Biggest Baloney on a Course Website! Can you top this?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I remember correctly, it was Whitley Bay GC which benefitted massively from having a wealthy member who decided to lump all his spare cash into the club, mostly by paying for new greens.

I'm not 100% certain, it was a few years ago. Perhaps one of the locals can confirm.
It's a few years since I've played Whitley Bay but on that last occasion at least one hole was being entirely remodelled. I was told in the bar afterwards that it was a benefactor who was paying for it. If that person continued to pile money in, I wouldn't be surprised. Lucky Whitley Bay. I don't have inside knowledge, know any members etc but what you say makes sense.

It's a smashing course, I'm a fan. People come to the area and tend to play courses further up the coast or go to the name courses like Close House or Slaley. Whitley Bay should be on more lists for visitors.

One of the few courses up here that is regularly full, has a joining fee.

IJames

Visit site
There's some place in Surrey that goes on about having a hole that is their answer to the 17th at Sawgrass but it's supposed to be total dog :poop:

I reckon that might be Silvermere
If it is, then only because it also a Par 3 and the 17th! Certainly not a total dog though! Might also refer to the shot to the green on 18 (a Par 4). Spectators abound, but mainly watch for their own safety as the bar patio is not far past the green!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Letham Grange used to be known as "The Augusta of Scotland".
It's closed 4 years ago....
It was a very good course, just in the wrong location, and proprietary which isn't something too common in Scotland. But Scotland's Augusta was always laughable, there were no similarities at all that I could see

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any club that has the definite article in its name, and isnt The Berkshire, is already grasping above its station.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Any club that has the definite article in its name, and isnt The Berkshire, is already grasping above its station.

The thread started with a mention of "The Wiltshire." A new owner changed the name as the original had a poor reputation. He also tried to get reciprocals with other county named courses...a failed.

The funny thing is that Town subsequently was granted the Royal Charter.

Royal Wootton Bassett Golf Club would have has quite a ring to it!!😁😁