BBC

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Troubling to see men in their 60's in the TV documentary still badly afected by what happened to them in the 1970's.
So why don't they just forget it and move on?
The answer to this is also disturbing.
A part of the brain retains bad memories which cannot be removed.
It's called the hippocampus.
The vile memories spill out even more as you get older.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Troubling to see men in their 60's in the TV documentary still badly afected by what happened to them in the 1970's.
So why don't they just forget it and move on?
The answer to this is also disturbing.
A part of the brain retains bad memories which cannot be removed.
It's called the hippocampus.
The vile memories spill out even more as you get older.

It’s not been filed away at the back of the brain. It’s on rinse/repeat, rinse/repeat in the frontal lobe. Often diagnosed as PTSD.

As a long term sufferer, courtesy of a car accident, I know how it works. I also know how coping strategies are developed and embedded. But to quote the cognitive behavioural therapist, “you never really cure it. You just learn coping strategies and disciplines to manage it…. I went past where my accident took place yesterday, and for the first time ever it didn’t trigger a response. 18 years to reach this point.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
That may now be out of date.

"The study authors found that positive and negative memory cells are different from each other in almost every way—they are mostly stored in different regions of the hippocampus, they communicate to other cells using different types of pathways, and the molecular machinery in both types of cells seems to be distinct.

D

Deleted member 35599

I thoroughly enjoyed BBC's Dracula.
Not long after that time, I read a science article on their news site masquerading as fact. I did not think what I was reading stood up to scrutiny, so I looked into their source, it was a school child who had a GCSE in biology that they were quoting as facts about breakthrough science. In fact it was downright insulting.

That combined with R2's tendency to cater and pander to a younger audience that doesn't listen to the radio, whilst ignoring the tastes of their existing audience and the BBC bias and propaganda.... and the lies.

I had enough. I unplugged the aerial, cancelled my license, I don't listen to their radio stations and I don't use the website any more. As sad as I am to say it, I will not be sorry if they cease to be. I will lament the loss of what they once were, but not what they have been in recent years.

Red devil

Visit site
Not long after that time, I read a science article on their news site masquerading as fact. I did not think what I was reading stood up to scrutiny, so I looked into their source, it was a school child who had a GCSE in biology that they were quoting as facts about breakthrough science. In fact it was downright insulting.

That combined with R2's tendency to cater and pander to a younger audience that doesn't listen to the radio, whilst ignoring the tastes of their existing audience and the BBC bias and propaganda.... and the lies.

I had enough. I unplugged the aerial, cancelled my license, I don't listen to their radio stations and I don't use the website any more. As sad as I am to say it, I will not be sorry if they cease to be. I will lament the loss of what they once were, but not what they have been in recent years.
Lot wrong with the BBC but none of it involves bias, propaganda and lies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Excellent…you won’t be whinging on here about imagined BBC bias and propaganda then…

D

Deleted member 35599

There has been widespread criticism and questions levelled at the BBC over recent years and from many sources. Oxford University has been monitoring the situation closely. Perhaps it was all in the imagination of all of those silly people. Some liberals would certainly like to think so.

Others would say that some of those questions are still valid.

For me, it was enough when the BBC started to quote school kids as scientific fact. I saw that first hand. That is where I put my personal stake in the ground, but I do not expect everyone to have to agree with me.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
There has been widespread criticism and questions levelled at the BBC over recent years and from many sources. Oxford University has been monitoring the situation closely. Perhaps it was all in the imagination of all of those silly people. Some liberals would certainly like to think so.

Others would say that some of those questions are still valid.

For me, it was enough when the BBC started to quote school kids as scientific fact. I saw that first hand. That is where I put my personal stake in the ground, but I do not expect everyone to have to agree with me.
On what topic did they quote these kids as scientific fact?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I still really like the bbc. It gets incorrectly (in my opinion that is) labeled biased but I find it equally digs out the left and the right . It has some quality shows that I enjoy aswell.

Value for money I think is excellent…
I think the TV content is ok, some things good other things rubbish, the news content I think is about as trustworthy as all the other MSM.

National radio is excellent, local radio is a massive waste of money.

It’s such an enormous organisation that it’s hard to have such a Polarised opinion of it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Value for money I think is excellent…
I think the TV content is ok, some things good other things rubbish, the news content I think is about as trustworthy as all the other MSM.

National radio is excellent, local radio is a massive waste of money.

It’s such an enormous organisation that it’s hard to have such a Polarised opinion of it.

Yeah don't see the point of local radio but some must do otherwise it wouldn't be here I guess.