BBC

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I note that the BBC have apologised for printing a miss-leading graph on the Scottish alcohol deaths.
Wow has Hell just frozen over.
Still waiting for one on shrinking Scotland by 30% on the UK weather maps.;)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of old folks tales on here about rain in Scotland.

Wettest city in the UK is Cardiff
Wettest UK area is, I believe, the western Lake District of England
Not long ago much of Somerset was flooded for months.

The last few years we seem to have had little rain in Scotland
Global warming seems to be good for us. (y) ;)

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
They did at least know there is little point in forecasting the weather in Scotland.
You know what it's going to be.
England has 4 seasons but Scotland has only 2. June and Winter.
Now, now, that's unfair. Of course there are more than 2 seasons in Scotland. In fact, there are 5 - Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Midge

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
No names, but I see a former presenter is making news again today regarding an allegation of lewd behaviour at the BBC.
Reminds me of when commercials could not name their competitors and had to refer to a rival's product as Brand X.
Might be a clue there.
He is of course innocent unless proven guilty.
Same could not be said of the BBC who broadcast statements like "If you might be offended or have children, you might want to turn the radio down now."
Good old BBC, the responsible broadcaster.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Browsing channels last night I came across The Reckoning.
2nd episode tonight. 3rd and 4th not until next year.
Reckon this is correct.

He was the man who was both homeless and had several homes.
BBC knew about him, but kept quiet because he was good for ratings.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bearing in mind many of Seville’s victims will still be alive I am appalled that the Beeb have chosen to broadcast a programme like this. Disgust doesn’t even come close to how I feel about the Beeb at this moment.

Swango1980

Visit site
Bearing in mind many of Seville’s victims will still be alive I am appalled that the Beeb have chosen to broadcast a programme like this. Disgust doesn’t even come close to how I feel about the Beeb at this moment.
Were the victims not involved in this decision though?

One victim was being interviewed on ITV on Monday morning, who must have been involved in the production at some point (as she was talking about seeing Coogan when in character). From her point of view, she seemed determined to get something like this out, so people could see how horrific he was. And that includes the role many individuals played in covering it up, and the harm that did to his victims (she was 9 at the time of his abuse).

I've not seen it, so no idea how good or bad a job it does. But could it not be considered a brave move by the BBC? It seems like it would be easy to avoid it like the plague, rather than showcase one of the BBC's, and entertainment in general, most shameful element of their past.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were the victims not involved in this decision though?

One victim was being interviewed on ITV on Monday morning, who must have been involved in the production at some point (as she was talking about seeing Coogan when in character). From her point of view, she seemed determined to get something like this out, so people could see how horrific he was. And that includes the role many individuals played in covering it up, and the harm that did to his victims (she was 9 at the time of his abuse).

I've not seen it, so no idea how good or bad a job it does. But could it not be considered a brave move by the BBC? It seems like it would be easy to avoid it like the plague, rather than showcase one of the BBC's, and entertainment in general, most shameful element of their past.

As another who has not watched it, I can only go by the reviews and the concern there has been that there is a focus on how many other people were to blame as opposed to pointing the magnifying glance at the BBC. Now I am not saying that they are alone in the blame for ignoring this, covering it up or whatever but the reviews are pointing out an emphasis on all the other people and institutions that were involved.

Swango1980

Visit site
As another who has not watched it, I can only go by the reviews and the concern there has been that there is a focus on how many other people were to blame as opposed to pointing the magnifying glance at the BBC. Now I am not saying that they are alone in the blame for ignoring this, covering it up or whatever but the reviews are pointing out an emphasis on all the other people and institutions that were involved.
Absolutely.

Having read this post, I since had a watch of one of the interviews with one of the victims in relation to this show. It wasn't just the BBC. It was pretty much everyone in society that didn't act. Saville mixed in circles with the likes of Lady Diana and many others in the entertainment industry. And he was obviously involved in many charities, which all helped with the cover up.

We had a teacher at my secondary school, who had been there at least 20 years before I started. Everyone heard the rumours that he was an abuser, but even in the 90's it seemed like many in society, by default, would cover it up. He then got charged when I was in 5th year, and much of his abuse came to light. Many, many victims. And also reports as to how senior staff, including the headmaster, helped to cover it up. Back then, negative headlines were much more scary that legally dealing with an abusive teacher I guess.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely.

Having read this post, I since had a watch of one of the interviews with one of the victims in relation to this show. It wasn't just the BBC. It was pretty much everyone in society that didn't act. Saville mixed in circles with the likes of Lady Diana and many others in the entertainment industry. And he was obviously involved in many charities, which all helped with the cover up.

We had a teacher at my secondary school, who had been there at least 20 years before I started. Everyone heard the rumours that he was an abuser, but even in the 90's it seemed like many in society, by default, would cover it up. He then got charged when I was in 5th year, and much of his abuse came to light. Many, many victims. And also reports as to how senior staff, including the headmaster, helped to cover it up. Back then, negative headlines were much more scary that legally dealing with an abusive teacher I guess.

My feeling on this with the BBC program is that if you are going to point the finger at a number of institutions, you should point it at yourself first as the end result comes across as deflection if you do not. As I mentioned, not watched this yet but I would be disappointed if there is a hint of that deflection in the way it is presented.