too much choice of new films/shows from BT or Netflix etc. Kids have a load too that they've outgrown and never watch now which I'll be clearing out too, they'll be scratched useless anyway so good for the bin probably.

Point is I think DVDs are soon to be history.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Thanks for your input, guys. I decided on an LG. It was a bit more expensive than some of the other models, but looked and felt the most reliable and the user interface seemed relatively straightforward and uncluttered. I haven't really tried it out yet, I spent the majority of the evening mounting it to the wall (which ended with me calling my dad to bring his drill hammer, because my power drill just didn't cut it ... I have no idea what those walls are build of, but I am sure it will withstand a nuclear attack ...) but I have a feeling me and my remote control are going to have an exciting time tonight (eh ... that sounded a lot less weird in my head now ...:oops:)