BBC TV licence for over 75s

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Bumped into the meter reader Monday as I was returning home. He’d just happened to read my outside meters and he explained he’d not done the job for long. His PDA told him he has to post a TV license leaflet through the door. It was the first time he’d come across it.
I’ve only been in my new house for a week and I’ve had two threatening letters, and a leaflet! I’ve already told them I don’t need a licence!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The Beeb pays way more than that to its top presenters. The salaries listed are those paid to the presenters for programmes made directly by the Beeb, not those made by BBC Studios Ltd nor those made by a production company subcontracted by the Beeb.

Its not just that though. Just using Match of the Day as one of the examples. Liniker on £1.5m, Shearer on £450k, Ian Wright similar, and Danny Mills and Kieron Dyer. Then there's the live matches; 2 or 3 ex-footballers doing pitch side padding before the game and at half time, along with the presenter with them. The commentator and co-commentator.... once upon a time it was John Motson doing commentary and Jimmy Hill doing the studio work.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Beeb pays way more than that to its top presenters. The salaries listed are those paid to the presenters for programmes made directly by the Beeb, not those made by BBC Studios Ltd nor those made by a production company subcontracted by the Beeb.

Its not just that though. Just using Match of the Day as one of the examples. Liniker on £1.5m, Shearer on £450k, Ian Wright similar, and Danny Mills and Kieron Dyer. Then there's the live matches; 2 or 3 ex-footballers doing pitch side padding before the game and at half time, along with the presenter with them. The commentator and co-commentator.... once upon a time it was John Motson doing commentary and Jimmy Hill doing the studio work.
Think you've confused him with someone else. :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

OK - but still it's not likely to make much of a dent in £745m - and that's £745m and growing year on year.

It is surely rather disingenuous to even suggest that top presenters remuneration, and salary increases for others, could somehow pay for the free licencing that is being cancelled for some of the over 75s currently receiving it. In respect of VfM for over 75s who will have to pay for it - I suggest that much of daytime BBC TV is directed at that age group - lucky them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
OK - but still it's not likely to make much of a dent in £745m - and that's £745m and growing year on year.

It is surely rather disingenuous to even suggest that top presenters remuneration, and salary increases for others, could somehow pay for the free licencing that is being cancelled for some of the over 75s currently receiving it. In respect of VfM for over 75s who will have to pay for it - I suggest that much of daytime BBC TV is directed at that age group - lucky them.

There's 3 million households that will lose out, according to the House of Commons briefing papers. 3x £154 = £460m, not £745m.

If you look at the number of Directors the Beeb has, i.e. one for each of the many, many divisions within the Beeb, with each of them on a salary of around £250k. Then there's all the deputies in those divisions. Then the hordes of presenters. Add to that things like the cost of the Eastenders set etc and you'll be pretty damn close to £460m.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There's 3 million households that will lose out, according to the House of Commons briefing papers. 3x £154 = £460m, not £745m.

If you look at the number of Directors the Beeb has, i.e. one for each of the many, many divisions within the Beeb, with each of them on a salary of around £250k. Then there's all the deputies in those divisions. Then the hordes of presenters. Add to that things like the cost of the Eastenders set etc and you'll be pretty damn close to £460m.

On the Eastenders set. As I was working up in BBC Elstree Studios for 6 months a year or so back I could see what was going on with the set. The old one is absolutely falling apart and with the more very high definition TV about you could tell that most of it was timber and paper (see Crossroads set). So leave as is and patch it up - and soon might as well scrap Eastenders - doubt that that woul dhave gone down very well with the fans - and they remain legion I believe.

It's really quite funny when you are on such as set - when there is what you see on TV and what the reality actually is. And the actors changing rooms were pretty old and decrepit portacabins...! They were building the new set in a really squeezed in area with loads of old underground stuff to get relocated - TV and film sets like Elstree are incredibly complicated with so many years of piecemeal development. I don't know why it is costing quite what it is - but can imagine why and building it elsewhere with all the security and facilities required would I am sure have been considered - and dismissed.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I cant think of a single thing I would miss without the BBC. Sky and Netflix give more than enough quality tv.

I see no reason why it can't be subscription based, apart from the fact it would cease to exist if it did. Sky can turn channels of with hours of me unsubscribing to them. Why not with the BBC.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Several good advert free radio channels, and a very decent ad free website.

Even if you don't like their TV (and I simply don't buy that there isn't something for everyone with BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4), £12 a month is great value.
Its only good value if you use any of it. I hardly use any of it, so for me it's very bad value for £12 pm.