TV license

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn't referring to you specifically, it started on a previous pages. I suppose when talking about what the BBC provides the radio would spring to mind, but given that it's a TV licence discussion I don't really think it's relevant.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
etc

I don't know, I think it has some relevance in that is forms part of the cost of the TV licence as it is used to fund BBC radio and so the licence fee would, I assume, be cheaper without funding BBC radio. I no longer listen to any main stream BBC radio. Too old for Radion One, Not a fan of the presenters of Radio Two or the music and never listened to Radio 3 or 4. Radio 5 has been going down hill for ages and drops every other sport in favour of football. Again, Radio One, Radion Two and the sports element of 5 Live are covered by no end of commercial stations. BBC local radio is great, relevant news, coverage of local sports teams, good value there. Whilst I do not need licence to listen to them, I do have to pay for them if I want a TV. Again, I would like to see the national radio budgets cut to fund local radio to a greater extent and also to fund a BBC news station on the radio. That, to me, would be public service broadcasting. You could have some shows that broadcast to all local stations, like perhaps the Sunday chart rundown/

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know, I think it has some relevance in that is forms part of the cost of the TV licence as it is used to fund BBC radio and so the licence fee would, I assume, be cheaper without funding BBC radio. I no longer listen to any main stream BBC radio. Too old for Radion One, Not a fan of the presenters of Radio Two or the music and never listened to Radio 3 or 4. Radio 5 has been going down hill for ages and drops every other sport in favour of football. Again, Radio One, Radion Two and the sports element of 5 Live are covered by no end of commercial stations. BBC local radio is great, relevant news, coverage of local sports teams, good value there. Whilst I do not need licence to listen to them, I do have to pay for them if I want a TV. Again, I would like to see the national radio budgets cut to fund local radio to a greater extent and also to fund a BBC news station on the radio. That, to me, would be public service broadcasting. You could have some shows that broadcast to all local stations, like perhaps the Sunday chart rundown/
Yeah, I suppose so. My comment was more at the people flippantly saying "oh I suppose you don't listen to the radio then" etc.

I never listen to BBC radio, aside from once a very rare blue moon if I'm in the car and there's football on and I might stick it on Five Live. The other stations though, I don't touch them. None are my cup of tea. I'm not even sure which is which out of Radio 2, 3 & 4 to be honest. I know I don't like Radio 1. 😆 I only listen to Radio X or Magic really depending on which mood I'm in - or if I'm in the car that has digital then Absolute 90s or Absolute 80s. 😄

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I suppose so. My comment was more at the people flippantly saying "oh I suppose you don't listen to the radio then" etc.

I never listen to BBC radio, aside from once a very rare blue moon if I'm in the car and there's football on and I might stick it on Five Live. The other stations though, I don't touch them. None are my cup of tea. I'm not even sure which is which out of Radio 2, 3 & 4 to be honest. I know I don't like Radio 1. 😆 I only listen to Radio X or Magic really depending on which mood I'm in - or if I'm in the car that has digital then Absolute 90s or Absolute 80s. 😄

I tend to listen to sport coverage on local radio. They cover the Tigers every week and so get my vote over 5 live that just want the crown jewel events and even then bump them to Sports Extra to cover football from the Beezer Homes league. I would love to see that sport budget sent to local stations to cover as many local teams as possible with a much reduced national budget to cover international sport with coverage broadcast through the local radio network.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's an irrelevant myth anyways

TV licence is nothing to do with radio .. might have been in the past but it's like "road tax" hasn't been around for decades but people still wrongly refer to it

Screenshot_2023-03-22-15-26-32-55_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do some people seem to think you need a TV license for the radio? :LOL:

You need a public broadcast licence for radio in many commercial properties.
However the money does not go to the Government it goes to those responsible for dishing out royalties.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need a public broadcast licence for radio in many commercial properties.
However the money does not go to the Government it goes to those responsible for dishing out royalties.
I seem to remember a radio DJ telling me it costs about £50 to play each record every time, but what they can do is buy it for unlimited use which works out massively cheaper for the station and is also the reason certain songs each month are almost hourly plays.