BBC TV licence for over 75s

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We should now be allowed to choose. If we want their biased views anda bit of nature tv, PS Dave's already in with Netflix, we pay up. For those of us, I would guess at least 50%, who don't need the lying cheating scum, we can spend our money elsewhere.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It's now a tax if you watch ANY LIVE TV!!!!!

Why do none of the other channels ask for a percentage of this money?????

FYI - ITV (and local variations) as well as Channel 4 have public broadcasting roles and receive public funding for these commitments.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s the problem imo .
Most older people don’t use websites.
The beeb have diversified to much.
It’s supposed to be a tv licence.
Maybe the tv needs separating from the rest when it comes to the licence.
Website is nothing to do with the license anyway. You don't need a TV license to look at their website - only if you stream match of the day live from there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO, the BBC need to look at all of the channels, radio, tv, world services etc and look at what is essential. Ditch the extra channels and concentrate on its core ones. They have diversified far too much and all of that costs money. It is like a business who has expanded too rapidly and needs to gets to what it does well and what it is really about.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's now a tax if you watch ANY LIVE TV!!!!!

Why do none of the other channels ask for a percentage of this money?????

Because they earn millions through advertising which allows them to operate - they are “independent” broadcasters or you can pay through subscription to other content

I see BBC are getting pelters for this but is it not ultimately the Government calling the shots - all the license fee certainly doesn’t go back to the BBC to produce the content , the government take their cut - why I’m not sure and it’s the government constantly cutting funding that is the issue , they were the ones that allowed over 75 to not be able to pay - they have taken that away and forcing the BBC to fund that but it’s not sustainable if they.

But there is no need to worry - surely Boris has said previously in a promise that free license for all over 75 so when he wins the race the funding will return 🙄

Website is nothing to do with the license anyway. You don't need a TV license to look at their website - only if you stream match of the day live from there.

How do they pay for the website ? 🙄 from the funds from the license , same as the radio content , the online channels etc etc - it all comes from the license fee

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
They get some of the fee????

Not sure of the exact details, but they get some kind of financial or economical benefit from the public purse / license for continuing with local news / welsh language broadcasting etc.

As I said, there are a lot of things that a commercial broadcaster would simply not cover if it wasn't for the public service element that compels them to.

Have a look at American or Australian TV when you are ever travelling. It is poor quality / biased / full of adverts and recycled content etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
IMO, the BBC need to look at all of the channels, radio, tv, world services etc and look at what is essential. Ditch the extra channels and concentrate on its core ones. They have diversified far too much and all of that costs money. It is like a business who has expanded too rapidly and needs to gets to what it does well and what it is really about.

Just on that, the BBC websites and TV channels all have adverts same as any other commercial channel. No idea if they are self sustaining (prob not) but they do collect a chunk of ad revenue from round the world

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just on that, the BBC websites and TV channels all have adverts same as any other commercial channel. No idea if they are self sustaining (prob not) but they do collect a chunk of ad revenue from round the world
If it is self sustaining that is fine, if not then it has to be looked at. Why are UK licence payers paying for someone in (fill in country) to listen to BBC radio or watch (awful) BBC world news etc free of charge? That is fine, perhaps not, when money is plentiful but it is clearly not now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If it is self sustaining that is fine, if not then it has to be looked at. Why are UK licence payers paying for someone in (fill in country) to listen to BBC radio or watch (awful) BBC world news etc free of charge? That is fine, perhaps not, when money is plentiful but it is clearly not now.

I should've added that most of the bbc TV channels are subscription based so folk pay to get them in their packages (I think as you say the bbc international news channel is free though) So they collect subscription revenue (indirectly)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The point to remember about bus passes is that they only cost the Council anything when they are actually used.

I must admit if I lived in somewhere with a decent bus service I would actually use mine.

I do know that, and even if I didn't, I was reminded in post no.35

The point I was making was what's the point of giving free stuff to people who are well off. A bit like giving Richard Branson a state pension

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite happy not to have the BBC and scrap the license fee. Yet to think of anything save with david attenborough on the bbc that's worth watching/paying for.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We pay the top* BBC Presenters £22m a year; Let's fund free BBC licences for the over 75s instead.

...so the indignant headlines of the papers today could be saying.

Except the cost of free BBC licences for over 75s is £745m per annum - and that figure will increase as number of >75s increase year on year.

Anyway - let's just ditch all the top earners...and not replace them - now let's see - where do we find the remaining £723m

But never mind. Bash the BBC - always makes for a good headline or two.

*£150k/annum